2006 K1200LT Half Cover - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

2006 K1200LT Half Cover

I am looking to find a half cover for my new LT. I want it to be small so I can pack it on the bike, but protect it from elements at night . I have seen many on the net, but want one that fits just right. I do not want a full storage cover. If you have purchased one or know of a site that handles these please let me know...

Thanks and have a safe ride.

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakazie
I am looking to find a half cover for my new LT. I want it to be small so I can pack it on the bike, but protect it from elements at night . I have seen many on the net, but want one that fits just right. I do not want a full storage cover. If you have purchased one or know of a site that handles these please let me know...

These are the BEST ! !

http://secure.yisi.net/exigent/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=21

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #3 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 4:20 pm

E-Z Touring, "Traveler"

I don't know if this cover is the "best", but it certainly has worked well for us, and it is very compact.

http://eztouring.com/traveller.htm

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA

post #4 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Another vote on the EZ Touring Traveller. Works well for me. Good tight fit. Very easy to pack. Comes with very compact stuff sack.

http://eztouring.com/traveller.htm

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
post #5 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 4:31 pm

I use a Geza Cover size "large". Works beautifully on the LT and is very compact. Geza has an XL cover available for the LT which provides full coverage, but is a little bulkier. The Geza covers are very compact and incredible quality. I've had many covers over the years and will never use anything but Geza in the future. The Large size cover will provide you about 3/4's coverage on the LT. Coverage is full in the front and a little more than 1/2 in the back. Material is very strechable. WRT the antenna, I run the cover between the top box and the antenna which results in the left pannier being the only painted part of the bike not covered. The cover stuffs in to a sock about 10" long and 4-5" diameter. Takes me all of 30 seconds to put the cover on and take it off and stuff in the sock. Cover is also rated to 80+ MPH for towing. I've towed a HD and Triumph several times with Geza covers and they performed flawlessly. I have no connection with Geza other than a satisfied customer.

Here is the site: http://www.gezagear.com/customercomments.htm
post #6 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Smile Half Covers

Gongrats on the new bike. Noticed you live in Albuq. Havn't run into very many LT owners in the city at all. Now we just need to convince more to go buy beamer, vice harley's in this city. Be Safe! jim

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #7 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Thumbs up

I have one of these and have been real satisfied with it. Have used it thru two summers and its still like new. Packs up small and comes with carry bag. The large fits the LT like it was made for it. Check out the UV2000 here:

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers.htm

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #8 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 7:07 pm

post #9 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 7:53 pm

this might be just the best half cover you'll ever buy

I have this one also, Its small, light and very well built, and priced great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E

Renzo
post #10 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:49 pm

2006 K1200LT Half Cover

www.tourkingcovers.com

Works for me. Light weight, easy to store. Inexpensive
Take a look at the 1200LT in their pictures.

You decide....enjoy...

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #11 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Carl,

Is it the large cover you are using or extra large? I like the looks of this cover for the money

Jerry Mathison
post #12 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
Carl,

Is it the large cover you are using or extra large? I like the looks of this cover for the money

Jerry Mathison
Sorry. it must have been the extra large. Been awhile since I bought it. Fits the windshield and the nose real nice. Covers the top case, but not the side cases. Price is pretty reasonalble too.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #13 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:40 pm

I'll 2nd the Tour King. Rolls up to Coke Can Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyp
www.tourkingcovers.com

Works for me. Light weight, easy to store. Inexpensive
Take a look at the 1200LT in their pictures.

You decide....enjoy...
I've had mine for 4 years, keeps the dew and rain off and fits over the trunk rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cycle cover and rain Bennington VT.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1588  

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #14 of 41 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Garage
Hey, everyone:

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to know if any of the covers mentioned in the replies are suitable for an open trailer. I may be trailering to CCR, as my family is coming too, so I'm thinking of buying a Kendon, Port-a-Chopper, or Trailer-in-a-bag for the trip...haven't decided which yet. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #15 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I love my Geza cover, except for one thing - it's not waterproof. Otherwise, it's been great for the past 5 years. Also it would be the best choice for an open trailer, as it is stretchy and would minimize flapping.

It's time to replace it now, and I really want a waterproof half cover this time. The UV-2000 looks good, and at a decent price.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Jan 19th, 2006 at 12:50 am.
post #16 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Talking Another vote for Tour King

I recommend the Tour King half cover as have a couple of others. It is inexpensive, fits well, rolls up very small for storage and mine has never leaked.

Did I mention it's cheap?

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #17 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:29 pm

NelsonRigg

My vote is for the Nelson Rigg Half... I used it for 4 years and it kept my top side dry... But not dust free...depending on wind conditions.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #18 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
My vote is for the Nelson Rigg Half... I used it for 4 years and it kept my top side dry... But not dust free...depending on wind conditions.
I use the Nelson 1/2 and like it too...Only think I don't like about it is no additional scratch protection for the windshield area. I might try the Honda 1/2 cover I read about in this forum for my next cover.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #19 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
I'd like to know if any of the covers mentioned in the replies are suitable for an open trailer.
Joe,
Ditto other recommendation on Geza cover for open air trailering. The Geza cover is guaranteed for trailering up to 80+ MPH. The Geza XL for the BMW K12LT provides full coverage to the floor. Though I haven't towed the BMW with the Geza cover, I have towed HD's for thousands of miles with the Geza cover with outstanding results. You will find that there are several securing loops at the bottom edge of the Geza covers. I zip tie these bottom loops to the trailer floor and literally put the bike in to a cocoon.
post #20 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
I have one of these and have been real satisfied with it. Have used it thru two summers and its still like new. Packs up small and comes with carry bag. The large fits the LT like it was made for it. Check out the UV2000 here:

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers.htm
I have this one for my Sprint ST, and I think I will get one for the LT. It works great while traveling, and packs up into a small bag.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #21 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 6:14 pm
Rider Journeyman

Geza

Howdy Tom,

I use the Geza cover. It's the right size, small, stows easily and has vents in the storage bag to help the moisture evaporate. I attach it to my top case rack/storage bag so it's out in the air.

As Ken mentioned, it's not "waterproof", it does however direct most of the water away. It will also keep frost/snow off the bike.

For me, the primary purpose of the cover is to "keep prying eyes off the farkle". If it rains and the bike gets wet, then I'm probably wearing rain gear anyway. If it's going to be a dry day, no rain gear, then I dry the seat and go.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #22 of 41 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:

I'll agree with Buddy, this is the best half cover I've found. It fits the LT like a glove, takes up very little space in the case.

www.tourkingcovers.com

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #23 of 41 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:06 am

Stay Away From Geza

I ride one of my bikes to work every day, year-round. I also cover them. In my travels, I cover them each night while on the road.

Dont' purchase a Geza. I thought that I wanted one for years. My wife purchased one for an anniversary present. Using it daily, the silicone, or teflon filler used in the material began to "flake out". Similar to dandruff falling from one's head. After only one month the Geza completely lost it's water resistance. Another problem, is that the thing soaks up about four gallons of water when it does rain. If you are on the road, you have to squeeze it out and stow it where it can dry. This make a couple of days.

I now have the Eztour, Traveller. So far, after about two years, this works fine. No concerns, other than the color fading.

Good luck.
post #24 of 41 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Unhappy Half Cover

I left a message with EZ Touring company and did not get a return call. I guess they are out of business, or have more orders than they can fill.

I am going to be looking at a different cover.

James
2002 LTE Titan Silver

Last edited by beemer100; Feb 4th, 2006 at 7:17 pm. Reason: wrong word
post #25 of 41 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 2:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer100
I left a message with EZ Touring company and did not get a return call. I guess they are out of business, or have more orders than they can fill.

James
2002 LTE Titan Silver
One more plug for these guys! They make a full and half cover both pack up nice for touring.
http://secure.yisi.net/exigent/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=21

Ed Apelian

post #26 of 41 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 4:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer100

James
2002 LTE Titan Silver
James, They are still in business, it took two days but I got hold of them and ordered a traveller last week.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #27 of 41 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 9:52 am

Talking

Quote:

Now you've done it. You thought you wanted a simple answer, now you have a dozen choices. BTW, this is the one you want it's 'the business'.

http://www.tourkingcovers.com/bikes.html

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #28 of 41 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Smile

Tom and Donna,
We have a brand new GEZA including the stuff sack that we would sell for $150 plus shipping. It looks and works great on the LT. Received it as a gift and we already had one.
Terry and Char
2000 Basalt KLT (and Unigo too)
post #29 of 41 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66
Tom and Donna,
We have a brand new GEZA including the stuff sack that we would sell for $150 plus shipping. It looks and works great on the LT. Received it as a gift and we already had one.
Terry and Char
2000 Basalt KLT (and Unigo too)
Terry and Char,
Throw in the shipping to Suffolk, VA (23434) and I will give you $150.
Thank you for your consideration.
post #30 of 41 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:53 pm

If you want cheap that does the job, look at these. Packs very very small with it's inlcuded pouch. I have used this for about 3 years now.

http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/...d=131&type=461

HTH,

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #31 of 41 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:07 am

I have an EZ Traveller that is 6 years old. I have covered my K12RS with it and now my K12LT. It is black and has faded some, but still does the job. Folds up small in its case, takes up little room in my side case, and keeps prying eyes and dirt off the bike in the evenings.

Jim in GA
post #32 of 41 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for all the postings.
I did not expect to recieve this many great sites to look at. I did purchase one yesterday. I hope it lives up to all the hipe. This is a great web site for everone to post what they have tryed and have not. Thanks again, and everyone please keep up the conversation. This is how we can all find things we need (and sometime just buy for no reason at all).

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #33 of 41 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 6:48 am

My Traveller fron EZ turned up in the post today, fits great and looks great....

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #34 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
I ride one of my bikes to work every day, year-round. I also cover them. In my travels, I cover them each night while on the road.

Dont' purchase a Geza. I thought that I wanted one for years. My wife purchased one for an anniversary present. Using it daily, the silicone, or teflon filler used in the material began to "flake out". Similar to dandruff falling from one's head. After only one month the Geza completely lost it's water resistance. Another problem, is that the thing soaks up about four gallons of water when it does rain. If you are on the road, you have to squeeze it out and stow it where it can dry. This make a couple of days.

I now have the Eztour, Traveller. So far, after about two years, this works fine. No concerns, other than the color fading.

Good luck.
Hi Allen,

I just came across your post and read that you had problems with the water repellency of your Geza Cover.

The LT covers are double bonded with Teflon to provide maximum water repellency without compromising breathability and towability. From your description, there seems to be a problem with the adherence of the Teflon to your cover.

Please send the cover back to us so we can evaluate the problem and correct it for you.

If you are not planning on towing your bike, we can waterproof the top of the cover for you. Towability is dependent on a percentage of fabric breathability to create a suction effect. Too much waterproofing reduces towing speeds by blocking air flow. To maintain a 85mph tow rating on the LT covers, we have to maintain an exact percentage of Teflon applied to the cover. Too much Teflon provides a higher rain repellency rating but limits tow speed ratings by decreasing the amount of air needed to pass through the cover to create a balanced air pressure effect. This is important to eliminate cover flapping.

Tell me what your needs are and we will configure your cover to best match it.

Our covers are built tough for daily real world use. In the event that a problem may arise, always contact us and let us know. We are here to make sure you are satisfied with your cover for as long as you own it which is why we offer you one of the most comprehensive warranties in the industry.

Best Regards,

John Meyer
Manager Quality Control
Geza Gear
[email protected]
703-327-9844 office
703-327-9874 fax
post #35 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
My Traveller fron EZ turned up in the post today, fits great and looks great....
I like the looks of the EZ .... just wondering what size you ordered?

Ed Apelian

post #36 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I think the proper size cover for the LT is "Behemoth." Or is that for the 1800 'Wing? I'd get the largest one they make and you should be fine.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #37 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Geza cover

If anyone has a picture of an LT with a GEZA cover, could you post it?

Thanks,

James
2002 LTE Titan Silver
post #38 of 41 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 9:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
From http://www.gezagear.com/cyclecoverfitting.htm#bmwfit:

I will say that if you hook the cover down below the saddlebags like in the picture, you will eventually stretch it out so that it gets rather thin up near the trunk. Admittedly, that is after two LTs and almost 5 years. I've been happy with my cover, but recently bought a different half cover as I wanted something waterproof and a bit smaller as swell. Trailering isn't an issue, and I'm less concerned about breathability in a half cover.

If you leave it up near the top of the saddlebags, then it fits over the radio antenna without needing to cut a hole. That also allows you to hook the two small loops over the saddlebag stops (the bolts that hold the tail light in) and effectively lock the cover to the bike. Not that I've ever had anyone try to steal it.

When you're ready to ride, fold the Geza cover approximately into thirds and stuff it between the trunk and passenger seat. Simple.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #39 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:54 pm

size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC
I like the looks of the EZ .... just wondering what size you ordered?
Dunno...... just called the guy up and told him K1200LT and the colour I wanted and it turned up in Australia about a week later....

Daz

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

post #40 of 41 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
Dunno...... just called the guy up and told him K1200LT and the colour I wanted and it turned up in Australia about a week later....
Great then I guess I will do the same .... only hope mine turns up in North Carolina .:->

Ed Apelian

post #41 of 41 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 8:19 am

Smile

Thanks Ken. I have ordered my Geza and it should be here on Tuesday. I really like the looks of the cover and Tom at Geza Covers was extremely helpful.

James
2002 LTE Titan Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in