CCR via Canada Routing Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Talking CCR via Canada Routing Help

Im looking for routing suggestions to this years CCR. Were planning to ride the CA, OR & WA coast. The catch a ferry to Vancouver Island spend a night near Nanaimo then catch another ferry to Vancouver for day. From there we would like a scenic ride through BC and AB eventually dropping down into MT and Glacier NP. From Glacier NP well head towards the Black Hills and CCR. Any help with routes, places to stay in Canada and Montana and any must sees will be sincerely appreciated. I would also like to know the best ferries to catch for this route. We're planning a week long ride to get to CCR, my bride's suggestion. This will be her longest bike trip and I need to do some tourism stuff to keep her happy. I'm content with the ride and scenery. Thanks for the help.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Re: CCR via Canada Routing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Im looking for routing suggestions to this years CCR. Were planning to ride the CA, OR & WA coast. The catch a ferry to Vancouver Island spend a night near Nanaimo then catch another ferry to Vancouver for day. From there we would like a scenic ride through BC and AB eventually dropping down into MT and Glacier NP. From Glacier NP well head towards the Black Hills and CCR. Any help with routes, places to stay in Canada and Montana and any must sees will be sincerely appreciated. I would also like to know the best ferries to catch for this route. We're planning a week long ride to get to CCR, my bride's suggestion. This will be her longest bike trip and I need to do some tourism stuff to keep her happy. I'm content with the ride and scenery. Thanks for the help.
Doug, let's talk! I like your idea a lot... When would you leave?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 9:06 pm

On the Canada leg I would suggest taking the ferry across to Powell River on the Sunshine coast and then head south into Vancouver. You will have two more short ferry rides on this route. If you really need to go to Vancouver then stay somewhere convenient to ride back out through Whistler and follow highway 99 through Pemberton and up to Lilloet. From there you have multiple options to explore up to Jasper and go south on the Columbia Icefields Drive. Alternatively you could go south from Lilloet and work your way over to some of the great routes in southeast BC. They are all good and some are great. Once you get to Banff go east to Kananaskis and then follow 22X south to Waterton National Park (unfortunately the old lodge just burned down) and the Going to the Sun Highway to Glacier, Beartooth Pass to Yellowstone and then through Cody, WY into the Black Hills.

This route is guranteed to supply you with a serious case of scenic mountain syndrome and your tires will be well rounded. I've done all of these roads and if you want to check any specific things out in the area I'll try to help. Just send me a note.

Yiet
2007 R1200GSA

Last edited by Yiet; Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:11 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 1:23 pm

A great resource for information on routes in BC for bikes is:

http://www.destinationhighways.com/default.htm
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Doug

I can also provide you with some further route information through BC/Alberta and Montana. As Yiet mentioned Highway 99 through Pemberton/Lilloet is fantastic as well as doing Southeast BC. There is a number of routes depending on how much time you have to spend. From Lilloet you can take highway #99 until you hit #97/#1 east through Kamloops/Vernon. From there take the #6 east to Needles/Fauquier (you cross the lake on a small ferry), up to Nakusp which is a great little town to stay in. From there you can drop down to the Crowsnest Highway #3 and make your way to Cranbrook pickup # 93 to the Canadian/US border crossing of Roosville to Glacier National Park, #2, than the Road to the Sun. from West Glacier entrance. From there we usually take #89/87 to Lewiston/Roundup and end up at a B&B in a small town called Colstrip MT. From there you can go through Custer National Forest down into Rapid City.
If you need further details or options you can e-mail me.

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
[email protected]

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrasr
Doug

I can also provide you with some further route information through BC/Alberta and Montana. As Yiet mentioned Highway 99 through Pemberton/Lilloet is fantastic as well as doing Southeast BC. There is a number of routes depending on how much time you have to spend. From Lilloet you can take highway #99 until you hit #97/#1 east through Kamloops/Vernon. From there take the #6 east to Needles/Fauquier (you cross the lake on a small ferry), up to Nakusp which is a great little town to stay in. From there you can drop down to the Crowsnest Highway #3 and make your way to Cranbrook pickup # 93 to the Canadian/US border crossing of Roosville to Glacier National Park, #2, than the Road to the Sun. from West Glacier entrance. From there we usually take #89/87 to Lewiston/Roundup and end up at a B&B in a small town called Colstrip MT. From there you can go through Custer National Forest down into Rapid City.
If you need further details or options you can e-mail me.

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
[email protected]

2nd this route, some 1st rate riding in the B.C. part. If you are into camping check out "Toad Rock " motorcycle campground near Kaslo, some great people.
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 27th, 2009, 3:09 pm

I live on Vancouver Island just North of Nanaimo. My suggestion would be to take the Ferry from the mainland, either the Tsawwassen to Duke Point (about 2hr ride) or the Horseshoebay to Departure Bay (about 1hr 40mins ride). Both will land you in Nanaimo. From Nanaimo head North to Parksville (abot 30-45mins from Nanaimo). You will be on Hwy 19. Take the Parsville exit and and head towards the water. You will end up on Hwy 19A. This is a very scenic ride along the Ocean. I would suggest because of ferry scheduling that you stop for the night in Qualicum Beach. Next day continue on 19A towards Courtney/Comox. Take the Comox to Powell River Ferry (1hr 20min ride). Once in Powell River, head south on Hwy 101 to Saltery Bay. Take the Saltery Bay to Earls Cove Ferry (About 50mins). Countinue South on Hwy 101 to Langdale. Once in Langdale your last ferry will be to Horseshoe Bay (40 mins)

This is a spectacular ride. I know that there is alot of travel by ferry, but even the ride on them has fantastic views. Like I said, it is a 2 day trip because of the ferry scheduling. Here is a link for the BC Ferry website to access the departure times. Travel on the ferry's is very smooth. You dont have to try your bike down. I have traveled on them hundreds of times and have never had a problem

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/

Go to google maps and you will get a good idea of the ride. I don't know what your schedule allows you for time, but I would really try to make it a little longer than 2 days on Vancouver Island. The riding is great, and there is so much to see.

If you have any questions or if I can be of more help, just let me know

Cheers

Ed Bruce
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 27th, 2009, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Great suggestions guys - thanks. We'll contact you later for more details.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in