LT not running well after 24k service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Unhappy LT not running well after 24k service

I have spent the better part of the past 2 days doing the 24k mile service on my 2000 LT. I put on new throttle cables. (They are freaking awesome! If you still have the old style cables you owe it to your self to upgrade to the newer cables.) I bled the brakes and clutch. Changed out the coolant. Installed a new fuel filter. Installed a new K&N air filter. Changed the motor oil, final drive and trans oil. All of that was pretty easy (just time consuming).

Then I decided to tackle a valve check. I used the instructions posted here: http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...ves/index.html

I did leave the spark plugs installed per the manual.

I told myself that I was just going to check the valves. If there were any that needed adjusted I WAS going to take it to the dealer. Well, I found 2 intake valves that were just a hair tight. I figured that everything else had gone so well I could tackle pulling the intake cam and doing the job myself. So, I followed the instructions as described. I used a #30 drill bit to use as my cam tensioner tool. I got that in ok. Then I stopped cylinder #1 90deg from TDC. I put a couple zip ties on the intake sproket and another zip tie on the exhaust sproket for good measure. I pulled the intake cam with no problems.

I think I got the everything put back together correctly too. I put the intake cam back in place. I put the thrust bearing caps in exactly the same place they came from. I tightened the 4 caps from the inside out and then torqued them to spec. I left the cam bearing cap finger tight. I turned the cam with a 19mm wrench until the slot in the cam lined up with the pin on the sprocket and it just slid into place. I tightened the bolt that holds the sprocket to the cam and the bearing cap.

I rechecked all the clearances and buttoned it up. I also put in new plugs after I finished. So, I get the bike put back together and start it up. It was running like crap and making a lot of "scary" noises that I wasn't too crazy about. I thought it might be a little starved for fuel because of the new fuel filter, but after running for about 5 minutes it hasn't really improved. Anybody have any ideas? I was wondering if I may have missed plugging in a sensor somewhere alone the way with all the reassembly that I had to do. Just don't tell me I botched the valve job. I don't think my wallet can handle that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 3:58 am

Re: LT not running well after 24k service

Try turning on your ignition, fully twist the throttle 2 times slowly, turn off the ignition then turn on & start the bike, this has happened to me before & this remedied it.
When you disconnect the battery you need to reset things, twisting the throttle basicallly does this, although i dont recall the horrible noises, just a bit of rough running & a fast idle till the brain took on the new settings.
Regards
Stevie
PS, sure someone will chip in with the correct technical terms & details!.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:24 am

SpudRider...

Don't panic yet...

Give us more details...

Bike year

How far did you take it down? Replace fuel filter, etc?

It could be something simple like plug not fully seated.... or carbon popped loose onto a plug, etc...

Are noises chain related?

Maybe someone in your area with experience could pop in to have a look/listen?

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:22 am

Yep, I like Stevie's recommendation. When you're thru with the TPS (throttle position sensor) dance, take the scoot around the block a coupla times while the Motronic settles in on re-establishing the parameters. Then, you should be good to go wherever you wanna. Good luck.

If thangs don't quiet down, then Chann's suggestions merit a look. And hopefully, the fix will be easy.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:38 am Thread Starter

The Basics:
2000 K1200LTC
23k miles (I know. I got it last year with 14k on the clock. It's not my fault.)
New fuel filter
New plugs
I live in Boise, ID

OK. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a minute, and then I tried to reset the TPS per the comments above. On the bright side most of the "scary" noises are gone. After reading a little more last night I hope the noises were just the cam chain tensioner doing its thing. I ran it around for about 5 miles, but this hasn't solved the issue.

It surges when riding, and there seems to be 25% of the power I'm used to. It does seems to be fairly vibration free. Also, I'm smelling gasoline. I don't think that I'm banging away on all cylinders...

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Is the charcoal canister still installed.................?.........And if you crack the gas cap, is there a little vacuum...............?.......
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Yup.. and are you sure you hooked up the vent lines correctly? If you swap them it can run awful.

Can the cannister.
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

OK. I just thought that I'd check the spark plugs. I pulled them all and it looks like cylinder 2 and 3 aren't working.the plugs look brand new. I put old plugs in 2 & 3 and it still runs like crap. The gas tank doesn't seem to have any vacuum. The charcoal canister is still installed, and I'm pretty sure that I hooked up the gas tank vents properly.

Thanks for the help.

I'm headed back to the garage...
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Yup.. and are you sure you hooked up the vent lines correctly? If you swap them it can run awful.

Can the cannister.

There are only vents on the tank, right? There is a vent line and another line on the "rubber thing" by the filler, right? I didn't unhook the line on the rubber thing, so I'm pretty sure they are right.

When I replaced the throttle cables I didn't remove the fuel rail or the throttle bodies. I was able to get the job done with some looong forceps and a little patience. I did have to unhook a couple, what I thought were vacuum lines. I think I got everything hooked up correctly, but could this be my problem?
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK I gotta ask... Did you pull the pin from cam chain tensioner?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:33 pm

it is possible you are not getting spark at the failing cylinders... the wire could be bad... the coil wire to plug or one of the control wires going to the coil...

Time for a patient, careful look at what you did..

One thing you can do is spray wd40 around the vent / hose lines by the motor.. if engine speed changes, you have a leak.
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Fixed it!!!

I manged to move the injector rail when I put the new throttle cables in. 2 injectors came out of their holes. Pulled everything off and got it fixed. I just finished buttoning it up. Runs like a champ. I'll enjoy my ride to work in the morning!!

Thanks everyone that took time to help me out.

Lesson learned. Make sure that everything works perfectly before you put the tuperware back on.
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:35 am

I love a good success story! And that you jumped in and did it! Kudos, good stuff right there!...
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:35 pm

I just got mine back and its a world of difference.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in