Battery Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Battery Issue

I just had to put in a new battery and have kept it no a tender when not riding. I've been on the bike twice since installation and both times prior to taking off when I would grab the front brake lever the neutral light would dim slightly. I never noticed this with the other battery.

Is this just something that I didn't pay attention to previously and is normal or do I have a charging/battery problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:17 am

I have a 2000 model, so I don’t have power brakes. However since there has been a problem, acknowledged by BMW, of the power brake system using a lot of juice, enough to cause an ABS problem when used “excessively”, I would say it is either normal or your battery is borderline capacity. Did you get the correct amp hours / cold cranking power? Are your terminals clean and tight? Just my 2 cents.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Cool

Try fully charging the battery with a battery charger next time before a ride, I used an automatic 10 amp charger as per instructions with the new battery, after installation.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Keith,
I just replaced my battery also, the old one was about 2 years old it would charge fine however, it would not hold a charge. Be sure the new battery is not only charging but holding that charge properly.
A weak battery on the LT can cause all kinds of fluky behavior.

Tom McNulty
..sometimes you eat the bear...and sometimes, the bear eats you....

2003 Silver K1200LT---Sold
AKA "Miss Piggy"
2006 Graphit Gray R1200RT
AKA "Piglet"
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:36 pm

Battery...

This time of year many rides are of short duration. The drain on the battery with infrequent riding combined with short trips may not be charging an already undercharged battery.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 1:10 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Short in the wiring

Usually when a light goes dim there is a short of some kind. Check to make sure there are no bare wires around the battery and see it you can figure out if the brake light wiring has worn the cover off the wire. (another 2 cents)

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I will check to make sure that none of the wires are shorting, but my bigger concern is that I might have gotten an underpowered battery.

It was a pain trying to find a battery for this bike locally that wasn't a gel battery. I didn't want to buy a new battery and have to invest in a new tender at the same time. Hopefully a nice long ride will top it off if that's the only problem.

Thanks again,
Keith
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 4:31 pm

I bought a battery tender junior for about $20.

Seems to work fine.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:13 am Thread Starter

I've got two of them already, but it was my understanding that the Jrs. would not work on a gel battery, which is why I went with another lead/acid battery.

Keith
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDukes
I've got two of them already, but it was my understanding that the Jrs. would not work on a gel battery, which is why I went with another lead/acid battery.

Keith
If you get an AGM type battery (Westco or Odyssey), no real need for a tender anyway, unless you park the bike for MONTHS at a time. I have an old Odyssey I took out of my LT when it started showing slight signs of weakening, put it in my lawn tractor a couple months ago when it's battery died, and it started the tractor immediatly, even though it had not been charged in over 7MONTHS! The tractor has not been used for about 8 weeks now, tried it again last weekend just to see, and it started right up. That old Odyssey has never been on a charger.

Now that is the only type of battery I will ever buy for a motorcycle, or anything else for which they are available to fit.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Oddysey is the way to go!

I'm with David,

The Oddysey is the answer to battery problems. I've had all sorts of lousy batteries over the years, including failures in almost new conventional lead/acid units. I really believe that QA in conventional battery manufacturing is lousy. Even the Japanese can't seem to make a consistent product!

The AGM design solves a lot of problems. I put an Oddysey in Helga a year or so ago, and have NO complaints at all. I suspect the thing would power up your car or truck. It's that good.

Spring for a couple bucks extra, and solve your problems for good.

Don

Don Hutchins
Kingston, WA
'03 K12LT "Stealth Starship Helga II"
K 12 Light Trucker since 1999

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in