How to get the passenger on the seat? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:36 am Thread Starter

How to get the passenger on the seat?

Here is a question for all of you K1200LT experts!
Considering the size of the beast what is the best way to get a passenger without having the pilot sweat like hell?
Wait wait wait, don't take the easy situation:
  • light, petite figure wife/gf/bf
  • flat ground
  • no gravels under your soles
  • nice tempered waether!
That is too easy!
Take the real life situation! I mean that K1200LT is a tourer for you and your favourite passenger:
  • loaded up to the top case
  • sunny day in southern europe
  • you AND the passenger are sweating in the leather (important it means it is sticky and goes against ample and easy movements )
  • the road is slightly downwards
  • there are plenty of little nasty gravels under your feet!

I would like to collect your comments and have a note/article in my blog on that topic as I often experience hairy (even though I am missing some) moments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Here is the note link to comment if you want to

Ok I just created the note to which I will add your comments, but you can post them too at:
NOTE
post #3 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:56 am

First and foremost... good boots with a lot of grip (lug soles)

Set your footing, check by applying outward pressure. (standing astride the bike)

Get a good grip on the bars and squeeze that front brake.

Look straight ahead.

Give her the okay to climb aboard.

Take the weight on one leg than the other.

It really helps if the passenger has experience and ability. They need to be able to mount quickly and smoothly... keeping their weight over the bike not to the side and mount in a smooth action, not hopping on the peg or grabbing your shoulder to pull up.

First and foremost... good boots with a lot of grip (lug soles)

Set your footing, check by applying outward pressure.

Get a good grip on the bars and squeeze that front brake.

Look straight ahead.

Give her the okay to climb aboard.

Take the weight on one leg than the other.

It really helps if the passenger has experience and ability. They need to be able to mount quickly and smoothly... keeping their weight over the bike not to the side and mount in a smooth action, not hopping on the peg or grabbing your shoulder to pull up.

Wife and I have had the LT on all kinds of surfaces, hills - sand volcanic dust gravel (I have a gravel drive and parking area that are not level) even an occasional icy parking lot, and on the odd occasion if Im not comfy I move to a better location before she boards.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

Last edited by Bayliner2052; Jan 17th, 2006 at 4:31 pm.

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Rider Journeyman

two methods

Method 1
Conditions: Terrain good to fair.
Bike on center stand.
Pillion mounts using driver's pegs and holding left handlebar grip.
Driver stands next to bike as "spotter".
When pillion seated and comfortable (assist with plug in items, comm, heater, etc.).
Driver steps on pegs on peg and mounts.
Start bike
Put in first gear.
Look down on both right and left side to confirm terrain and check for any "issues".
Get tap on should from pillion that they are good to go.
Rock forward off center stand.
Immediately apply front handbrake and stabilize.
If all is good, take off.

Method 2
Conditions: Terrain poor to very poor.
Bike on center stand.
Driver steps on pegs on peg and mounts.
Start bike
Put in first gear.
Look down on both right and left side to confirm terrain and check for any "issues".
Rock forward off center stand.
Immediately apply front handbrake and stabilize.
Pillion mounts using pillion pegs and holding left shoulder of driver.
When pillion seated, plugged in and comfortable.
Get tap on should from pillion that they are good to go.
If all is good, take off.

There are a couple of exceptions.
-If I have parked with the bike pointed fairly substantially uphill, I use method 2, but for the "rock off center stand will have the pillion give push on the top case.
-If we've used Method 1 and find it's just a bit too steep to rock off, I will stand up and make sure the bike is tilted back onto the rear wheel. Feathering the clutch just a bit and the bike will advance off the center stand.
-If the bike starts on the side stand, then use method 2.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #5 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:58 pm

Bayliner2052 has great advice.

When stopping look ahead and stop on "safe ground" if possible even if it's 100 yards from the group - I've done this many times, one of the first times I did this I watched 3 other bikes fall over.

Use the center stand until the passenger is on if possible.

I signal to Kaye that I am ready and she pats me on the shoulder when she is getting on or off. Never a problem. Kaye is a great passenger and knows not to go shifting her weight around without giving me a signal and waiting for a nod back from me.

Explain the rules to anyone you give a ride to and if they don't follow them cut the ride short and no more rides.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #6 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 4:22 pm

I prefer to stand up with the bike balanced, a nod of my head and the passenger mounts using the left footpeg, a tap on the shoulder is my signal that she is ready to motor.
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 4:25 pm

i always stay in hotels with balconies ...
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Also, tell your passenger to stand as close to the bike as they can and keep their feet as close to the bike as possible when stepping on the pegs. Explain that they should keep their weight as close to the center of the bike as soon and quickly as they can when getting on. And if you are nervous about it, remind them every time.
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:07 pm

drive off

The passenger gets on first with centerstand down
I get on
make sure she is ready
put in gear
wheel straight
in gear
just drive off
No rocking no fuss.
Works every time except in HEAVY gravel

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #10 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:34 pm

nothing wrong with riding the bike 10 or 20 ft down the road to find a better spot to mount/dismount.

post #11 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:41 pm

I always wondered if that would be a good plan to just drive forward off the centerstand....

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
nothing wrong with riding the bike 10 or 20 ft down the road to find a better spot to mount/dismount.

yup. if it is hilly or there is gravel i would ride solo to a more secure locale, if possible.
post #13 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 5:14 am

My suggestion is if you cant ride to a suitable close location for better grounding, then try and get the bike in to a part of the road using the reverser/whetever to get the bike on as level ground as possible.

if need be, get off the bike if there is gravel where you boots are going to be and try and scuff the ground with the soles of your boots and get as much of it out of the way to get better grip when you do sit on the bike.
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 8:03 am

Gerhard, you must have the rear suspension cranked up tight!

Bob

Bob Brown
05 Gold
post #15 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:17 am

I think Dan brings up a key point. Parking, mount/dismount,U-turn.. If it doesn't look or feel right don't do it, look for a better location regardless of your experience or capability level. It isn't worth putting your passenger, yourself or bike in jeopardy...

Rich in Florida
post #16 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:43 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well now after reading all these posts I feel like the odd man out. Jean and I have used the same technique since 1975. I get on first, bike started. Hold brakes, put down SIDE stand but hold the bike at angle (no load on the stand, just a stopper for the angle) she mounts only when I give her the head nod. I guess it just works for us.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA50Flyr
Gerhard, you must have the rear suspension cranked up tight!

Bob
always! otherwise there is zero cornering clearance.
post #18 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:57 am

Smile Passenger Mounting tips

My wife and I have ridden our various bikes a lot of miles... probably over 100K and bikes have never gone down in the process of her getting on... including LT.

I always have her mount from the left side, after I am on the bike and have a firm footing.
I have the sidestand extended as a backup in case the bike wants to lay down (bike in 1st gear).
She mounts while extending her head and upper body over the bike and left hand on my shoulder just for some stability confidence. One smooth move up and into the pillion.
As I feel her start to mount, I just automatically apply additional pressure on the handle bars (up on left, down on right) to keep the bike centered, so it never gets the chance to get far enough that it of over-balanced to the left.
When seated and centered, I pull in the sidestand and start the engine and off we go.

By the way, if the terrain, footing etc doesn't feel good to me, I will move forward to a better spot before letting passenger on.

I'm sure this isn't right for everyone, but it seems to work for us and I really don't think it is any more difficult on the LT than on our first Honda CB500 fully dressed.

Hope this helps.

John Robinson
Shawnee, KS
2003 K1200 LTE
post #19 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:16 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderup1
I always wondered if that would be a good plan to just drive forward off the centerstand....
If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

If it has tits or wheels it's gonna give you problems.

Pete aka Murray
post #20 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 1:11 pm

My wife used to do a little jump when she got on the back - that was NOT a good thing! I agree with the rest of the posts, both feet down, front brake on, give her the go ahead to board by putting her left foot on the peg raising up and climbing on.
post #21 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Well now after reading all these posts I feel like the odd man out. Jean and I have used the same technique since 1975. I get on first, bike started. Hold brakes, put down SIDE stand but hold the bike at angle (no load on the stand, just a stopper for the angle) she mounts only when I give her the head nod. I guess it just works for us.

Your not alone, my wife and I do it the same way. I didn't know you can drive these things off the center stand though. That could be interesting.
post #22 of 25 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Great input from all of you!
I will compile all those and have a comment posted on my blog!
But I noticed that a lot of you try to avoid the pain and move a few feet away from the trouble (no not the wife/husband: the gravel )!
I know some places you can't ...or have to ride a lot of kilometers before

Anyway I think that the cost and weight factor (no not the wife/husband again) of the bike are a huge motivation to keep it up!

Have fun and drive safely!
post #23 of 25 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Passenger? we don need no stinkin passenger.....

Errr, don't let the wife see this, k guys???
post #24 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatime
I prefer to stand up with the bike balanced, a nod of my head and the passenger mounts using the left footpeg, a tap on the shoulder is my signal that she is ready to motor.
I agree. I always stand up, straddling the bike with the front brake applied. I don't like sitting when someone's getting off or on. If you're sitting and they are holding on to you and they slip or push you the wrong way you will tilt the beast and then you will find yourself fighting your weiight, the passengers weight, and 800 lbs of bike.

Lee
post #25 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:01 am

I put the wife on te bike using the center stand. Then we rock forward gently and get going. I engage the center stand when we are ready to de-bike. Of course, that's why I have an electric/hydraulic center stand. I never have to fight these kinds of situations.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in