Replacing the steering damper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Replacing the steering damper

I have a steering damper I want to install, but before I tear into it, I want to tap the collective wisdom here. In the service manual, it indicates with a "caution" that threadlocker is used on the steering damper bolts. The assembly instructions indicate that they are using Locktite 243 (or "blue" locktite) - which in the past I have had no problems breaking without using heat in most circumstances.

Have you heated the joints before removing them or can I just break the bond with the wrench?

The instructions say to remove the front wheel, but it looks like it might be possible to replace the damper without removing the front wheel. Yes or no?

Anything else I need to be concerned about? it appears to be adjustable, but there is no information I can find on how to adjust it - or is this one of those install-and-leave-it-alone items?

Thanks all.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 8:54 am

Re: Replacing the steering damper

I have a replacement on my workbench for the last 2 years - am dreading to attack it after lousy experience doing the same on my K1200RS.

Yes, you need to take off the front wheel to reach the bolt under the fork bridge. Wheel is no biggie, is it?

Here is the real problem: the Torx bolt that holds the front of the damper will twist in its rubber seat as you apply pressure. Stripping it is almost guaranteed - happened to me.

To get it right, you need to assure a clean bolt head and a good Torx driver. Also, a method to keep the damper straight to prevent the tool from loosing its spot.

Food for thought.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #3 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 12:02 pm

I hve done that job couple of times. As said earlier, you have to take front wheel off. And for that you have to take brake calibers off.

Then easiest way is to take fork bridge with steering damper off.
Put steering damper into work bench and loose screw by torx tool. Not big issue. No heating is needed.

If you try to loosen it in bike, most likely you will just damage torx screw.

Attention!
If you try to heat screw you will damage those rubber parts in both sides of fork bridge.

Regards
Leiboshi

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

thanks everyone. No taking the wheel off is certainly no biggie - just trying to avoid doing things I don't have to do. Good advice on the heat though - thank you. I will tear into it this weekend. Sounds like removing the bridge is the way to go.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #5 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiboshi
...Put steering damper into work bench and loose screw by torx tool. Not big issue. No heating is needed...
Agreed. After I stripped the bolt, I knew I should have had removed the bridge - have been too lazy.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #6 of 6 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Perhaps I was lucky. I took it slow and easy, everything went fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in