Why we appreciate the LT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Why we appreciate the LT!

I've seen some less than positive threads lately concerning the LT, so I'm posting this positive LT thread in direct response. Alright guys... name one specific thing you appreciate about your LT that hasn't already been stated in this thread. Personally, I really appreciate the wind protection this bike offers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:17 am

The heated passenger seat. Ok my wife likes it but it allows me to ride more.
Rick
post #3 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:27 am

no friggin vibration and cruising at 100 mph! I grew up on english bikes and to this day wonder if thats why I get tingling in my feet and hands all the time. Its like the faster you cruise the more this bike likes it.....yea I know I'm stupid...but its the truth

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT

post #4 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:37 am

Thumbs up

The fact that not every-one has one !! I could have purchased a Wing or HD and been one of the crowd but -----.
On one of my outings I had some people looking the bike over (like that doesn't happen frequently) and one guy said "damn-thats the Cadillac of bikes" ---- his buddy replied "thats almost an insult, this is the BMW of bikes". That pretty much says it all doesn't it??
post #5 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:42 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Its like the faster you cruise the more this bike likes it.....

It's true... My bike likes to cruise at 100 as well... My Volkswagen Passat was like that, the faster I drove it the better it ran and I got a lot better as milage... REALLY!!!

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 2:22 am

Hello !

One thing ? then i have to say the whole package. Not just one thing on the bike.

Regards from Sweden

Ralf
post #7 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 7:07 am

I like the fact that even though the bike is a tourer, not a sports tourer, the bike seems to have a greater lean angle going thru corners then a Goldwing, i cant give lean angles specifically, but i honestly think the LT leans more.

I appreciate this as i traded two marvelously wonderful Sports Tourers in for my LT (2000 VFR800 & 2001 K1200RS)
post #8 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 7:36 am

Thumbs up Why I appreciate the LT

I go with jorawro, not everyone has one like a Goldwing and HD. I have had a 2001 and in a 1-1/2 years put 24,000 miles on it with no problems. Now I have a 2005 with 18,000 miles with no problems to speak of. I do most all my own service so they are not high to maintain. They handle the best of any bike I have had at high speed. I have no complaint with low speed handling as long as you keep off the front brake and keep the front wheel straight when stopping and taking off.

Jerry
post #9 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 7:40 am

Besides the wonderful machine itself? This web site, for all of its information, the HoW, and the folks here who are so willing to share what they know with others.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 7:50 am

It's a BMW Motorcycle. There jis ain't nuthin better.
post #11 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:18 am

Probably the only bike I could get my wife to ride with me -- she loves the comfort. The LT is the smoothest, quietest bike I have ever ridden.

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #12 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
The fact that not every-one has one !! I could have purchased a Wing or HD and been one of the crowd but -----.
On one of my outings I had some people looking the bike over (like that doesn't happen frequently) and one guy said "damn-thats the Cadillac of bikes" ---- his buddy replied "thats almost an insult, this is the BMW of bikes". That pretty much says it all doesn't it??
WEll put!!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #13 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:55 am

One word: EVERYTHING!

My story is that I got my lisc last spring. I have a 78 /7 that sat for more than 3 years and all I had to do it when i got it was to change the oil and clean the carbs. It has over 93K miles. Once I was riding everyday and I mean everyday I was hooked. We bought our 05 LT on our one year wedding anniversary because well we wanted to. My wife loves the comfort and i love the way the bike handles. I never even considered any other brand.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

Last edited by Lzyellodog; Jan 19th, 2006 at 11:42 am.
post #14 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:01 am

The LT is awesome!

The LT is BMW # 5 for me, before that HD and BSA and Triumphs.

I knew I wanted an LT for a long time,
but what impressed me was:
when I told my wife to sit on it she instinctivly reached down and put her hands on the saddlebag handgrips,
when we took it for a ride she held on there, it made her feel very secure.
On my previous BMW ( K1100LT) she held on to the lugage rack behind her, or me.
What I'm trying to say is,
with her more comfortable I can lean a little harder into the curves and she's loving it.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:28 am

The RIDE.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #16 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:58 am

Drove 350 miles last sat / weather conditions cold wet .
wife on the back ,says snug as a bug in a rug ,heated seats (ooooohh)
she,s got no complaints.
I could of rode the same distance again that day .
100 mph cruising ,what a machine .

Graphite

04 your 05 in Blighty
post #17 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:42 am

Watching people check the bike out

Another reason to love the LT:

I met my wife and In-law's at a restaurant for the mother in law's birthday after work and was sitting where I could see the bike in the parking lot.

Every person who came in or left the restaurant went to look at the bike, walk around it, show it to their family, etc.

I could almost hear them thinking "What a cool bike. I should buy one and hit the open road...". That was fun to watch.

Thanks for this post. The LT is my second bike and I ride to work practically every day. It's a great winter bike, and for me is a wonderful commuter as well as tourer.

Joe
post #18 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Smile

The mechanics at the Harley Dealership own a BMW too.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #19 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 2:04 pm

That I can ride her real hard but it stays all smooth. The aluminium from the footpegs grinds off quite fast though

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #20 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Thought of making a similar post yesterday when I rode to Foothills BMW. Total comfort underway. Cruise is heaven. Beating traffic to the correct turn lane at the next light is eeeeasy. Totally at home in the cockpit.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #21 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Thumbs up

The comfort, the smoothness of the engine, the CD player the Sat Nav, the heated seats,heated grips, the electric stand the electric screen need I go on. and the fact that it is not a UJM.
post #22 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:11 pm

hi everybody from israel.i am shore that the lt is the best bike off oll world. more then the wings
post #23 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Talking Why we appreciate the LT!

Sadly I must give the credit to my lovely better half! She fell head over heels at a Motorcycle show with the LT!!! After learning of all the amenities I too fell in love with this awesome machine. Everytime and I mean everytime I ride I smile. Just being in the saddle brings such joy. Not to mention the "Are you NUTS" stares from people in cages in the winter! How often do you guys get stopped and asked "Aren't you COLD?!" Well let me tell you why I'm not. I haven't had the experience most on this site possess (with many different bikes). But I don't mind one bit, in just owning one bike. To have the best to start with is not too shabby. Still trying to adjust to the rush when taking off from a traffic light(can't believe something this big is this fast). Thank you
God for BMW and as stated before this fantastic site!

Just my 2 cents
post #24 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Smile Can't stop smiling

Can't help but smile when riding. It is a bike to ride, not wash or admire.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:48 pm

i appreciate my bike lots more this time of year, when the temp drops. heated grips, seat, and a jack to plug in a vest make all the diff. that combined with great fairing design keep you as warm as possible when it is chilly outside.

there are things i would change about the bike if i could. but when it gets nasty outside there isn't any other bike i'd rather ride.
post #26 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Talking

Every thing on the bike is great.

To find out why find someone who will let you ride an old Honda 305, or an old BSA,Triumph.

Then you will get the picture.

I have a 1974 R90/6 put back on the road last spring. The first ride was good, But I though I had to learn to ride all over again. An stopping that beast is something else. The only bike that was harder to stop was the 1937/39 HD. why 37/39 no one could tell what parts it was made of.

As are old cowboy buddy use to say Happy Trails.

OH, there I go showing my age again.
post #27 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Exclamation The ball and chain made me do it!

My beautiful wife made me get the LT. Went from an '02 Yamaha XVS 1100 cruiser (pillion seat like sitting on a brick - her words) to the LT. She sat on the pillion seat and didn't want to get off! Took a demo for a test run for over 1.5 hours and she didn't get off the seat once, didn't lose feeling in her legs or feet like on the cruiser (after only 30 minutes riding on the XVS). That made the bike a winner.

Another reason, as detailed in previous posts, the looks you get. Stopped at a local shopping centre on the way home day I got the LT and the stares and comments from people was very nice , really boosted the ego and confirmed my wifes excellent decision in allowing me to get this magnificent piece of machinery.

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #28 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Talking

Doing a beautiful twisty smooth road at 100 miles/hour. That's when the LT show her stuff. Now that's livin...

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #29 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Power wind screen, cruise, ambient air temp, fun to ride in the winter, reverse, CD player, can't judge how fast you are going above 75 mph without looking at the speedometer.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #30 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Why I like the LT is like asking why I like women.
That is a hard question to answer in short paragraph.

What first drew me to it was the smooth flowing lines of the bike I first saw one online and thought WOW I like that, then after doing some research on them I realized that the more I learned about the bike the more I liked it. I was looking for a touring bike in the near future and was leaning towards the Harley for a few reasons but at some point I decided that the LT was more my kind of bike and I bought one without ever even riding one and I love it I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now and I enjoy it a lot for many reasons but the top 3 reasons for me are Power, Handling & not everyone and their sister has one.
I could go on but I will not.
Was nice to see a positive post on here for a change.
post #31 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Thumbs up Great bike

besides all the great options, handling, and smile on my face when riding the LT.....I love the fact that a tall guy can ride this bike comfortably and carry the girl on back....comfortably!!

6'8" by the way.

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #32 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Could have bought anything

I was tempted to buy an HD for the ego boost, but when I came out of the DMV and my LT was surrounded buy admirers my ego was more than satisfied.
I love technology and I couldn't spend the money for an HD when the same amount bought me SOOO much more in an LT. I couldn't ride my other bikes for 15 minutes before my hands went numb, and a a couple hours would find me stiff and sore. This has not happened since I bought my LT. I can ride for hours and feel fresh as a daisy!
post #33 of 97 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:36 pm

It's something the Bad Ted articulated so well a year or so ago.

The Smirk.

You get The Smirk when you embarass a sport bike in a canyon.
You get TS when eating lunch and MiniVan Dad takes a lap around your bike before coming in.
You get TS when the Low fuel light comes on and realise you've been in the saddle 4 hours without really noticing.
You get TS when the SO asks "Can we ride this weekend instead of going to Moms?"
You get TS when "harley chick" (tm) admires the bike and the BF stomps off in a huff.
You get TS when the little boy in the car next to you starts drooling, and so does his Dad.

I love The Smirk.
post #34 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:10 am

The stopping power..I've had to use a couple of times to avoid trouble from a couple of day dreaming cagers..The brakes are so powerful it almost threw me over the handlebars the first time I hit the panic stop mode!!
Other than that, the Grin/Smirk that just pops out whenever I'm out on a ride..
post #35 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
The most comfortable touring bike I've ever owned and the only one that handles close to a sport bike.

I also love the Big Friggin Alternator output! Farkle-Power

Aint that the truth!
post #36 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcra
That I can ride her real hard but it stays all smooth. The aluminium from the footpegs grinds off quite fast though

Yeah but if you can lay yer hands on some titanium and jb weld it to the hero lugs WOW....

Sparkie, Sparkie!!

I havent done it to my Lite Truck yet, but seen a rider on a YZF R1 with it
post #37 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
Yeah but if you can lay yer hands on some titanium and jb weld it to the hero lugs WOW....

Sparkie, Sparkie!!

I havent done it to my Lite Truck yet, but seen a rider on a YZF R1 with it
What a fine idea, might try that. When I am downunder I'll borrow some of your JB stock an go ahead

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #38 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Better believe I appreciate it!

It's a Baaaaaaaddd, Baaaaadd bike!

And that's a GOOOOOOOOOODDDD Thing!

Ride it like you stole it, eh?

Don

Don Hutchins
Kingston, WA
'03 K12LT "Stealth Starship Helga II"
K 12 Light Trucker since 1999
post #39 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Talking why I appreciate my LT

The grin that is plastered on my face whenever I even think about it...
post #40 of 97 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Smile

Been thinking about this one for a couple of days and there are many reasons, but one was emphasized today as I was riding here in Seattle in the cold and mist; I looked one lane to the right at a dude in a big SUV, he had his Starbucks Coffee, heater on, tunes on and all he could do was stare at me and my bike. He seemed bored. I had my Gerbing cranked, grips on, seat on, GPS on, cell phone neatly attached to my right handlebar, iPOD playing my favorites and my Starbucks Coffee neatly sitting in my BMW built cupholder. I left him in the dust at the stoplight. Wow, think I died and went to heaven.

Wonder if that guy will wander to the BMW store this weekend?

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #41 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
Been thinking about this one for a couple of days and there are many reasons, but one was emphasized today as I was riding here in Seattle in the cold and mist; I looked one lane to the right at a dude in a big SUV, he had his Starbucks Coffee, heater on, tunes on and all he could do was stare at me and my bike. He seemed bored. I had my Gerbing cranked, grips on, seat on, GPS on, cell phone neatly attached to my right handlebar, iPOD playing my favorites and my Starbucks Coffee neatly sitting in my BMW built cupholder. I left him in the dust at the stoplight. Wow, think I died and went to heaven.

Wonder if that guy will wander to the BMW store this weekend?
I read this a while ago and I'm still amused.
post #42 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 6:38 am

Thumbs up What do we appreciate about the LT?

I am fortunate enough to have several motorcycles (or stupid enough depending on your viewpoint) one of which is an LT and having ridden most brands over a period approaching 50 years now my opinion is that all motorcycles have their good points. But this is my.02 cents worth.

1. Fuel mileage
2. Power band
3. Handling
4. Good stereo
5. Choice of gearing (I like the tall first gear)
6. Superb Brakes!
7. Confidence given from anti-lock
8. Adjustable windshield
9. Heated seats and grips
10. Comfortable seats
11. Large Trunk
12. Appearance
13. Attention: it is surprising how many Harley riders look at it and ask questions.

There are some disappointments too of course but only a couple. BMW has hit a homerun with this bike and I personally hope they donít decide to replace it with a new design any time soon.
post #43 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:52 am

Love the stares

I like the fact that when i just picked my bike up from the local Honda dealership (there is no BMW dealership in my town) the mechanics all gathered around it to ask questions and tell me what a hot bike it was. I gathered from their comments that more than one had given it a spin.

My son who had just arrived from college and never seen the bike yet, had told me that he thought it was a old man's bike. He was at the dealership with me, heard all the comments, saw the bike and now all the sudden thinks the bike is cool. Dad is still not cool though! I think that changes their senior year in college.

Lastly all my Harley friends think the bike is cool and said they will make an exception and I can ride with them. They said at least it isn't a jap bike! Comments like that is what makes them Harley riders, I guess.

Love the bike!!!!
post #44 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:18 am

Talking It's the ride!

We may be critical of little things, but the big picture is the LT is one awesome mile eating speed freak. As others have said the faster you go the better it is!
post #45 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:32 am

it is the best

In addition to all that is mentioned above, I like being able to drive out of my garage in the morning. Power reverse is such a great thing.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #46 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdave
------- Dad is still not cool though! I think that changes their senior year in college.
Just remember, the longer a person goes to school, the smarter their parents get!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #47 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:00 pm

My wife loves it! She had never even sat on my previous bikes, but enjoys this one. I suspect it has something to do with being a BMW. She seems to like german made things, I came home the other day with a Concept 2, and she loved that also. She said it looks so... german.(and then I told her that it was)
I wonder if she knew how much I spent on the LT(and the C2) if she would continue loving me? She doesn't ask, and I don't offer.
The LT is great, and this forum only makes it better.
post #48 of 97 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
and my Starbucks Coffee neatly sitting in my BMW built cupholder. I left him in the dust at the stoplight.
Well that settles it, I've got to get me one of them cupholders

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #49 of 97 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Just remember, the longer a person goes to school, the smarter their parents get!

Our kids seems to forget that both myself and my Wife were their age once and we know all the tricks cos we did it ourself when we were their age

The other thing i really like abou the LT is the volume of the Horn. Damn its loud. But i honestly think the K1100LT has a louder horn, well my Dads did i recon.
I will never forget Dad and i went for a ride late one evening thru town and some jerk on his pushbike decided to jump his bike off the footpath and almost collected Dads K1100LT, but Dad jumped on the horn and the kid on his treadlie im sure i could see his eye balls fall out of his head and he darted backtowards the gutter and hit it and had a gutser. Couldnt have happened to a niceer kid.

I have had a few cage drivers who have decided here in townsville to attempt to become a pillion passenger for me while still driving their car
and a good long application of the horn button with the thumb as quickly got them back to the job at hand with eye balls the size of dinner plates.

If i ever changed the horns i would use Fiamm as this was the choice to use on the VFR's as the stock horn on the VFR is about as usefull as fly screens in a submarine. Dunno what brand of horns are on the LT, but they sure are loud
post #50 of 97 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
The other thing i really like abou the LT is the volume of the Horn. Dunno what brand of horns are on the LT, but they sure are loud
The first time i used it I was under a bridge and it scared the sh*t outta me! i was prepped for the anemic toot from my Japanese bikes and i swear, i can still hear it ringing in my ears when its quiet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in