It Was a Great Xmas Present - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 1:40 am Thread Starter

It Was a Great Xmas Present

Due to extreme home renovations I haven't had the time to update my previous post entitled Trying Hard to Buy a K1200LT.
The new bike (2005 Dark Graphite Metallic) was ready earlier (Dec 24) than what the dealer had originally promised (early January) just in time for Christmas. I drove my truck and horse trailer to pick it up at the dealer 300km North of here. Spent the next few days at my parents home with my family and got back home around noon on Boxing Day. It was a beautiful day so I took it out for a great 80 km trip. WOW, that sums it up. At the very first light I stopped at, the guy driving the car next to me asks "Is that a brand new bike?" Yes, I replied, a Christmas present from myself, "Wow, well at least someone loves you" he laughs and yells "Nice bike" as the light turns green. Great first impression.

Unfortunately a couple days later while admiring it in the garage and giving it a close up inspection I noticed oil had dripped off the rear brake housing down onto the rim and tire. I checked to make sure the pads were not contaminated and drove it to the dealership. Got it back the next day. Turns out to have been an improperly installed final drive oil seal (from the factory), they replaced a ball bearing and a shaft seal, cleaned up the rim and tire and gave the bike a washing ... simple enough, a bit of a disappointment but nothing serious. Have managed to get a little over 200 kms on it now but the roads are now a little icy so will just have to wait.

The dealer gave me (like I didn't already pay for it) the bottom part of the shipping crate for hauling the bike home, anyone who has bought a new bike recently should get back to the dealer and demand this part of the crate to take home. They resell them to people for shipping their bikes when they move. I did not ask what they charge, but it is an excellent made steel frame and I would imagine that they ask at least $500 for it. I strapped it to my current tie downs for my VTX1800C and the LT ties down to the frame. I will edit the post to include a picture as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC264275.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	1602   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC274295.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	1603  

Last edited by zipper; Jan 20th, 2006 at 1:49 am. Reason: Attached Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 7:02 am

Hi Gary,

congratulations for a nice X-mas present! You must have been a good boy since Santa remembered you with such nice toy. "The only difference between men and little boys is the price of their toys."
Have you already figured out a farkle list?

I also like the color of your bike...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Great looking bike (perfect color!)! Great idea for hauling, too.

Hope to get up your way summer 06 or 07. Were thru there in 04 and promised each other to get back. Calgary is rather amazing when socked in in smoke (complete with falling embers).

Happy riding!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in