Just Venting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Just Venting

So I went to the local BMW dealer to get an idea of what they were going to charge me for a 12K service & rear tire on my 2005 LT.

Here is their breakdown:
Standard Service – 995.00
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00

I have been in the auto business all my life. One of the stores I work for is a Lexus dealer. Their most expensive service is the 60K and includes everything above (except the tire) with the addition of a timing belt, spark plugs, balance and rotate tires, air and fuel filters and a free car wash. That service for a $90,000.00 Lexus LS430 is $1200.00. If this same service were done at a BMW motorcycle shop it would be about $4000.00.

Am I crazy or is this just flat out gouging? I have decided to do these things myself even if it takes me a week. I don’t mind paying for good service by knowledgeable techs, but this borders on outrageous. I thought my Harley service was expensive but this is ridiculous.

As a side note the service manager called me and asked why I didn’t keep my appointment. I basically outlined my concerns above and gave him the opportunity to still get my business if the pricing was different. He wasn’t very sympathetic and didn’t seem to mind me canceling based on the price issue.

I miss my Hondas and Suzukis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Re: Just Venting

maybe it's the cost of doing business in that area but I have never had to pay more than 1 grand for any check including tires. Since I don't work on my bike I've always gone to dealers. Roman Cycle outside of Youngstown, Ohio and BMW of Pittsburgh, Pa. were the 2 I used before I moved to La. and since then I've been to Gulf Coast in Houston, Tx and Hebert Cycle in Baton Rouge, La. I will admit that I usually do the tires on there own as its easy to remove a wheel and cheaper to get them online but I did have to have a rear tire with one of my 12k checks and I think the bill was around $900 at BMW of Pittsburgh.
post #3 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
So I went to the local BMW dealer to get an idea of what they were going to charge me for a 12K service & rear tire on my 2005 LT.

Here is their breakdown:
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00

I have been in the auto business all my life. One of the stores I work for is a Lexus dealer. Their most expensive service is the 60K and includes everything above (except the tire) with the addition of a timing belt, spark plugs, balance and rotate tires, air and fuel filters and a free car wash. That service for a $90,000.00 Lexus LS430 is $1200.00. If this same service were done at a BMW motorcycle shop it would be about $4000.00.

Am I crazy or is this just flat out gouging? I have decided to do these things myself even if it takes me a week. I don’t mind paying for good service by knowledgeable techs, but this borders on outrageous. I thought my Harley service was expensive but this is ridiculous.

As a side note the service manager called me and asked why I didn’t keep my appointment. I basically outlined my concerns above and gave him the opportunity to still get my business if the pricing was different. He wasn’t very sympathetic and didn’t seem to mind me canceling based on the price issue.

I got all of the above from my dealer for $1,100.00. Would have been less without the tire.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 2:22 pm

That is why many of us learn to do at least some of our own maintenance.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 2:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Here is their breakdown:
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00

That seems high, but I'm not yet had my 12K done (coming up soon though), so I can't offer a head-to-head comparison with my local dealer. Having stripped down the LT once now to about the point required for the 12K, I can see where some of the cost comes in. I probably spent 3-4 hours just on the tupperware (but this was my first time). I stripped it down so I could install a Fuzeblock and PIAA lights and a tailBlazer for my luggage rack LEDs. I probably spent 10 hours total on this work, but much of that was finding the right wires and then tapping into them and doing a proper solder wire attachment and multiple coats of liquid tape to keep moisture at bay.

As for the Lexus comparison, if you had to remove all of the bodywork on the Lexus to do the maintenance, I'll bet you that would get pretty pricey also!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 3:32 pm
Super Moderator

WOW $$$ - like many others I have reverted to this group for inspiration, guidance, advice, counsel, along with publications, videos and more. Besides the fact that the dealership left town going on three years now.

The only time my dealer saw the bike was at the 600 mile marker - all other service and the addition of farkles has been completed by myself - going on 50,000 miles. Made a few mistakes, learned a lot and am very confident the work was done in a complete and professional manner.

I remember when I picked up the bike for the first time I spotted loose fasteners and wiring not terminated properly - just from a visual inspection - dealer had little to no reaction. So I am not all that convinced that the pressure to make money, the pressure on the mechanics to turn around the bike in minimal time, the systems and people they operate under yield the best cost versus service benefits.

I also understand some people buy the bike with absolutely no intention to be the mechanic or those that have discretionary funds and have no issue with this cost of service - that's just not me!!

Good luck in the future and keep a log on your activities and how much you save - helps justify farkles!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Those prices sound about right for the Daytona/Orlando, FL dealers. Even a tad low (the labor hours are probably different).

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!

Last edited by browad; Apr 4th, 2009 at 4:13 pm.
post #8 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
As for the Lexus comparison, if you had to remove all of the bodywork on the Lexus to do the maintenance, I'll bet you that would get pretty pricey also!
Good point. But the engine compartment on this car is not easy to get around, especially when removing the valve covers. And all the extra parts that are used on the Lexus service count for something in the pricing.

I appreciate all the input!
post #9 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 4:21 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

You got it right for sure!

Now start using the search function and reading, and using your printer when you need to, and have at it yourself.

I even got pissed at tire gouging and my Dealer will not install a tire they did not sell you!

I do them myself also. Breaking the bead is the hard part, after that, spoons work just fine.

Just learned how to check valves and think I can do it again.

I tried to support my dealer, but I can not afford him for the amount of maintenance these bikes require.

I want to keep this bike for the long haul and I trust myself a lot more then someone I don't know or see very often. I will turn the wrenches, and go the extra mile to do the right thing whereas he may not.

Plus it gives you confidence in what you ride.

You will be fine and enjoy your bike a bunch more after bonding on maintenance tasks.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 7:40 pm

The only time a dealer has ever seen a vehicle of mine was when it was under warranty.

BMW dealers use BMW parts, have established labour rates, and charge flat rate.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Folks.....I had nothing but the deepest respect for my dealer when I owned a 2003 and 2005LT. I valued them as people and professionals...but the cost of maintaining the bike was absolutely rediculous..I tried to use them when possible because I wanted them there if I needed them....It really boils down to black mail.

The motor is just not that techincal. I finally purchased a 2008 Wing and have spent exactly "0"....ZERO in 24,000 miles. The bike runs better, faster, smoother and cheaper. It handles better than the LT and has no top heavy problems. I have a 6 year complete...no mileage limit warranty and all the oil changes and tune ups I want for 6 years for a one time fee of $1,200.00

You can make all the excuses you want for being able to do the work yourself. The motor should not and does not need that type of attention... other than oil changes. Most of you that checked your buckets found them within tolerances. If it did...it would not be that reliable. I put over 70,000 miles on my LT's and only had one problem....a rear seal leak.

The cost of maint...is uncalled for and the need to mess with the motor should not be that great. The dealers are heading for the same end as the American car folks if they are not careful.

I do think that BMW folks are much more technocrats and I do enjoy their company. But I will never get stuck with a product like the LT again.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #12 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Quote:

Here is their breakdown:
Brake Flush – 250.00
Coolant Change – 120.00
Rear Tire – 300.00

Total $1670.00
Sorry to hear about the gouging!
Let's get together for a tech session next time you have a major service to perform.
So... who was that dealer? Ventura?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 11:44 pm

I am coming up on my 36k service and after call the price hit above 1,000.000USD's i stopped listening. I decided to give it a go. have maintenance manual, I guess read twice and cut once!
Most of the cost is tech time, thats alot of beers & pizza I can have my own tech time with other beemer riders..
post #14 of 59 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Texas weather is almost always conducive to tech sessions.
post #15 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 4:08 am

"But I will never get stuck with a product like the LT again"

Your X LT only has nice things to say about you.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 8:08 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Can't do much about the tire but no need to take it to the dealer (and in the process, give it to yourself financially) for the simple maintenance stuff.
Here's a kit with EVERYTHING you'll need (except the oils) for $89.00
These guys are great .... recommended.
Keir

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k12ltrsmaintkit.html
post #17 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:56 am

I don't like the pricing either and as a result I do most of my own work. However, as a business owner I am somewhat sympathetic to the shops position. My business involves theatrical lighting systems. It is not a large market even in Los Angeles and the companies I represent are the BMW's of our industry, the stuff just doesn't breakdown that often. Also, do to the low volume of sales worldwide the manufacturers do not get the price discounts enjoyed by the Sonys and Panasonics of the world. As a result, the equipment is expensive for what it is. That leaves very little room for the manufacturers to give shops like mine a decent discount. We typically get somewhere between 15 and 40% off retail list. Competitive pressure limits markups to 10 to 15%. Combine low sales, high dealer costs, and reliable equipment and our only choice is to charge embarrassingly high labor rates just to keep our doors open. Sound familiar?
post #18 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 11:19 am

As mentioned in earlier posts in theis thread - doing the work yourself will save you BIG time. I just did this yesterday (36 K):

* Oil & Filter (synthetic)
* Transmission (synthetic)
* Final Drive (synthetic)
* Brake Fluid/Clutch Fluid flush
* Air & Fuel Filters
* Coolant

All of the above for about $210.00 (vs. over $900.00 at dealer). When you do it yourself, you know it's done right. Last time the dealer worked on it, my farkle wiring wasn't as "neatley repacked" as I like. Plus, just getting to the tranny oil drain plug will "inspire" you to write some songs about "German Engineering"!

Took me about 5 hours (I am slow). First time (at 24K) took me about 8, so I am getting faster - but I was also detailing every square inch (I mean, centimeter) as I was re-assembling!

So - saved $700.00... Divided by 5 hours = Paid myself $140.00 an hour. Does that mean the recession is over??

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #19 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 12:26 pm

When I had to have the 20,000 kilometer (12K Miles) inspection I printed a copy of the inspection of the internet, and had a meeting with the service manager. We went through each one, and got it down to less than $300.00, no tires were needed. A lot of the fluid changes at this level are not required for warranty protection he said just recommended. I had rear drive done. At the 40,000 Kilometer I had the full monte done and in Canada that was about $1,400.00. Left Toronto for St. Louis and had a serious gas leak on a Sat. requiring a meconic to stay till 8 PM to get it right, the fuel filter replacement was not closed correctly, and the clutch was gone on my return. They didn't catch that during the inspection, but the rod was bend and the plate was almost none existent. Warranty covered that. The bike finished the road trip on a truck, back to the dealer that did the inspection.
I am trying to learn to do as much as I can myself, and never take the bike to the dealer with out a set down and sign off on wha is going to be done, and why. They hate to see me coming.

It is a 2005LT and has 57,000 kilometers so before this summer is over I will be looking at fluid changes. This year I will do myself.

Cliff
post #20 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Yeah, the dealers are creating a market for good independent shops and internet OEM/LKQ parts suppliers. Actually, the dealers sold the HF motorcycle lift in my garage for HF.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #21 of 59 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
"But I will never get stuck with a product like the LT again"

Your ex LT only has nice things to say about you.

Bob

That's NOT what I heard...it told me "He Sucked" as a owner!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #22 of 59 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 6:22 am

I got tired of paying them to screw up my bike. So I do my own maintenance including valves, ABS flush and tires. Thanks to the great people on this site and their help and support.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #23 of 59 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 7:42 am

Standard 12k service without the brake flush for $995 sounds really high. I got my 24k done last summer for $600 at the local BMW dealer here in Raleigh.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #24 of 59 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 7:57 am

I've had about $3,000 worth of mechanical breakdowns. I did the repairs myself for around $600. If you can't work on the bike, then you will need $$$$$ to keep it on the road. Some are lucky and it doesn't eat their wallet. Some have a BIG wallet and don't notice the bite. It takes labor or money to keep this bike on the road. If it wasn't so much fun to ride, it wouldn't be worth it.......................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #25 of 59 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:51 am

Just for fun I did the unthinkable. I added up all the maintenence and repair tickets for my 2000 LT.

I bought the bike with 22,300 miles in 2004 and now have 87,000 miles on it.

I have had the dealer perform all maintenance.

Total: $17,000+ and counting. Not too shabby for 55,000 miles. (I paid $9,000 for the bike.)

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #26 of 59 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Talking Re: Just Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Those prices sound about right for the Daytona/Orlando, FL dealers. Even a tad low (the labor hours are probably different).
Don't get me started on Orlando BMW. The 24K service was quoted at a little over 600.00
They also did (at my request Brake flush) the only additional service not included in the 24K service. no tires no valve adjustment. Total time spent working on bike I would estimate 6 hr. parts 240.00 posted service rate 78.00 total labor charge 1250.00. Something about what BMW allowed to be charged. I did complain and did finally get a 250.00 refund and an offer of a free oil change were I ever to be in the area again.

I will be doing more and more for myself

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #27 of 59 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Smile Re: Just Venting

When I first got my 2000 LT I took it to the dealer for service. I noticed both times they charged me 5 hours to remove the tupperware. At $70/hr (at the time, now about $90) that was $350 before they did any work. That's all it took to convince me to do all my own service. I just finished changing all fluids, brake pads and one brake line....cost about $150 (brake line was $80).

I keep threatening to sell the LT and get something else but then when I zip down the highway or hit some twisties I am convinced all over again that this is the absolute best bike for me. If I should get wild and sell it I will buy another one.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #28 of 59 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Mine was $833 but did not include the rear tire. Of course this is BF OH so the labor rates are much less.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #29 of 59 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Yeah I agree, the dealers are crooks. That's why I learned how to do it yourself. That's why we're on the forum - to learn and to teach others!
post #30 of 59 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 6:21 pm

My $.02,

I'm not hearing the other side of the equation. How booked up is your dealer?

I (like most of you) think my dealer has outrageous pricing, so I do most of my own service. But when I do call them, they are usually booked out a week, sometimes two, in advance. What would be their incentive to even consider lowering prices if this is the case? There are obviously enough folks who think what they offer is worth the money or they wouldn't be buying the service. In my area, I'm obviously not in the majority and as long as there are enough folks willing to fill the shop at the existing cost level, prices will remain.

If I were a dealer and was booked up 3-4 weeks, I would consider raising my prices to balance out my capacity and give better service to those willing to pay. Sort of basic economics really.

Of course I'm ignoring a bunch of factors, but its one thing to walk into an empty service bay and tell them they're charging to much, its quite another to be standing in line and complaining about the cost. I was curious - Which is it in your area?

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #31 of 59 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
As mentioned in earlier posts in theis thread - doing the work yourself will save you BIG time. I just did this yesterday (36 K):

* Oil & Filter (synthetic)
* Transmission (synthetic)
* Final Drive (synthetic)
* Brake Fluid/Clutch Fluid flush
* Air & Fuel Filters
* Coolant

All of the above for about $210.00 (vs. over $900.00 at dealer). When you do it yourself, you know it's done right. Last time the dealer worked on it, my farkle wiring wasn't as "neatley repacked" as I like. Plus, just getting to the tranny oil drain plug will "inspire" you to write some songs about "German Engineering"!

Took me about 5 hours (I am slow). First time (at 24K) took me about 8, so I am getting faster - but I was also detailing every square inch (I mean, centimeter) as I was re-assembling!

So - saved $700.00... Divided by 5 hours = Paid myself $140.00 an hour. Does that mean the recession is over??
You kill me, Admiral Hallzee! That settles it, I'm doing the next one in my garage with the boys! Plus, I know you'll work for burgers and brew!

Strictly from a business standpoint, the worst time you can buy a bike or get service done is in the spring. Prime time for all dealers! My local dealer has run specials in the middle of winter the last couple years where one can get 25% off parts and labor if you have it done during a specific time period. I believe it was November and early December this year. I try to time my "majors" for the off season when I know I'll be using the dealer.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by Tallyho; Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:41 pm.
post #32 of 59 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Just had my bike torn down for a number of projects: brake lines, instrument lights, cleaning and lubing, and just checking things out. And I spent some time thinking about this post, and others like it.

Seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that this LT is not for everyone. It's a fabulously unique machine, but it costs a lot to buy, and it costs a lot to maintain. You'll either have to pay to have it done, or learn to do it yourself. If neither option excites you, look elsewhere.

There's a bunch of cars out there that I'd love to own. I'm realistic enough to recognize that I can neither afford to operate them, or ever tackle the maintainance of those exotic machines. Same might apply to the LT. When I can no longer maintain this machine on my own, it'll have to go, and I'll settle for something else (no brands mentioned). That's just the way it is. No complaining, no venting, and no accusations that BMW dealers are crooks.
post #33 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
Just for fun I did the unthinkable. I added up all the maintenence and repair tickets for my 2000 LT.

I bought the bike with 22,300 miles in 2004 and now have 87,000 miles on it.

I have had the dealer perform all maintenance.

Total: $17,000+ and counting. Not too shabby for 55,000 miles. (I paid $9,000 for the bike.)
Holy golden sacred cow Batman! $17,000 for maintenance in four and a half years! It would be cheaper to buy a new bike every 24 months!

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #34 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 9:09 am

I have to agree with dglenn1. Most dealers I've been to are good people in a market that doesn't have the saturation of the auto dealerships. The place might be smaller but the price of parts, insurance, wages to keep good employees around, and (of course) taxes has to make it an expensive operation. I worked on aircraft for 30 years and the cost of doing business as opposed to the profit margin was a lot higher than auto's. Part of that was of course the parts were more expensive but the government regulations where a lot tougher and there is a smaller pool of customers. As much as we like to think there are a lot of bikes out there we are really only about 2 percent of the motor traffic. So I give them the business I can afford and do the rest myself. Of course I'll shop around and go to another dealer if I get a better price. Just my .02
post #35 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:14 am

I, too, believe most dealers are not crooks. I know prices can be steep but all things have to be considered, and a huge factor is one Diolach identifies, "wages to keep good employees around." That, in itself, is not cheap. I don't want an $8/ hr mechanic working on my bike. The staff need to make a living and pay bills like the rest of us. And the dealer needs to make enough to stay in business, buy nice things and pay the bills, and BMW needs to make some money. Etc, etc. It all adds up. I hope the dealers pay their mechanics well, or well enough for a decent living.

That said, I have also chosen the option of doing some things myself, for various reasons... one being $$$.
post #36 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that this LT is not for everyone. It's a fabulously unique machine, but it costs a lot to buy, and it costs a lot to maintain. You'll either have to pay to have it done, or learn to do it yourself. If neither option excites you, look elsewhere.
I agree. But at what point does any purchase seem unreasonable? The parts are less than $200.00 retail. The dealer said they could take me in tomorrow and have it done that evening. I could afford the 1670.00 but I need to see the value. IMHO they could not prove to me that there was any value there. I don't buy T-shits that cost 100.00 and i can't justify this gouging either.
post #37 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:10 am

I think you're right on the money (no pun intended) with respect to value. I couldn't justify paying that kind of money to have my bike repaired. But that's why I, and probably a lot of folks here, choose to do it ourselves, and are darned lucky to be able to do so. As I said, were I not able to repair my bike myself, I'd be out shopping for something more reliable, more affordable, and with at least a 25 year extended warranty! Seriously though, that's why I just don't think the LT is for everyone, no disrespect.

And since you're here, NCrider, how's your situation going?

Frank
post #38 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadog
Holy golden sacred cow Batman! $17,000 for maintenance in four and a half years! It would be cheaper to buy a new bike every 24 months!
You've got that right! (That figure also includes repairs such as 1) abs module, 2) clutch & slave cylinder, 3) rear drive, 4) throttle cables, 5) fork seals, etc. plus a set of Ohlins and new springs) It does not include a minor rear ender by my friend that cost about $6,500 to repair (that was paid by his insurance).

I love riding this bike but sometimes I look longingly at a Gold Wing or a Harley.....

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #39 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Quick hijack, I guess. Status update. Still not ready.

Wow! As I was typing, the dealer called... might be ready tomorrow, probably not today. They know I have a trip next week to Iron Horse and will give me something more adequate than the F800S to ride if, God forbid, it's still not done. It was the rear main seal. Don't know if they found contamination on the clutch or anything else, but they're going over it in detail. Been talking to BMW NA too and it sounds as though the talks may be productive.

Of course, I'll post when I'm back on board. This last weekend we took the Ural to Wilmington for Azalea fest. While fun, it beat the he## out of me.
post #40 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Living in Los Angles area you should be able to find an independent mechanic who can do the work that you cant do yourself. Your bike is still pretty new. After warranty it becomes truly a expensive toy to maintain, not like GoldWing. Honda's are basically bullet proof, thats why non-mechanical riders like them. I would suggest you do as much as possible yourself since you are in the auto business or have access to mechanics. What you cant do, find a independent, he will charge much less than a authorized BMW shop. I just had my brakes done and flushes for fluids at about 60% of the BMW shop rate. I'm not that mechanical but will be hard pressed to pay someone $80+ hour to do something that I can learn or do myself with a limited tool box On the upside, the K1200LT bike is certainly more fun to ride than a Wing with regards to open road sports handling and cornering. The Wing is simply a saddle seated corolla with 2 wheels. I know, after renting one in San Francisco last week for 3 days, not even a contest, except with regards to power,,1800cc. BTW, its OK to vent, we hear ya bro. Most of the LT owners on this Forum are BMW die hards or mechanical tech heads. After owning a LT motorcycle, it would never occur to me to buy a used BMW car, my pocket book just isnt big enough.

post #41 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Quote:
That service for a $90,000.00 Lexus LS430 is $1200.00.

You bought a cage that costs $90,000????????
I could buy a lifetime of LT's for that much.......

Who knew?

2000 K1200 LT
1973 R75/5
1999 Honda Africa Twin (sold)
1999 R1100 RTP (sold)
1998 R1100 GS (totaled)
1991 R100 RT (sold)
1988 Honda NR250 (sold)
1983 Honda CB350 (sold)
post #42 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 6:13 pm

Tony I feel your pain, I just took my bike in for the first 600 mile inspection, The fee was about 300.00 to change oil and filters and the FD lube. But I need to mention that being a shop owner myself most of our customers really don't know what it cost to run a shop let alone a dealership, all they see is the shop labor rate. I certainly am not defending the dealers but with the cost of tooling and the like it all comes under the price of doing business and you and I suffer at times. I was partner in an International Truck Dealership before I went out on my own, the over head just over overwhelms you at times.

I have 4 techs on the floor, plus 2 guys in the office. The techs start at 13.50 to 19.75 per hour. Just the computer fees alone are a little over 500.00 per month weather you use the service or not let alone the stand alone service programs for Cat, Cummins and Detroit. This only covers the heavy end, the medium duty line is just as expensive. But I have to agree with you that some dealers do take advantage of the situation. I plan on doing my own maintenance , with the assistance from the kind people here I would think you could do almost anything. Thanks for your time

John

Newest Addition --Black 09 LT
03 1600 Kawasaki
93 Honda 1100 ACE
86 Yamaha 650
BMW MOA # 148120
post #43 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Wow!!! I just got my 12K done at my dealer for $309.75 parts and labor, less the air filter change (heard they are good for 24K unless you ride your LT in the dirt). Tires were in good shape with about 6K left on them so did not need. Bought the LT used and put new tires on then.
post #44 of 59 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpnorm
Wow!!! I just got my 12K done at my dealer for $309.75 parts and labor, less the air filter change (heard they are good for 24K unless you ride your LT in the dirt). Tires were in good shape with about 6K left on them so did not need. Bought the LT used and put new tires on then.
Do you know what all they did? Did they change the brake fluid? That sounds pretty low if they did all of the required 12K items.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #45 of 59 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:09 am

I did not get the brake fluid or the coolant changed, nonetheless I still did not have to pay $995 for the 12k service either. I am going to have my son check the condition (moisture level) of the brake fluid in a few weeks, as well as the coolant.
post #46 of 59 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:12 am

I should have said too that the brake fluid change is quoted as an annual service, and the coolant change is every two years; not part of the 12K service.
post #47 of 59 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

So what do you guys think of this kit from Beemerboneyard for $168.00?

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkits.html

Complete new maintenance kit for all K1200LT/RS and K1200GT (GT up to 2005 only) bikes.

Includes a Mann air filter & Mann fuel filter,Bosch oil filter with crush washer, oil filter door O-ring, oil filler plug O-ring, 2 fuel line hose clamps, transmission and final drive crush washer set, 2 extra Viton O-rings for the fuel line disconnects, and 4 Bosch XR7LDC spark plugs. Also includes a 5 liter jug of high quality German Liqui-Moly Racing 4T Synth 10W-50 engine oil and (3) 500ML bottles of Liqui-Moly 75W90 Synthetic Racing gear oil. This is the fully synthetic engine oil with API-SG JASO MA rating and the fully synthetic 75W90 gear oil (GL-5 rating). This is enough for 1 engine oil change on you K-bike with 1 liter left over for topping up and 1 trans and final drive oil change with approx 250ml left for topping up. New these parts total nearly $250, save big here!
post #48 of 59 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 1:32 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I think you should buy the kit, then put a call out in the SouthWest forum for a tech session. We'll pick a convenient date and get you sorted out in no time. You might even learn something along the way . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #49 of 59 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:00 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k1200ltsupmaintkits.html

Complete new maintenance kit for all K1200LT/RS and K1200GT (GT up to 2005 only) bikes.

Includes a Mann air filter & Mann fuel filter,Bosch oil filter with crush washer, oil filter door O-ring, oil filler plug O-ring, 2 fuel line hose clamps, transmission and final drive crush washer set, 2 extra Viton O-rings for the fuel line disconnects, and 4 Bosch XR7LDC spark plugs. Also includes a 5 liter jug of high quality German Liqui-Moly Racing 4T Synth 10W-50 engine oil and (3) 500ML bottles of Liqui-Moly 75W90 Synthetic Racing gear oil. This is the fully synthetic engine oil with API-SG JASO MA rating and the fully synthetic 75W90 gear oil (GL-5 rating). This is enough for 1 engine oil change on you K-bike with 1 liter left over for topping up and 1 trans and final drive oil change with approx 250ml left for topping up. New these parts total nearly $250, save big here!
Tony,
Have bought and used the kit without the liquids. Works perfect. I didn't immediately use the Air/Fuel filters but assume they will work too. Did the rest myself and it's really easy. Changing the air/fuel filter involves stripping her down and removing the gas tank. May be best done at a tech session.
Jealous there are none of those around here ..... too few BMW owners.
PAMELA is currently at the dealer having the rear main seal done (wasn't about to tackle that one myself) so they're doing fuel/air filter and a few other items while she's split in two.
Best,
Keir
post #50 of 59 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 3:10 pm

almost 4 years ago I went to Lonestar BMW...at my wife's "encouragement"...

I walked out with a FREE motorcycle... but it cost me over $20K for the keys and license plate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in