BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

air compressor mounting options

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  hallzee 
#1 ·
Just purchased a Thomas 215 air compressor and was wondering where I could mount this thing on the LT. Your input would be greatly appreciated in this matter. Hope this is the right area for this post! :confused:

#2 ·
An interesting idea. I use a $10 Campbell Hausfield that I carry in my top box and plug it in to a powerlet outlet with an adapter. It takes up no more space than a book. I've used it for years with no problem. It can be replaced at Wal-mart for next to nothing when it breaks.

Otherwise, from the size it appears to be, I would recommend the area under the top box that becomes vacant when you perform a canisterectomy.

Good Luck.

#4 ·
Hi guys

Forgive my complete ignorance here, but what do you plan to use a compressor for? Is this an air compressor for tyre inflation, or are you going to make one of those vehicles that jumps about when you play it rap music? :rotf: Would love to see that! </stupid question>

Nick

#5 ·
Tires...... I keep one in my tool bag ,in one of the side pockets. I thought once about mounting it permanently where the canister used to be located, but tend to move the tool bag from vehicle to bike on occasion. Hate to be without it when needed.

#6 · (Edited)
Try the Miscellaneous Accessories section of the Hall of Wisdom. Lot's of folks been there and done that. Unfortunately a lot of the links do not seem to be working. I mounted my Thomas 215 and switch to the frame under the drivers seat along with the coiled hose.

#7 ·
jwd98056 said:
Try the Miscellaneous Accessories section of the Hall of Wisdom. Lot's of folks been there and done that. Unfortunately a lot of the links do not seem to be working. I mounted my Thomas 215 and switch to the frame under the drivers seat along with the coiled hose.
Jim, what did you use for fittings on the compressor? I see a used one on Ebay, that is just the compressor and motor (no fittings, hose, etc.). Are they "standard" compressor fittings?

#8 · (Edited)
When I bought mine on eBay it already had one of those quick connect style fittings that you just push the plastic tubing into. I just had to adapt the other end of the plastic tubing to the fitting on the 15' long 1/8" ID coiled air hose.

The fitting looked like the one in the second attached picture though this is actually from Averill Townsend's post way back when. He actually removed that fitting and put a totally different type of hose (see third picture) to route the air from the charcoal canister area up to the area under the driver's seat. My pump was already in the driver seat area so I didn't need to do that.

The first picture is my installation. The compressor is attached to the frame with several heavy duty zip ties. I have a inflation hose with a gauge in my tool kit that attaches to the coiled hose.

Yes I believe it is a standard NPT fitting but I am not sure of the size.

Attachments

#9 ·
I was the first one to use a 215 on an LT, and posted pictures at the time. I am not at home now, so cannot re-post them.

I mounted mine under the top frame member on the left side, over the shock. I used heavy duty zip ties and a piece of stiff foam to position it. The motor was pulled up under the serial number plate. The compressor head came out behind the battery, and I used a 3/16" Coilhose which stuffed nicely behind the battery.

The other common place is where the charcoal cannister is, under the topcase. Of course that requires removing the cannister.

#10 ·
I did mine using an old unit I had sitting around ($15 yrs ago) & mounted where the Canister was..removed during my winter bike servicing etc. The picture shows where I mounted, I made a cover for the gear/piston & cable tied using the canister mount.

Attachments

#11 ·
jwd98056 said:
When I bought mine on eBay it already had one of those quick connect style fittings that you just push the plastic tubing into. I just had to adapt the other end of the plastic tubing to the fitting on the 15' long 1/8" ID coiled air hose.

The fitting looked like the one in the second attached picture though this is actually from Averill Townsend's post way back when. He actually removed that fitting and put a totally different type of hose (see third picture) to route the air from the charcoal canister area up to the area under the driver's seat. My pump was already in the driver seat area so I didn't need to do that.

The first picture is my installation. The compressor is attached to the frame with several heavy duty zip ties. I have a inflation hose with a gauge in my tool kit that attaches to the coiled hose.

Yes I believe it is a standard NPT fitting but I am not sure of the size.
Thanks! Great pix. My cannister has been out for some time, so I have been itching to put on under the top case.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Thanks all, for the input! I guess I need to proform a cannisterectomy this weekend! The next question is..............we the heck is a cannisterectomy and why can this be done?
I already have the hose and air chuck, along with compressor. Also, are any of you installing a seperate in-line fuse for this?

Thanks again, Jeff

#15 ·
Bumpa2 said:
Thanks all, for the input! I guess I need to proform a cannisterectomy this weekend! The next question is..............we the heck is a cannisterectomy and why can this be done?
I already have the hose and air chuck, along with compressor. Also, are any of you installing a seperate in-line fuse for this?

Thanks again, Jeff
The Cannisterectomy reduces the problems associated with overfilling the gas tank (bike stops running; huge vacuum in gas tank that could casuse it to collapse) and having the charcoal cannister become clogged.

LT Canisterectomy Directions, (from cfell):

1. Pull the top case (trunk) and the panel underneath it.
2. Disconnect the hose coming from the gas tank to the canister (facing front, coming from the tank down the right side of the bike to the right side of the canister). Route this hose to vent in an open space low on the bike.
3. Remove the hose from the canister to the intake (facing front, going from the left side of the canister down to the intake). Take a threaded machine screw and insert it into the end of the hose. You can add a hose clamp for extra assurance, but a large enough screw won’t come out.
4. Cut and remove the strap holding the canister in place.
5. Pull canister out with the remaining intake hose routed to the rear of the bike still attached. You may have to remove the rear mud flap to unhook it from its routing clips.
6. Reinstall rear panel and top case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.