Second Final Drive Failure in 7000 miles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Second Final Drive Failure in 7000 miles

I had my final drive fail last August, at 58000 miles +/-, in my 2001 BMW K1200LT. First failure as far as I know (bought the bike with 42K on it so dont know really if it was rebuilt before then). Had it rebuilt by a local BMW dealer/mechanic - new final bearing and seal. I contacted BMW North America who would not cover the cost of the repair (I was not original owner, high mileage on the bike, etc).

Well it turns out that the final drive failed AGAIN last week, at 65000 miles +/-. Took it back to the same BMW dealer/mechanic, who I talked to today. He verified that THE REPLACED FINAL BEARING FAILED. He said they just sometimes do! He did re shim the installation when he did the rebuild 8 months ago, so I believe the preload was appropriate (as so critical noted by experts on this website).

This time, BMW will cover the repair, parts and labor.

I am a "normal" rider, maybe a little high in annual mileage (about 20K per year) but not a speedster or hard driver. Any thoughts on why the final bearing would have failed within 7000 miles of a rebuild?

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Re: Second Final Drive Failure in 7000 miles

It most likely wasn't rebuilt correctly. Many dealers are not set up to properly adjust the preload on the bearings.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:05 pm

The fact they are willing to repair their mistake from a job done shuch a short time ago indicates where the fault lies. What is puzzling is that the dealerships cannot even get it right. The good news is that, should it repeat and fail again soon, you will always have a new FD.

Good luck with this one.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
It most likely wasn't rebuilt correctly. Many dealers are not set up to properly adjust the preload on the bearings.

Good Luck,
Kevin
+1 on that. Don't be surprised if it fails again with another rebuild. You should press them for a replacement.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Angry Re: Second Final Drive Failure in 7000 miles

Most dealers are sadly un-able to do this repair correctly. Slapping in a new bearing is NOT correct. You could send it to Tom Cutter at rubberchickenracinggarage.com Then you will know it was done right. Usual disclaimers, etc.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 1:26 pm

My guess is that there are probably not more than a half dozen, if that many BMW dealer shops that can actually do it correctly. Then, how do you find one of those? If you do, is their ONE mechanic that could be trusted to do it working that day? Having a dealer rebuild a final drive is a crap shoot, far worse odds of success than buying a new one, which due to BMW's record is still somewhat of a chance.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 7:27 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I would be surprised if most dealers could properly clean it for assembly let alone rebuild it to factory specification. I don't want to take anything away from good mechanics.

To rebuild something like a final drive, transmission or engine takes training that most mechanics do not have. There is a difference between repair & rebuild. For the most part mechanics repair the bike. There are mechanics that can do both but it is rare.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 8 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Yours went further than mine did. First rebuild at 143000, second rebuild at 145900.
Defective bearing was the stated cause of second failure. Dealer paid in full second time. Just a pain having the bike down twice in two months. Hopefully this year will be better than last.

Gene VanEssendelft
01 1200 Lt Blue Knight
98 1200 Rc Ivory **SOLD**
00 1150 GS Silver
CMA,
, AMA,MOA,RA,BK,ADV,IBMR
START AT THE BEGINNING - WHEN YOU GET TO THE END STOP!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in