Maybe a new LT owner - but with questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Maybe a new LT owner - but with questions

Hello out there. I am seriously considering a new 09 LT. I have ridden harleys, hondas, and suzukis for years but the BMW has always intriqued me. I do have a few questions and I am hopeful that current K1200LT owners will help me out. First off, I keep reading about the rear drive failure. Has this issue been fixed with the new 09s? Somewhere I read about fuel injection also somewhat a problem. The bike really sounds great and I am excited but obviously, these are major concerns.
Thanks for the advise and help, and I hope to be back soon - with a new LT.

Twinfreeze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Re: Maybe a new LT owner - but with questions

Hello and welcome to the site!
Your best bet is to read the FAQ's and do some searches on topics that interest you....much has been said before.
The LT is a great machine even with a few "flaws". Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Garage

The LT is a great bike. People on this board LOVE to b*tch and moan about a variety of issues ranging from the final drive to a bad radio to a rock hard seat.

Bottom line- it's a great ride. If you ask X number of Harley or Honda or Suzuki owners, I'm sure you'll see the same number of complaints.

My two cents- the risk of a FD or other issue is outweighed by the thrill of cracking the throttle open and watching our Fat Lady dance.

Welcome!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

It is a machine so it can break. So can a $14,000 Kia or a $1,000,000 Lamborghini.
You will hear about problems with the LT because the ones that break cause people to talk (type) about it where as the ones that don't break get rode. I have a 2000 LT with 54,000 miles with NO problems. I do all my own work on it. I would not be worried to ride it anywhere.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Garage

í99 LT 145,000 miles, and loving it, itís my wifeís Winnebago. Original clutch, original tires, just kidding, replaced the rear drive bearing at 114,000, cheap maintenance for a great bike.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Has this issue been fixed with the new 09s?

No.

Most dealers will let you take one for a ride. The local dealer here insisted I take one out. In fact, they suggested I take a half day ride down to Tombstone (and back).

My wife and I had to decide between the GW and LT. I went with the LT cause my left foot roasted on the GW, plus my wife and I both liked being able to raise the windshield when we got on to faster roads.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfreeze
Hello out there. I am seriously considering a new 09 LT. I have ridden harleys, hondas, and suzukis for years but the BMW has always intriqued me. I do have a few questions and I am hopeful that current K1200LT owners will help me out. First off, I keep reading about the rear drive failure. Has this issue been fixed with the new 09s? Somewhere I read about fuel injection also somewhat a problem. The bike really sounds great and I am excited but obviously, these are major concerns.
Thanks for the advise and help, and I hope to be back soon - with a new LT.

Twinfreeze

I'll answer your fuel injection question. None. Absolutely flawless for the designed purpose of this machine.

I have 52k on my '04 final drive and no problems yet.

Have fun on your new beemer.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm

buy it... ride it... get x-tended warranty if you're going to keep it after warranteee.

I love the LT... came from a lifetime of HD's... They kinda had quirks...
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Best advice I got before I got mine.....Drive it like you stole it! Have fun.

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Welcome to this site!

I have 68k on my '05 LT. The final drive failed at 1200 miles, but it was totally self-induced (human error caused it). At the initial service, the tech left the final drive fill plug off. By the time I got 3 hours away all the gear oil was gone. Dealer replaced it at no cost to me, under warranty, of course.

Every machine can have its design flaws, but this one seems to have been improved on over the years, although it still happens in some very small percentage of BMWs with shaft drive. Take a look at any other bike enthusiast site and you will quickly learn that Brand X has a problem with <fill in the blank>.

The LT is a fabulous touring platform. Take one for an extended test ride with a passenger. Go ahead. I dare you. But be sure to bring your check book or major credit card.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I am not sure that you are any closer to your answer than when you started, but I will try in a non-technical sort of way. If you stick with the idea of a new LT, then you should definitely look at an extended warranty for the bike. The factory warranty is good, and you will ultimately want to hold on to the bike longer than the factory warranty will stay in place. The final drive is a crap shoot as to whether it will fail or not. Same for the radio, from what I have heard. You will pay a fair piece for tires. And you will most likely pay a grand or two for the few accessories it needs (auxiliary lighting, extra foot placement, etc). You will do the same with any other brand. Really, the only competition for the LT is the Goldwing, and it is a close call, but ultimately the quality shines through, the unique styling and smooth power makes you smile as you go down the road, and the stability at speed is truly impressive.

I bought a 2002 for a great price with relatively (13K) low miles, and it seems that the 1999-2002 units have few drive failures, the 2003-2007 much more, and few for the 2008 and 2009 models, but this is an observation based on looking at postings, not actual study of the subject or number crunching. Talk at length about both new and old bikes to your dealer, including a conversation with the service manager if the contact you have doesn't know.

I will leave you with a comment a key bmw salesperson about the whole final drive and leaking gaskets issue:
"Out of all the bikes we sell, that bike (the LT) is the one I would own while under warranty, and then sell as the warranty expires."

Buy the LT, buy consider a certified used bike with the extended warranty. You'll get a great bike fo a substantial discount!

Ben Cohen
VA Tags BMW LT
2002 K1200LT in black and Chrome
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
í99 LT 145,000 miles, and loving it, itís my wifeís Winnebago. ...
+1. Have fun!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in