Ez Pass Mountng - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Question Ez Pass Mountng

I know this has been discussed, but can't come up with the right word/phrase doing a search.

Those using EZ Pass, where and how do you have the transponder mounted?

Any heads up or help on choosing a method and location for mounting will be appreciated.

Prefer answers with actual experience with mounting and using the EZ Pass transponder.

Thanks

John F
Cincinnati, OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

EZ Pass

Hi In California they call it a Fast Track. I have mine inside my trunk mounted on the lid,it works great. Jim
post #3 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Pass Mounting

I have mine velcroed in the trunk in the little compartment that holds the paper oil funnels and the mirror. The magnet is plenty strong enough for it to be mounted on the door and the tupperware trunk is transparent to the radio waves that trigger the transponder.

Works very well for me - perhaps too well as i use it more than I want to pay for. Oh well.

FWIW - YMMV

Ray

post #4 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:59 pm

With heated seats, a steel luggage rack, the wife on the pillion, my EZ-Pass would not trigger from inside the trunk mirror area. Works fine on the left fixed wind wing for me.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #5 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:24 pm

I have mine mounted to the winglet on the right side under the mirror. I use an additional piece of the of plastic velcro stuff available in most Radio Shack stores. It's never fallen off in the past 120k miles, with many a trip on the Cross Bronx Expressway.
post #6 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Would not work for me in the trunk, and nothings more embarrassing than when it doesn't work and you back up traffic! I moved it to the fixed wing on the left side and it works great. By the way, I just read where e-z pass is now accepted in Ohio and Illinois.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #7 of 27 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks...I know IL is accepting EZ PASS, but I am not sure about OH.There is no mention of OH accepting EZ PASS on either the Ohio Turnpike website or the EZ Pass Website.

I ride the PA and WV Turnpikes enough to make this a useful addition.

John F
Cincinnati, OH
post #8 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 4:58 am

John,
If you get one of those large "butt ugly" ones, the attached picture will show you where I have mine mounted. I do not use it that often, so it is rarely on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ-Pass.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1604  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 7:31 am

Just put it in the front of the tank bag. Easy to take out and move to the car and can't be seen inside the bag.

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC
post #10 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 9:56 am

I have a K1200LT and a buddy of mine told me to put it under the rear trunk lid just below the courtesy light. I mounted it with a piece of duct tape and it has worked fine for me. No worry about it being stolen out of sight also.

Rod G
post #11 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:04 am

How about in the front fairing....

near the headlight housing or inside the side fairing panel?
I have to mount mine and trying to get ideas.
Thanks Gang,
Mark
post #12 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:01 am

Here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.jpeg
Views:	813
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1609  

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #13 of 27 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 8:45 pm

I have stopped mounting mine. I have put it under the map pocket on my tank bag and it works fine that way, I have also tried putting it in the top pocket of my jacket and it works equally well there too. This has been done by me a number of times travelling between CT and VA. Just my .02 cents.

Fred Rosenbaum
NF1U
2006 K1200LT Totaled
2005 R1200GS
post #14 of 27 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:33 am

Get a Techmount

I got a Techmount that screwed right into a mounting hole on the right handlebar. The ""SunPass" I use is velcroed right onto the mounting plate which you can adjust to any position. If you IM me with your email address I will send you a pic if you like (when I get home...am traveling today). It makes for a very professional installation. Ride Safe, Ron
post #15 of 27 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 1:55 pm

Mounting inside trunk

If you mount it inside the trunk, put it in the same position it would be if fastened to your windshield. Mine is upright on the front of the top case using velcro. I shipped my bike accross country and was charged for all the truck tolls all the way home. So it was reading through the top case, and through the truck aluminum skin.

I did get all fees refunded, but it took two letters along with a copy of the shipping invoice from Allied Van Lines. PA turnpike was the worst!

Carl
PATTI 2002 K12000LTC Toscanna Green
NO NAME 1993 FXDWG Red/Dk Red
post #16 of 27 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR
I have stopped mounting mine. I have put it under the map pocket on my tank bag and it works fine that way, I have also tried putting it in the top pocket of my jacket and it works equally well there too. This has been done by me a number of times travelling between CT and VA. Just my .02 cents.
That's good to know. Although I haven't had a problem with the mounting, I was thinking of bagging or pocketing it so I didn't need to remove it when in undesirable areas.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #17 of 27 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:57 pm

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_faller
If you mount it inside the trunk, put it in the same position it would be if fastened to your windshield. Mine is upright on the front of the top case using velcro. I shipped my bike accross country and was charged for all the truck tolls all the way home. So it was reading through the top case, and through the truck aluminum skin.
So this brings up a related question: if shipping your bike (or if the EZ Pass is in luggage inside a car, for example), how does one PREVENT its signal from getting picked up? Do you need Superman's lead-lined box (the one he kept Kryptonite in)?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #18 of 27 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNF
I know this has been discussed, but can't come up with the right word/phrase doing a search.

Any heads up or help on choosing a method and location for mounting will be appreciated.

Prefer answers with actual experience with mounting and using the EZ Pass transponder.

Thanks

John F
Cincinnati, OH
if i have my tanki bag on I put it in it, if not, I put it in the clear cover of my stingray bag, works like a charm

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #19 of 27 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkrK12
Just put it in the front of the tank bag. Easy to take out and move to the car and can't be seen inside the bag.
I'm planning on using my motorcycle specific ezpass in the top pocket of my Chicane tank bag. I squeezed it into little one just behind the rain cover. Anyone know if this will work?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #20 of 27 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
So this brings up a related question: if shipping your bike (or if the EZ Pass is in luggage inside a car, for example), how does one PREVENT its signal from getting picked up? Do you need Superman's lead-lined box (the one he kept Kryptonite in)?
That might work, but there is an easier way! E-Z Pass tags ship with a metallic mylar bag that will block the signal from the tag. Just pop the tag in the bag, fold the bag over and voila, no-reado!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #21 of 27 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 6:49 pm

One half price in N Y State

It has to have a big M on the ez pass and you only are charged one half price in N Y. (motorcycle specific) Started a year ago. Can't use it on the 4 wheeler. Other states the regular rate is charged with this pass.
post #22 of 27 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Jim,

I thought the motorcycle EZPass discount in NY was only for a very few specific tolls? Are you saying it applies to all tolls? If so, I guess I should get my own instead of borrowing my wife's all the time.

regards,
-joel
post #23 of 27 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Joel, in our area (metro ny) there is a slight discount (not half) for all our bridges and tunnels. As you know one must have a motorcycle specific ezpass. I would assume we would get a discount in other jurisdictions if that jurisdiction gives a reduced rate to their pass holders, but don't quote me on that.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #24 of 27 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

Well, Its called Smart-tag here in VA. And they always recommend to wrap it in Aluminum Foil while not in use on the shelf, in the mail etc.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #25 of 27 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:29 am

NY discount

I get the half price all up and down the N Y State Thruway since last year. Other states are the reg price. Also Trailers on motorcyces are free on the Thruway. I got a bag with the tag to put the pass in when not using it or don't want it recorded.
post #26 of 27 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNF
Mine is taped under the instrument panel cowling.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #27 of 27 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Mine works too well!!!!!

I have my EZ pass mounted on inside front panel of the top case just like in a car. Position the top towards the front of the bike when case is open, and when you close the top it will work. I shipped my bike from Jackson Hole to Wilmington in an Allied Van Lines Truck. Amazingly my EZ pass account was charged for all tolls at the truck rate. The truck paid and so did I! The readers were reading my ezpass inside the truck.

Oh well a couple letters and I got my money refunded to my account.

Carl
PATTI 2002 K12000LTC Toscanna Green
NO NAME 1993 FXDWG Red/Dk Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in