Another Problem! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Another Problem!

I was riding the Ortega Highway last week with my '00 LT with 47K and the blasted muffler became seperated from the cat. Is this normal? BMW says you have to buy a complete exhaust at $1311 for parts. I know there are aftermarket ones for about $800. My thoughts are how many more of these type of things am I going to have to pay for as I get a few more miles... should I just trade it in and buy a new bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:50 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Take it to a welder. Less than $50 to weld it. You will also need 4 new gaskets for the header pipes. They are about $1.80 a piece.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Rare but happens. Easily welded back together.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:53 pm

I know that several have successfully welded the muffler to fix this problem. Others have replaced it with a Remus. If neither of these sound tempting I'll send you my old exhaust for shipping and a donation.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Rare but happens

Wow, it is cool that it can be rewelded but is this just the first thing to go bad wrong or just a casual it happens....
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitvipersnake
Wow, it is cool that it can be rewelded but is this just the first thing to go bad wrong or just a casual it happens....
No, this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg...!
Next your frame will bend, and your wheels turn into big expensive ovals...
Then your wife will leave you because you spend more at the BMW shop than you would shopping for her... Poor soul you!!!
Fortunately before all these dreadful things happen you came to this site where our trained technicians will dispense all the necessary advice for free. The classified ads will draw you to purchase the right gear from other members who upgraded to something even "more better" (like a 7-pack of beer).
Life will be good again, your wife will look better wearing the right protective gear, and your wallet will only be used to buy the "necessary" farkles for your mount (I am talking about your bike here...! ).
You are one lucky man, you picked the LT, now make sure to keep it...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Quote:
I was riding the Ortega Highway last week with my '00 LT with 47K and the blasted muffler became seperated from the cat. Is this normal? BMW says you have to buy a complete exhaust at $1311 for parts. I know there are aftermarket ones for about $800. My thoughts are how many more of these type of things am I going to have to pay for as I get a few more miles... should I just trade it in and buy a new bike?

As others have said, EASY reweld (after removal of course, the hardest part is getting the O2 sensor unplugged and screwed out). I welded mine myself, as I had access to a TIG welder. The re-weld was much better than factory, if I do say so myself.

It is stainless steel, and welds very nicely. Any good TIG welder can do it, should not cost much if you find a good shop.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Fixed!

Well I took all of your advice and tried to have it welded, but I went one better, I left it on the bike took the chrome strip and passenger footrest off, took it down and had it welded. Worst thing was putting the pretty little chrome strip back on.
Total cost $45 weld, $10 tip for getting to it so fast and still on the bike.
Thanks again guys, now I hope the rearend doesnt decide to give out next, as I dont think that will be so easy!
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:41 pm

The bright side...

Quote:
...now I hope the rearend doesnt decide to give out next, as I dont think that will be so easy!
Actually...the job isn't that much harder. It just costs more.
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Well I took all of your advice and tried to have it welded, but I went one better, I left it on the bike took the chrome strip and passenger footrest off, took it down and had it welded. Worst thing was putting the pretty little chrome strip back on.
Total cost $45 weld, $10 tip for getting to it so fast and still on the bike.
Thanks again guys, now I hope the rearend doesnt decide to give out next, as I dont think that will be so easy!
Just a word of caution about doing any welding on the bike or anything else that has a ton of electronics on it , disconnect the battery ...both sides at the very least, wouldn't hurt to unplug the Motronic brain ether.
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Actually...the job isn't that much harder. It just costs more.
That is absolutely correct! It is WAY to easy to fry electronics on a vehicle by welding on it! I you watched the "Long Way Round" series, you see just that. Welding on the GS frame fried electronics.

I would not recommend any welding on a modern motorcycle, unless ALL electronic modules were completely disconnected, even then if the welding is close enough to a module to create strong enough EMF fields, electronics can be damaged.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:05 pm

I got a stock muffler I will give ya. Pay the shipping and feed me and it is yours.
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Heck, less than 500.00 you could have your own tig welder....and fix your bike yourself and have a new welder to boot....Actually Harbor Freight has them for 199.00
( you'd still need to get the gas setup...)

That's what I'd do........Any excuse to buy a new tool !!!!

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in