Ship cross country or haul on trailer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Ship cross country or haul on trailer?

Given the choice, would you ship your LT from California to NYC, or would you haul it on a trailer? Riding it is not an option, as it will be in March and I have two dogs I am driving.

Raymond

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Re: Ship cross country or haul on trailer?

I had a friend who checked into something like this. If you have the means to pull a trailer, I would go that route. Having a bike shipped comercially is very expensive.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 3:48 pm

If you are driving anyway, I would trailer. There is not much to it and shipping may be cost prohibitive.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Talking Re: Ship cross country or haul on trailer?

Or... find a member of this forum who could ride the bike for you in exchange of gas/food/lodging and a plane ticket back to California...

I am sure someone out there might be interested.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 4:27 pm

What is the tow vehicle ??????
post #6 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check with Meese - He's the only guy know who will ride a thousand miles just to meet some fellow riders for lunch. He could pronably do the trip in 36 hours. Of course he would have to configure the bike with extra fuel tanks, multiple GPS and tunes. That way he would only have to stop for gas every 500 miles.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #7 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Teach the dog to drive, you ride bike.

Do I always have to point out the obvious?

PS Do not teach the dog to ride the bike. You will never see the dog or the bike again.

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #8 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Or... find a member of this forum who could ride the bike for you in exchange of gas/food/lodging and a plane ticket back to California...

I am sure someone out there might be interested.

If the weather permitted, I would ride it and my wife would drive, March is not the month to be crossing the Sierra's or the Rockies on a mc. I know, you can go south, but that still does not get you out of the weather back east, which can still be VERY bad the end of March.

Am going to ship with Keyboard Motorcycle Shippers as suggested by Raffy and a couple of others. Door to Door is only $800; not even worth it considering the whole move is costing close to $10k!!!!

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #9 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 6:02 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Ray, Having the LT transported will cost you about $750. This company has a good reputation among the folks on this board. A & S uses them for their out of state deliveries.

http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

Maybe you could find a used bike (Kendon?) trailer for that much then sell it after you arrive in NY?

Hal

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #10 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LodiHal
Ray, Having the LT transported will cost you about $750. This company has a good reputation among the folks on this board. A & S uses them for their out of state deliveries.

http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

Maybe you could find a used bike (Kendon?) trailer for that much then sell it after you arrive in NY?

Hal
Hal:
Thanks, that's the company Raffy suggested. Price has gone up to $800. I would look for a trailer, but I would have to buy a hitch first. Plus, I expect bad weather in the Sierras and east of SLC; really don't want to pull a trailer in the snow if I don't have too.

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #11 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 6:58 pm

If you do not have a trailer and are not already experienced in towing a trailer you should definately ship it. I often pull a 25 foot enclosed trailer with my son's track bike and all of his race equipment as well as another bike or two to ride around in the vicinity of the track. Towing requires experience, reduces gas mileage, reduces your speed of travel and that is not even considering the money spent to equip the pickup (a 2500 Silverado Durmax) with towing mirrors, oil cooler, trailer brakes, etc. So if you are not already set up for towing a trailer (and I assume if you were you would not have posted the thread in the first place) ship it. $800 will seem cheap.
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
If you do not have a trailer and are not already experienced in towing a trailer you should definately ship it. I often pull a 25 foot enclosed trailer with my son's track bike and all of his race equipment as well as another bike or two to ride around in the vicinity of the track. Towing requires experience, reduces gas mileage, reduces your speed of travel and that is not even considering the money spent to equip the pickup (a 2500 Silverado Durmax) with towing mirrors, oil cooler, trailer brakes, etc. So if you are not already set up for towing a trailer (and I assume if you were you would not have posted the thread in the first place) ship it. $800 will seem cheap.
SUV has tow pkg; only need hitch installed ($200). I am experienced, that is why I am going to ship. I am already going to have to be watching two dogs; don't need to add the bike to the mix! Plus, if I bought a trailer, I would have to sell it once I get to NYC, as my garage is only large enough for my bike. Would probably rent, but why bother!!

Raymond Dell'Olio
Bronx, NY
718-530-5793
2000 K1200LT (Sold)

"A nation of sheep,
Owned by pigs,
Ruled by wolves."

post #13 of 18 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Yes, what is the tow vehicle ?? brought mine to Texas from Sacramento in a Budget rental truck. Build a cradle for it with 2 x 4 & 6. tie downs on front wheel and back wheel. four days on the road and it only leaned a little, one of the tie downs slipped. No real problems. March IS NOT the month to ride a MC x country. Drive carefully.

Good Luck.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #14 of 18 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 11:50 am

...alternative is to load the LT in the back of the Budget Truck and tow your SUV.

When I last moved, I loaded my LT in the back of the truck and hitched a trailer to the truck to bring (trailer) my other bike. It might be expensive though.

If shipping is only cost you $800, I would go ship it. If it wasn't March, I'll ride it for ya!

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Two options to think about. First, get a quote from www.funtransport.com (Federal Companies). I used them about 8 years ago to ship my bike to Glacier Nat. Park from SoCal. They did a great job. The other option would be to rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer. It is great for loading/unloading your bike and you can easily pull it at 65 mph all day long. Have a safe trip.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750
post #16 of 18 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Two options to think about. First, get a quote from www.funtransport.com (Federal Companies). I used them about 8 years ago to ship my bike to Glacier Nat. Park from SoCal. They did a great job. The other option would be to rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer. It is great for loading/unloading your bike and you can easily pull it safely at 65 mph all day long.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Take some digital photos to document the condition of the cycle and then ship it. The shipping companies are insured. If you do wind up towing it make sure you talk to your insurance agent about trailer and contents insurance. Otherwise you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise if something goes wrong.

post #18 of 18 Old Feb 17th, 2009, 2:19 pm

As you know, you have to determine whats best for yourself, and it sounds like you made the right decision...

If you have the money, have it shipped. Little more money, but much lower hastle quotent.

Just read up on all the safeguards when having your vehicle transported, including insurance and BBB searches on the transporter.

D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in