Tire Pressure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Tire Pressure

I'm planning a trip (solo) to AZ from CA this week. Bike will be moderately loaded. What is the recommended tire pressures (running Metzlers)?
TIA for the responses.

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:16 pm

I run 46 front, 48 rear all the time & check often. Some run 44 & 46.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Tire pressure

Well I'm no expert, but I run my back at 46/48 depending on the load and my front at 38/40. I get better life from the tires when I run them at the top of the PSI scale. There was some threads about a month and a half ago where one rider claimed that he didn't get cupping when he carried his back tire at 45/46, but did below that pressure and above that pressure. Cheers

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:53 am

There is a reason BMW reccomends 36F & 46R. I have used metzler tires in the past but got tired of the howl that starts about half way though the tires life cycle. I have found the best combo, for me, has been the avon front and the bridgestone rear, both radials tires. I run 38/40 front & 44/46 rear depending if I'm riding two up. I have tried the higher pressures and it did not improve my tire milage. The one thing that is a fact is that for every pound of pressure increased you will lose a percentage of traction. MC tires are made to run in a certain heat range for max. traction. Being most of us do not have a way of measuring the heat of a tire the next best method is to measure the pressure increase from cold to hot and see if it falls into the acceptable range. This is the 10/20 rule. From cold to hot the front should increase close to 10% and the rear 20%. If the increase is on the low side let some air out and if it is on the high side increase pressure which make your tires run cooler. One of the pluses to this method if will be tailored to each persons riding style. Faster riders or two up riders may need more pressure and slower rider may use less pressure in order to get max efficiency from your tires after all the name of the game on two wheels is traction. The BMW community in general believe higher pressure is better but that has not been my experience as we all do not ride the same. I do not believe there is a "one size fits all answer". Getting the pressure right will vary for person to person but using a method like this get you in the ball park. Check your pressure often and visually inspect your tires after each ride will help ensure a safe ride and good tire life. RIDE SAFE
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:40 pm

46f/48r

First... get and use a GOOD dial gauge..My dealer sold a very nice one. I find it's much more accurate than the pencil type.

I run Metzler's... BIAS, non-radials. I started running 42 Front as "recommended" by dealer/BMW. Within 1k miles I noticed some "cupping". I bumped it to 46F Well, it lasted to 6k. I now have 3700 miles on the new tire, running 46 from first day.. no indication of cupping. I ride qute a bit of "in town" and slow riding... which seems to reduce front tire wear... (less turning of the wheel from port to starboard and back while trying to balance. I just come to a stop.

The rear was 46 and when I noticed cupping, I immediately went to 48 and the cupping is barely noticeable after 9500 miles.

Once I bossted the air pressures, I noticed much better handling and less tire compression when crossing rough road surfaces... that's "good" for hitting bumps, "bad" if you encounter gravel and other construction area road debris... just a little.. not a big thing..

Then, check it often.. daily if possible.

HTH! Peace..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:26 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob
I'm planning a trip (solo) to AZ from CA this week. Bike will be moderately loaded. What is the recommended tire pressures (running Metzlers)?
I ran 42/47 f/r for a long time, but have reduced that to 38/44. I ran that fully loaded from San Jose to CCR in Wyoming and back with no issues. Running this pressure provides a little better traction in damp/wet conditions which I like having, especially after totalling my 02 LT in 2004 in the rain. Tire wear doesn;t seem to be noticably reduced at this point.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:59 am
Cat Herder

Garage
37f / 42r

HI Bob, I have gone around and around with this tire pressure thing. Called Metz. asked the reps and they all defer to what the manufacturer states on the bike for your tire combo. The correct tire pressure is: IT DEPENDS!!!!

I ride with 37f / 42r - solo with not much of a load because I like TRACTION in the corners and wet weather!!! (38f/ 44r with load and solo) Depending on the weather, road, temp, alt., etc. etc. - - will depend on the pressure you need to use. I got 10k out of my last set of Metz. with very little tire cupping. The tires were dry rotting faster than I could wear the rubber off of them.... enjoy your ride, stay warm!!!

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in