need help installing nav III to k1200lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

need help installing nav III to k1200lt

Has anyone done this? I have it the unit installed but cant find the factory wires to tie into. My dealer looked up my bike and told me I needed the main factory cable for which the the Nav cable could tie into, and I purchased it. But what i can't find is where does this wire go to, does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Re: need help installing nav III to k1200lt

If your bike is a post 2005 model, the power connector for the navigator is hidden behind the three radio stingray connectors (on the left side on top of the gas tank). This extra connector has a also cap on it.

In the worst case removing the radio stingray is not enough as the connector is tied quite far behind the other ones and you might need to remove also the tupperware around your instrument cluster (the one with the speaker grilles).
And this requires the removal of the windshield and the panel right under it...

Good luck with the connector hunt...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks my bike is a 05,I did see the three connectors, but no additional plugs. So now I guess its time to remove the tupperware on the instrument cluster.
Thanks again

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:49 pm

I purchased an 05 and wanted to use the Nav III I use on my 08 GSA, a buddy sold me his extra cradle and I bought the power/com harness from the dealer, took it all apart and no plugs, I do not have the BMW comm system and apparently on bikes without that harness you do not get the plugs (I had my bike completely apart except for the speaker grill tupperware so it could be possibly buried up there). Same friend had a spare adaptor power cable so I just went back to the Centec unit I installed.

If you have any other questions just PM me, I may be able to help, this site does not have much traffic so many questions go unanswered, I have had to dig in and investigate questions I have had myself.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 4:07 am

This existence of the GPS power plug has nothing to do with BMW communication system. As far as I have understood the plug is standard in all facelifted LT:s. For some reason factory has hidden the plug in a hard to reach place. To this connector there are four wires. Ground, switched +12 V, another +12V through the ignition key "radio on" -position and one more wire with a mystery 10,5 volts which I don't know about.

Many have simply cut off the factory connector as it is sometimes hard to find a counterpiece for it and used a simple two pole connector using only the ground and the "radio on" + 12V. This way you can hook up your nav in such way that you can fiddle with the navigator without having the ignition full on (or bike running) and still be sure that the unit goes off when you remove the key from the ignition lock.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in