Question on LT audio system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Question on LT audio system

All, I'm close to becoming part of the BMW community. She(who must be obeyed, my wife of 33 yrs) has given the go ahead to purchase an L T for our touring pleasure. We are looking at a 2001 with just under 8000 miles, a 2002 with 34.8 Kmiles and a 2005 with just under 14 Kmiles.

Here is what I'm considering:

2001. Owner asking too much. If he'll come down to a reasonable price this would be a good choice but no electro-hyd center stand. Is this a big deal?

2002. Great price, great shape. Good value but not first color choice and mileage is highest of the three.

2005. Absolutely spotless, price good, dealer serviced, owner took CD changer to put in his new bike. Will the single disk player atop the tank play MP3 format CD's? If so, then this is probably my favorite. If not, could a BMW auto player be subbed in for the tank to single disk CD player without losing fingertip control of it's functions?

Thanks for looking at this post.

Wa1200lt

Last edited by wa1200lt; Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:55 pm. Reason: Bberry auto insert error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Question on LT audio system

The only CD's I ever play in either the CD drive, or the 6 CD changer, are home burned. But the tunes aren't in MP3 format 'per se' but have been burned into CD cda format.

If I understand your question, the CD changer is the same one the BMW cars use, and will plug right in to the wiring harness. You might find someone here who has their changer out and is looking to clean the garage. A lot of folks have yanked the changers, and hooked up their ipods through one of several methods. You can search the site and find out lots more.

Personally, I wouldn't let the lack of the electo-centerstand be a deal breaker if you are happy with everything else. I'm an average sized guy and don't have a problem, even with a fully loaded bike, getting it up on the centerstand.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 8:02 pm

If the CD is the only hesitation on the '05 go for it. The CD player will not play MP3's but I don't find my CD player all that useful anyway. Mine skips like crazy and the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. I tried it a couple of times early on but it drove me completely bonkers. You are going to want to rig up an IPOD (non-CD) solution no matter what you do. I thought CD players would have phased out out by now anyway. They are a complex mechanical mechanism that is born to break, subject to dirt and can't handle vibration all that well. Out of the four or five I've had in vehicles, only one is still operable.

Did the PO take the wire harness with the Changer? If not, then you are in phat city!!! Get a DICE or similar interface to the ipod and forget the CD's all together. Mine doesn't have the harness, otherwise I would have done something awhile ago.

The Electro centerstand on the '05 is nice, but not a deal breaker. Many folks work the manual stand just fine. The geometry upgrades and brakes however are far more significant. On the downside, most have said the driver seats on the earlier models were more comfortable than the '05.
Good luck. You'll get plenty of good input here.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks gentlemen. Great answers to my questions. All 3 bikes have great things going for them but that e/m centerstand is so gee whiz! Good to know that it's not a deal breaker though. The PO did leave the harness in the right side case so it looks like the options are there.

Thanks again for the input.
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:22 pm

I have a 2002 LT that has 42k miles on it and I love it. I've never had a problem getting it up on the center stand either. I will usually put it on the center stand as I have a mosquito fogger when I fire it up if I leave it on the side stand.
post #6 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:15 am

I am new to a 2001 LT and had concerns about the centerstand, I have found that it is amazingly esy to get the bike up on the centerstand. Much easier than my 530 pound Virago. I aslo happen to have my CD changer out of the bike and would be willing to part with it. If interested after you choose, send me an email.

2001 Pacific Blue K1200LT
1994 Yamaha Virago 750
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:31 am Thread Starter

Diolach, Seahorst more good information. I will order the money next week and then a few days before I receive the money. This waiting is KILLING me! I have visions of cruising down the road on one of these beauties. The only part of me I notice is that big " I can't believe it's mine" grin on my face. Like when I got my first John Deere tractor except faster, more comfortable and a whole lot less dusty!.
post #8 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:28 am

Funny, I know that same grin! Theonly problem is the weather has been so crappy that I haven't gotten out on it enough yet.

2001 Pacific Blue K1200LT
1994 Yamaha Virago 750
post #9 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:33 am Thread Starter

The weather here in the Northwest has been pretty crappy to with the exception of last weekend. I rode my Honda SilverWing(the old v-twin 500cc type) on a 250 mile ride on Sunday. It got up to 76 deg, not a cloud in the sky. Unbelievable weather for this time of year.
post #10 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:57 am

I have a 02 and have had no problems. If you have to have the 6 disc CD player PM me and I will give you deal on my that I took out. Like the i-pod much better and the extra room in the case.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #11 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:29 am

Looks like there are plenty of 6 CD changers out there - I also have one I removed after I verified it was working, so if there are others looking for one PM me.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #12 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Vrod, is that your Mooney in your avatar?
post #13 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:35 am

Red face Re: Question on LT audio system

Add another available CD changer to the pile. I've got one that I'd like to part with too.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #14 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:46 am

I have one I would part with too. I bought the Dice unit and use my Ipod. Only trouble is sometimes I have to unplug it all and let it reset itself.
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:53 am Thread Starter

When you adapt an iPOD to work on the L T. do the volume control systems built into the bike still work? The changer cable is still in the bike as one forum member mentioned is important.
post #16 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Vrod, is that your Mooney in your avatar?
Yes it is. I own it with two other partners.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #17 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Go with the 05. The cd changer is easily replaced on ebay for around $100, and more importantly, the throttle cables are better, and the suspension on the 05 is better.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY 99, but an 05 has many upgrades. It is all personal choice, but don't let a simple thing like a cd changer sway you away from possibly a great bike........

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Go with the 05. Not cause of the centerstand - its the whole package. Plus they're a bit lower and easier to control at slower speeds, and more horsepower.

Forget the 2001 - tons of FD failures.
post #19 of 20 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Is this the 4% final drive failure I've been reading about? It appears from what I'm reading that BMW's fix was a design change around a bearing. If one has the problem I'm assming that BMW would no longer have any interest in making the repair under a recall etc so what would the cost (for the repair. I'm handy enough with a wrench, what about parts. Also, would the repair include the design changes?

Thanks for all this priceless info.
post #20 of 20 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Get the '05...I just replaced my CD changer with a NEO IPOD interface, you can control it from the cluster and you even get the song/album information on your readout...With no adverse effect on your other audio systems. If you want help or ideas installing a NEO (if you go that route) give me a yell, I can walk you through it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in