BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Fix or replace my '01 LT? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/44477-fix-replace-my-01-lt.html)

FridayBob Feb 17th, 2009 1:30 pm

Fix or replace my '01 LT?

Elvira has about 110,000 on her buxom chassis. The ABS-II pump failed last year. I've been riding her w/o ABS but locked up the brakes during the freeway rush hour in Montreal last summer. MAJOR sphincter cramps there...

So now I'm looking at a $3,000 bill to remove and replace the unit (price for just a new pump is $2,268), plus it needs a $100 oil change(!), plus another $317 to replace, mount, balance and dispose of two tires.

I already replaced the rear drive during the ride to CCR '05 (Grand Tetons).

I freakin' LOVE the handlebar time on my LT, but it's getting harder to justify. What to do, what to do?

FridayBob Feb 17th, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Fix or replace my '01 LT?

Other factors: clutch doesn't feel as robust as it used to, but it never did feel exceptionally strong.
My shift linkage hasn't failed...yet.
My trunk latch hasn't failed...yet.
Replaced front suspension with Ohlins last year but it still feels funny and tends go into tank-slap mode at the slightest provocation. Rear shock is also an Ohlins.
Engine appears to be in great condition: starts easy, no funny noises, valves always adjusted properly.

davidpweis Feb 17th, 2009 2:15 pm

LOL ; your asking us for permission to go spend 22K? :rotf:

Go for it, the economy needs you !!!!

D :dance:

Bob204bc Feb 17th, 2009 3:01 pm

The repairs add up to a bunch of money at 110,000 miles. The tank slapping concerns me. Maybe steering head bearings? Steering damper?

The basic bike is solid and will last many miles. The question is: if you make the repairs will you keep the bike?

Are you jonesing for a new bike?

CharlieVT Feb 17th, 2009 4:15 pm

Easy answer.
If you want to do the work yourself, keep the bike.
If your are not inclined to shop for a used ABS unit, and do the other stuff, sell it or trade it and get a new one.

If money is no object, and you have deep pockets, buy a new one.
If money is a little more dear, keep the bike and fix it yourself.

If your pockets aren't too deep, and you're not inclined to do the work yourself, I'd get a new one. Paying BMW service to make the repairs will prove to be a false economy IMO.

Have fun shopping! :)

Lee510 Feb 17th, 2009 6:01 pm

This thread has my experiences with a rebuilder in Rogersville, TN. See posts #s 7 & 8. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ck+electronics

Also here. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ck+electronics

$589 for the repair, plus they replaced other parts that hadn't failed, but are known to. Getting the unit out and back in are a pain, but doable. Take your time. Get a short stool. You'll be by "her" side for a while during the process.

wacolt Feb 17th, 2009 8:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FridayBob
Elvira has about 110,000 on her buxom chassis. The ABS-II pump failed last year. I've been riding her w/o ABS but locked up the brakes during the freeway rush hour in Montreal last summer. MAJOR sphincter cramps there...

So now I'm looking at a $3,000 bill to remove and replace the unit (price for just a new pump is $2,268), plus it needs a $100 oil change(!), plus another $317 to replace, mount, balance and dispose of two tires.

I already replaced the rear drive during the ride to CCR '05 (Grand Tetons).

I freakin' LOVE the handlebar time on my LT, but it's getting harder to justify. What to do, what to do?

Better sell it. Send $500 to my paypal account to cover travel expenses (PM me for the account name), and another $500 to haul it off for you. I'm saving you over $2,400. ;)

110k is a lot of miles for a bike, but consider the $22k price tag. Beemerboneyard has got to be less than $22k for an "overhaul."

Yamadog Feb 17th, 2009 9:43 pm

Maybe The LT is thinking the same about you...you getting long in the tooth or do you have a few miles left in ya? :histerica

Palerider Feb 17th, 2009 10:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamadog
Maybe The LT is thinking the same about you...you getting long in the tooth or do you have a few miles left in ya? :histerica

x2 :histerica

meese Feb 18th, 2009 12:58 am

Hey Bob, good to hear from you. :wave

I'm more the fix-it-myself type, but even then you have to have the tools, time, space, and experience to do the work.

I'm assuming a new bike and payments are out of the picture, so you have two basic options.

Option 1 is to find a good local mechanic, get your ABS pump rebuilt as mentioned above, order tires online, and cut your repair costs in half.

An LT with 100K still has a lot of good miles in her, but problems with clutches, slave cylinders, and leaky engine/transmission seals do become a bit more of a concern.

Option 2 is to look for a good, used LT with a lot less miles on it, put the money into that instead, and get a "refresh" of a bike that you already love.

Our own Classifieds - Motorcycles forum has several LT's available at various prices and mileages, ranging from $6K - $16K, and from 8K - 60K miles.

You could go with a '99-'01 that has the older ABS, an '02-'04 that has the power brakes, or an '05-up that has more power and the electric center stand. Any one of those would be a great option.

But just in case you can't find another black one, I'd go with an '99-'04 model, so you can just swap over your existing body panels. I mean, who ever heard of a Light Yellow Metallic BatByke? :rotf:

Yamadog Feb 18th, 2009 6:35 am

Ken is right,(sorry Ken) Once you begin doing the deeper jobs on the LT you get a better understanding of Her road-worthiness anyway. All the money you save can go towards a good lift and any necessary tools which will pay you back many times over. If you want a new bike get one but keep the LT. A good woman is hard to find. :D

FridayBob Feb 18th, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to do the work myself in my garage. And it's a great excuse to get that Direct Lift Pro Cycle lift that I've been wanting for a few years. Anybody out there want to sell theirs?
I'll keep looking for a rebuilt ABS-II, and re-read how to mount and balance the tires.
I know that whatever I want or need to do in the future, I'll find the procedure and the encouragement to do it here on the site.

BennyBob Feb 19th, 2009 1:57 pm

Bob, not sure how many forum members in your neck of the woods but sounds like a perfect reason for a tech session. You'll get a lot of qualified labor, good fellowship and above the parts costs (beemerboneyard), a bit of BBQ or a potluck is all it'll cost.