Coolant leak? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Coolant leak?

Yesterday afternoon we took off to meet our club at a place about 30mi away. We were supposed to meet up with another member on the way. When we got to the meeting place, we cruised the lots a few times, slow speed, looking for him. Temp guage went high pretty quickly, fans came on as they are supposed to. Ambient temp was mid 70s.

Our friend wasn't there yet, so we found a parking spot and stopped. Put the bike on the side stand and soon heard a sizzling sound.

Looked down to see something leaking out, directly under the motor area, hitting the pipe where it was sizzling. Got the bike up on the centerstand, and it quit leaking.

A finger test found the fluid to be coolant. A small puddle leaked out, 4in diameter or so.

I am guessing there is an overflow tank that when the bike heated up got additional fluid in it. Then, when I put the bike on the sidestand, the fluid came out the overfill tube.

We finished the outing, no problem, no undue heating.

Does this sound familiar? Should I check anything out?

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Re: Coolant leak?

Just make sure that the coolant level in the overflow/reserve tank is below the "MAX" line - when the bike is cold.

I'd suggest putting a mark on the tank at the coolant level when the bike is cold - then you have a reference point if you have more problems.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:14 am

Exclamation Re: Coolant leak?

Here is my 2 cents............If the leak was up front, it was probably next to the radiator cap where the little hose connects and then runs all the way back to under the rear seat to the expansion tank. Probably a loose clamp or a hole/crack in the rubber hose. If so, your expansion tank isn't doing you any good. So, when your engine is cold, your coolant level in the radiators is low and when it heats up, it looses coolant. I'd take the left tupperware off and have a look at the clamp on the hose near the cap.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in