Demo Day - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Demo Day

Well I got to Demo an LT and an RT on Tuesday. I loved the fit and finish of the LT as well as the creature comforts. I wish the LT had the pep of the RT and I understand that the weight difference plays into that. The RT was a fun bike and I really enjoyed the ride but I know when the days get long and the miles start adding up I will have wished for the LT. So to muddy the decision even more I am going back on Saturday to try the GT to see if it is a good compromise between the two. I am not trying to turn this into a which one should I buy debate but alot of the concerns with handling of the LT didnt seem to bother me. I felt comfortable with the weight and did a couple low speed u-turns and rode in stop and go traffic for awhile just to see how things went. My only concern was the power, it seemed very smooth but docile. Now since it was a new bike and had less than 20 miles on it I did not try and get on it to hard. I am just talking about 1st gear take offs and then the highway roll on acceleration.
I was not expecting the LT to be an R1 or GSXR class bike in those respects but the RT definitely had more feedback and feel. Maybe I was expecting a little to much from a touring bike my only bikes have been sportbikes (CBR600, Katana 750, Yamaha R1) and then my two cruisers ( Honda Valkyrie, and Suzuki M109R). So basically I am wondering if I just missed something with the LT? No I do not plan on knee dragging at Deal's Gap but I am wanting a little more feedback while riding. Sorry for the long post but this is a major purchase for me and want to be as informed as possible.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Re: Demo Day

Your not going to get the front wheel off the ground with an LT, but you will be surprised how well the LT will fly through the twisties. I have an LT and would never go back to a lesser bike. It will spoil you. Nothing better than listening to your favorite music as you slip past an inferior rider on a Ducati.

Vince - 2003 LT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_nj1
Your not going to get the front wheel off the ground with an LT, but you will be surprised how well the LT will fly through the twisties. I have an LT and would never go back to a lesser bike. It will spoil you. Nothing better than listening to your favorite music as you slip past an inferior rider on a Ducati.
That was one of the things that I really liked I was riding down the road with seat heat, heated grips on and the tunes blasting and thought man what have I been missing. Earphones and an Ipod gets old after awhile and makes my ears sore. I will wire up my next helmet no matter what I get.

JJ

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Wink Re: Demo Day

You are doing absolutely the right thing by riding all three bikes. People have different tastes and desires. I have owned my LT for 6 years now and I've never owned any other bike that long. It still satisfies my needs and handles so well in the twisties. Ride them all, you decide.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

4 years on a LT and still get that silly ass grin every time I ride. Ride what ever makes you fell good but you will not go wrong with a LT .

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 6:47 pm

All of the models mentioned earlier are great bikes.The LT was designed for long distance,2 up touring and plenty of cargo space.The RT and GT will do the same and are more city friendly.We ride an LT and mostly rocky mountain's back roads.The wife is just as comfortable as I am,after a few hours.The LT does just fine in bumper to bumper traffic,but sometimes I wish she was a few pounds lighter.

Good luck and enjoy the new bike,whatever your choice would be!

Robert.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Re: Demo Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrobi
All of the models mentioned earlier are great bikes.The LT was designed for long distance,2 up touring and plenty of cargo space.The RT and GT will do the same and are more city friendly.We ride an LT and mostly rocky mountain's back roads.The wife is just as comfortable as I am,after a few hours.The LT does just fine in bumper to bumper traffic,but sometimes I wish she was a few pounds lighter.
Wait until your wife reads this!! Oh, you meant you wish the LT was a few pounds lighter. OK, I gotcha...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:19 pm

You said you did not want to push the new LT to hard. The LT does not come into its own until after 4000 rpm you have to spin this motor for it to work. The LT also has a tall 1st gear so the fast get aways are hard on the clutch. You might want to take a second ride on the LT and see how you like it above 4000. After you ride the GT you may not look back, a great motor and great handling.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltride
You said you did not want to push the new LT to hard. The LT does not come into its own until after 4000 rpm you have to spin this motor for it to work. The LT also has a tall 1st gear so the fast get aways are hard on the clutch. You might want to take a second ride on the LT and see how you like it above 4000. After you ride the GT you may not look back, a great motor and great handling.
I am aware of the 4000 rpm sweet spot for the LT to shine I was just saying because it had less then 20 miles on the bike I did not want to push to hard. And because it was a new bike for sale the dealer was unable to just give me the bike for the day. The reason I am looking at the LT is because I do not want to buy say the GT and then spend forever getting it the way I want it like I have done with my last 2 bikes i.e. luggage racks, bags, seats, etc trying to get something made for the road. I guess the only thing missing on the GT for me is tunes it has the heated seat and grips just like the LT. I will know more after Saturday.

JJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in