Rattling when cold (catalytic converter?) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Rattling when cold (catalytic converter?)

Oh boy…2002LT…when started cold it rattles (high pitched, like stones in a tin can) from the exhust area…as it heats the noise goes away (suspect catalytic comb has separated). I only started hearing this a month ago and tried to make like it wasn’t there…

Any ideas on BMW’s warranty period of the catalytic converter? I exit my normal warranty in March. I’ll be taking the bike for a final check-up in Feb, but was worried the dealer might push me off until warranty expires.

The reason the sound is familiar is that my 99 RAM is in the shop today for the same thing. Dodge gives you 8 year warranty on the CAT…wonder if that’s standard.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Federal Emissions Related Defect Warranty 5 years or 18,700 Miles

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliner2052
Federal Emissions Related Defect Warranty 5 years or 18,700 Miles
Thanks...I wonder if BMW does better then that...Guess I'll find out.
Dodge does, they even sent me a letter letting me know. I suspect it's a silent recall from dodge, rather then them being nice guys.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing


post #4 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincase
Thanks...I wonder if BMW does better then that...Guess I'll find out.
Dodge does, they even sent me a letter letting me know. I suspect it's a silent recall from dodge, rather then them being nice guys.
Justin
It's in my paperwork, 18,700mi. and you are on your own.
I hope they help you out.
Bruce C
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Justin
It's in my paperwork, 18,700mi. and you are on your own.
I hope they help you out.
Bruce C
Thanks...I was hoping BMW would do better then Dodge...

But again, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #6 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:44 am

two things

because there are no federal emissions requirements for motorcycles, the extended emissions warrantees that come with automotive applications - which are legislatively mandated -- simply do not apply. bmw has exceeded legislative requirements - your vehicle warrantee is all you have.

(i know this... my 95 ram had the same failure and i was surprised to find out that the federally mandated emmissions warrantee covered it @ 79k miles.)

the other item is that the failure you are hearing may not be the cat -- you may have broken an exhaust outlet flange -- had anyone been in that area of the bike for service like a valve inspection prior to the failure?

if you have broken a flange - the colder it is, the more slop there is as the exhaust header pipe itself bangs around in the exhaust port in the head.

(i know this too - my 99 had this failure and it sounded gawd awful -- high pitched clanging and banging on startup -- i thought it was the cat too -- bmw replaced the entire exhaust system under warrantee, but a good welder can fix this in about 10 minutes with the system off the bike)

as the bike warms, though, the thermal expansion will lessen the slop and the noise a little.

so dont assume this is a cat failure, and if you're still in warrantee, you're certainly OK. if you're out of warrantee, ask your FLD to recommend a good welder.

HTH

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s
because there are no federal emissions requirements for motorcycles, the extended emissions warrantees that come with automotive applications - which are legislatively mandated -- simply do not apply. bmw has exceeded legislative requirements - your vehicle warrantee is all you have.

(i know this... my 95 ram had the same failure and i was surprised to find out that the federally mandated emmissions warrantee covered it @ 79k miles.)

the other item is that the failure you are hearing may not be the cat -- you may have broken an exhaust outlet flange -- had anyone been in that area of the bike for service like a valve inspection prior to the failure?

if you have broken a flange - the colder it is, the more slop there is as the exhaust header pipe itself bangs around in the exhaust port in the head.

(i know this too - my 99 had this failure and it sounded gawd awful -- high pitched clanging and banging on startup -- i thought it was the cat too -- bmw replaced the entire exhaust system under warrantee, but a good welder can fix this in about 10 minutes with the system off the bike)

as the bike warms, though, the thermal expansion will lessen the slop and the noise a little.

so dont assume this is a cat failure, and if you're still in warrantee, you're certainly OK. if you're out of warrantee, ask your FLD to recommend a good welder.

HTH
I hear a strange kind of jingling sometimes too? It's from when it was new, sometimes I don't hear it, but with the squid lid I hear it most.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincase

Oh boy…2002LT…when started cold it rattles (high pitched, like stones in a tin can) from the exhust area…as it heats the noise goes away (suspect catalytic comb has separated). I only started hearing this a month ago and tried to make like it wasn’t there…

Any ideas on BMW’s warranty period of the catalytic converter? I exit my normal warranty in March. I’ll be taking the bike for a final check-up in Feb, but was worried the dealer might push me off until warranty expires.

The reason the sound is familiar is that my 99 RAM is in the shop today for the same thing. Dodge gives you 8 year warranty on the CAT…wonder if that’s standard.
Mornin' Justin - coupla notes on your 'tin can rattlin'. Do check the exhaust flange bolts to the header and make sure they're torqued properly and/or haven't broken loose (just one loose/broken one will set up a rattle). Another item to check is the spacer bumpers 'tween the chrome dress cover and the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter box. These are leetle rubber cone shaped spacers to keep the metal parts from touching and resonating. I could set up the rattle using a rubber mallet and a light tap on the chrome cover. I had earlier found the spacer rolling around on the garage floor under Cheryl's car and thought it came from the cage --- lucky me that brain cells put two and two together and found my 'tin can rattlin'' fix.

Although you may be right that your problem is in the cat. converter, it wouldn't hurt to check these two possibilities. HTH.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s

HTH
No ones working in that area, but I'll take a closer look to see if the flange is the problem.

Thanks for your help...I may have been jumping the gun on this, since I had the other problem...

I'll take another closer inspection of the area.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Thanks I'll check them tonight if I get time.

Thanks for eveyones input....That's what makes this forum so great.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #11 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:04 pm

Most dealers have extra stock exhaust systems from when they change stock exhaust systems to custom and they should exchange yours for $50.00 to $100.00 + labor. Otherwise a new exhaust system can be well over $1000.00. RIDE SAFE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in