Advice solicited on buying used LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Smile Advice solicited on buying used LT

OK guys, I was active on this board (when it was an email digest) back when I had my '99 LT-I but I sold it (best I can recall I was tired of buying tires every 6K miles and wanted something a bit sportier). Since then, I had an R1100R, then a K1200RS and then back to an RT (which I still have) but now I'm finding as I age I'm not hitting those corners as fast as I used to, riding two-up on the RT is not as pleasant as it was on the K bike, and so I'm considering getting back into the LT world. I will probably keep the RT, at least for a while.

So, I'm not going to buy new, they're just too expensive. I have not yet ridden a 2005/2006 because I'm afraid I'll like it and buy one on the spot, but I understand that they ride much better, different front end geometry and maybe better weight distribution? From looking at the classifieds here and on IBMWR.org it seems that I can pick up a used 2005 for around 16-17K or get something as old as a 2002 for around 10-11K.

Other than the obvious things like warranty and the '05 improvements, what are your thoughts on the differences? I have seen a couple of things about rear drive failures, but I assume that it's the same or a similiar problem that BMW has had with failures on the RTs, and although it happens, it's not some common problem that I really need to worry about (I hope).

I'll probably go to the stealership this weekend and ride a 2006. I hope to be strong and resist the temptation to buy new.

Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions. FWIW, I absolutely despise the EVO linked brakes, but I don't see much alternative unless I buy something pre-2001.

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:39 am

I own an '02 and am VERY happy with the bike. FWIW, I also ride a sportbike and find that the two compliment each other very well. I wouldn't sell my '02 just to trade UP to the '05/'06 model. Not enough of a difference for the money, IMHO. BUT...if I was buying today, I would be VERY tempted to get an '05 with low miles. I just wish they didn't come with that hydraulic centerstand. That's the one new "feature" that I really would like to see turned into an OPTION before I buy my next new LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeemerDude
FWIW, I absolutely despise the EVO linked brakes, but I don't see much alternative unless I buy something pre-2001.
Trust me...the linked brakes are more intuitive than you're giving them credit for. Stay off the front lever when you're going slow. But other than that, you'll find that they are very "smart". They aren't as linked as you may think they are. Don't get me wrong...I don't want linked brakes on my Ninja. But I have learned to LOVE them on my LT. Don't let this be a deciding factor for you. JMTC
post #3 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:09 am

I don't know where you are but at the local dealer in Wichita there is a left over 05. You could possibly find some other places and get a good deal on the new 05 instead of going used.

I have not ridden the 05 but if they are better than my 99 they are excellent.
The bigest problem I've heard of with the 05 is the centerstand having some problems.

post #4 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
I have not ridden the 05 but if they are better than my 99 they are excellent.

The bigest problem I've heard of with the 05 is the centerstand having some problems.
And some have a frontend shake.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #5 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:59 am

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliner2052
And some have a frontend shake.
The '05s have a "frontend shake"?! This is the first I've heard of that. I hope you're not referring to the mystery frontend wobble that all that years have experienced from time to time. I'm fairly convinced that "the wobble" is caused by worn and/or improperly balanced tires. 'Twas the case on my '02 a couple of times. No big deal though...
post #6 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Mess-13,
I should of called it wobble I suppose. I've read more about '05 and not being able to take your hands off the bars than other years. Remember they did change the geometry of the '05. Some have reported that reballance / new tire didn't fix. Who knows for sure.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #7 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 2:56 pm

I own an '03 and I am very pleased with it. It and the '04 with low mileage may be a good balance with the linked brakes, new rear end bearing config, multi disc cd, but no updated centerstand and the original geometry.

Your short tire life was probably caused by following BMWs recommendation for tire pressure. It should be 42 in the front and 48 in the rear. They gave me a new tire in the front because the recommendation was wrong in the manual...
post #8 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
Your short tire life was probably caused by following BMWs recommendation for tire pressure. It should be 42 in the front and 48 in the rear. They gave me a new tire in the front because the recommendation was wrong in the manual...
His short tire life may have also been caused by the Bridestone Exedra tire. They no longer manufacture that tire due to it's short lifespan. Very sticky, but you were lucky to get 6 or 8K out of it. I bought a NOS one off eBay last summer. I got it real cheap, so I didn't care too much. I don't think I got much more than 6K out of mine. Hopefully, that was the last one left on the planet.
post #9 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Power Center Stand

For those of you that just hate your power center stand, I'll be happy to swap it for the manual one on my 02.

Les
post #10 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Did the same thing

Hi Michael

I had the same questions when I was searching for my LT. Do I buy it new? do I buy it used?. I kept asking for test drives on the 05's at the dealer, and my dad had an 02 so I kept asking him to go out on rides. Could never decide.

Money was the big deciding factor and I ended up with an 02 LTC with 5800 miles on it (well 9000 now) that I picked up for 12K. Well since than my old man has upgraded to a new 05 (he liked the center stand, the dash and he seems to think the geometry makes the bike feel lighter) althought it really is not.

Me after buying my 02 and putting nearly 4K on it, and occasionaly riding my dad's 05. I would NOT trade my 02 and the price I paid for it for nothing. I had 17K to spend, spent 12K and kept the other 5 on the bank.

Just my two cents.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #11 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm

[QUOTE=messenger13]I own an '02 and am VERY happy with the bike. FWIW, I also ride a sportbike and find that the two compliment each other very well. I wouldn't sell my '02 just to trade UP to the '05/'06 model. Not enough of a difference for the money, IMHO. BUT...if I was buying today, I would be VERY tempted to get an '05 with low miles. I just wish they didn't come with that hydraulic centerstand. That's the one new "feature" that I really would like to see turned into an OPTION before I buy my next new LT.

I had an 01 LT and I thought the power center stand was a silly idea, now have an 05 and I love the power center stand and use it almost always. It also really helps about smoking at start up itstead of using side stand. Just my $.02 worth. Through the years I've learned the hard way to never say never.

Leon
05 Blue LT.
post #12 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Exclamation I bought a used bike.........

......from Chicago BMW. My avitar picture is me taking off from Chicago in January for Toronto, Canada. Yep, cold. Anyway, while you may have already bought something, here's what I learned.

1. Buy something still within the warranty period.
2. Buy used, the $$ you save are worth it, if #1 applies.
3. Buy in the winter, when the used bikes are just sitting there. Best prices.
4. The new LED dash - kinda neat but if you do any cold weather riding LED's don't work as well and harder to see at night. Personally I like the needles myself. The changes to the new bike are ok but you've gotta look at the $$ you save and determine if it's worth it for you.
5. Buy from a dealer. I know, I know........BUT, in the worst case scenario you have some recourse if the engine falls out or whatever. You get the idea.

Have fun.

toronto
2003 titan silver LT
1984 R100R
post #13 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Just so you know,, they DID change the front end geometry on the 05 model............Regards Pete
post #14 of 27 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:55 am

I owned a 99 LT for over 50k and currently have an 05 with 44k and there is no doubt, in my mind, that the 05/06 is much more bike for the $$$. The center stand was an issue with the early 05's and I did have this happen but as you would expect it was covered under warranty. A used 05 would be your best deal as the 06's have went up in price. RIDE SAFE
post #15 of 27 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:12 pm

Having just gone through this exact exercise here is what I found. I was looking for a clean low mileage '02 or '03 Custom Model. I ultimately found a deal on a pristine flawless '05 with 11K miles on it for almost what some '03's were asking. After searching for a few months here is what I would suggest. The best vintage seems to be the 2003's for these reasons ...... they are relatively free of the rear drive issues, they have the tape player replaced with single CD which allows you to remove the 6 CD changer and still have a CD (this allows more packing space in the right bag) many are still under factory warranty which allow easy purchase of extended warranty if you like, and many have low miles. If you look hard you can find a nice '03 for $11,500 to $12,500. Also, if you are like me at 6'3" tall the '03 models also had the better seat IMHO. I love my '05 but they sure messed up the seat for anyone over 6' tall. So I am now thinking of a aftermarket seat for my '05. But if you can find a good deal on an '05 you get more HP, power center stand (very nice feature) , better handling and factory warranty for sure. If you are inseam challenged then the '05 may really be the way to go. For me .... I think the ideal bike is a 2003 although I love my '05. I hope this helps.

Just keep looking ... every day .... check ALL classifieds and dealers. Look hard and there are some great deals out there.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #16 of 27 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:26 pm

Talking

I had an '99 LT, and jumped between it and my Harley. In '05, I bought a new '05 demo with 800 miles from Iron Horse in AZ. I paid $16,600 for it, which I considered an excellent price. In the Bay Area of CA, I couldn't find a deal on an '05 to save my life, and there were no demos available.

My wife and I LOVE the power center stand. With achy knees and a bad lower back, it makes putting the bike on the centerstand child's play--ever try putting a fully loaded LT on the centerstand, with a bad back? Good luck! Also, getting off the bike is easier when on the centerstand, IMHO.

I do prefer the low speed handling, parking lot maneuvers, on my '05 as opposed to my '99; and the bike does feel more flickable in the tight corners. The linked braking system does not hamper low speed braking in tight maneuvers, if you're NOT heavy handed (footed).

I love my '05, and it'll probably be the last motorcycle I buy--I'm not getting any younger!

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #17 of 27 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 4:22 pm

Talking New K1200LT

I just traded an '02 R1150RT for a '99 K1200LT six months ago. We are not long mileage riders but we had 36K miles in 2.5 years in the western US on the R1150RT.We travel mostly two up and I did not go for the K1200LT sooner because of the price. But with hindsight being 20/20 I should have done it in '02, whatever the price. The rides would have been ooooo so much better. If the new are any better than the '99, and I think mine is wonderful, go for it. I go for the curves just as hard as I did or more than the RT. I may have been afraid of dragging a head and end up with higher insurance premiums. I am 6'3" and 245lbs. so the RT felt a bit cramped but the K is comfortable and we can go all day again without being exhausted. The cruise control on straight roads and interstates. The heated seats are very welcome on 20 degree mornings. The only problem with a wobbly front end was a tire that went bad and worped. New tires no problems. If you think it is too heavy and may be apt to fall over. Well I witnessed a 125 lb. woman pick one up at Foothills BMW, in Lakewood, CO. If have used it, the bumpers on the side are there for a reason. Learn the technique to pick it up and enjoy.
post #18 of 27 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:34 am

Michael, as you said.......................!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #19 of 27 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998

Michael, as you said.......................!
Heh, heh, good point!

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions! The search continues...

Michael

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #20 of 27 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:58 am

Smile

PM sent to you Michael.
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Re: Advice solicited on buying used LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I own an '02 and am VERY happy with the bike. FWIW, I also ride a sportbike and find that the two compliment each other very well. I wouldn't sell my '02 just to trade UP to the '05/'06 model. Not enough of a difference for the money, IMHO. BUT...if I was buying today, I would be VERY tempted to get an '05 with low miles. I just wish they didn't come with that hydraulic centerstand. That's the one new "feature" that I really would like to see turned into an OPTION before I buy my next new LT.

Trust me...the linked brakes are more intuitive than you're giving them credit for. Stay off the front lever when you're going slow. But other than that, you'll find that they are very "smart". They aren't as linked as you may think they are. Don't get me wrong...I don't want linked brakes on my Ninja. But I have learned to LOVE them on my LT. Don't let this be a deciding factor for you. JMTC
You can have it both ways with a powered centre stand, weld a foot bar on the side and use it as a manuel centre stand, cos it works !!
post #22 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Another three old thread brought back to the top of the list.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #23 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 8:25 pm

just got 07 LT for 13k out of daytona, it does have 44k miles, however dealer servcie for 48k service wes completed, very clean bike excellent service from dealer, exteneded warranty ....keep checking ebay and classifieds.

happy trails.
post #24 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm

So whatever happened to BlueBeemerDude and his search for a LT?
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Don't know. His last post was June 5th 2006.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I went from a 01 Lt to a 07 Lt and like all or the improvments except the change in the riders seat. The change my have help the shorter riders, but seat is not as comfortable for a taller person like me, I am 6' 5" with a 35" inseam. As soon as I can afford it I am going to get a custom seat.

Last edited by tllogan; Jul 5th, 2009 at 9:59 pm.
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Another three old thread brought back to the top of the list.

WOw is this TimeRIDER or what?

I hope he found what he was looking for...

(might as well keep this thing going after all..)

someone might Hijack this thread....

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in