I am Afraid I Have to Sell Her - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:09 am Thread Starter

I am Afraid I Have to Sell Her

Well all, it has been fun. Unfortunately I just found out my wife is very sick. To compound the situation I am working about 1000 miles away in another state. As a result, I do not have the time nor the energy to deal with the bike right now. Instead of watching her sit I would prefer to sell her to someone who will ride her.

The problem is I have no idea how to price the bike. It is a 2005 LT with 18k miles on it. It has the luggage rack and all four beemer bags. It also has the CD Changer if that matters.

I look around here, but I could not find too many comparables. Flea Bay was a joke and really no help. I was thinking of pricing her at 10,999. Does that seem fair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:13 am

Re: I am Afraid I Have to Sell Her

Seems fair if not a little on the low ball side. I know how depressed eastern Colorado can be............rode out a couple of good recessions there myself.........I pray your wife will be ok..............Up this way?; don't be afraid to look us up..................

Jim
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:49 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Tom here is what Kelly Blue Book and NADA show for prices. KBB seems to be a lot higher value then NADA!!

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:12 pm

I am sorry to hear the bad news.About selling your LT,I think this is the worst time to sell anything.It is really unlikely that you will get the real value for it,being off season and having this worsening economy.You should wait a few months,at least untill May to put it on the market.Good luck!
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:35 pm

I think your on the low end of the spectrum, just purchased 05 LT with 30k for 10k. seeing that your milage is allot lower you could ask at least 13.5k, but consult Nada to give a better ball park.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your wife!
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I think you are about right on price if you want to sell quickly. 2005s are out of warranty and it is still winter and recession economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
Well all, it has been fun. Unfortunately I just found out my wife is very sick. To compound the situation I am working about 1000 miles away in another state. As a result, I do not have the time nor the energy to deal with the bike right now. Instead of watching her sit I would prefer to sell her to someone who will ride her.

The problem is I have no idea how to price the bike. It is a 2005 LT with 18k miles on it. It has the luggage rack and all four beemer bags. It also has the CD Changer if that matters.

I look around here, but I could not find too many comparables. Flea Bay was a joke and really no help. I was thinking of pricing her at 10,999. Does that seem fair?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

I think I am likely to wait until April/May to put it on the market. It makes more sense and I am selling purely because it is a PITA to deal with while I have a sick wife, extensive travel, and three homes to maintain (don't ask how that happened....).

Do you think Flea Bay is the best approach? Or should I just list it here and see what happens?
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Red face Re: I am Afraid I Have to Sell Her

Quote:
I think I am likely to wait until April/May to put it on the market. It makes more sense and I am selling purely because it is a PITA to deal with while I have a sick wife, extensive travel, and three homes to maintain (don't ask how that happened....).

Do you think Flea Bay is the best approach? Or should I just list it here and see what happens?
I think you are not asking enough for the 2005 LT. I recently purchased a 2005 LT with about 19k on it and the pricing was 14,000 and I was pleased to get it at that price. I have seen some on flebay selling for 13.5 to 15.5 for 2005 LT's.

I tried flebay for my 93 1100 LT last month, and got some replys ( and stupid questions) but the LT's seem to sell well.

Good luckj to you and your wife, my prayers are with you both.

Regards,
Bowdon.
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Quote:

Sorry to hear of your recent turn of events. I wish the best for you and your wife.

When you're ready to sell, Craig's List(craigslist.com) provides free ad space. Up to 4 pictures included. No fee to sell or buy. I sold my son's Power Wheels car he outgrew and dirt bike he never liked or rode, shortly before Christmas.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 6:12 pm

If its clean looking it will sell between 13k and 14k..... Be patient and a buyer will show up............Pete

Prayers for your wife.........
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Sorry to hear of your recent turn of events. I wish the best for you and your wife.

When you're ready to sell, Craig's List(craigslist.com) provides free ad space. Up to 4 pictures included. No fee to sell or buy. I sold my son's Power Wheels car he outgrew and dirt bike he never liked or rode, shortly before Christmas.
2nd thumbs up for Craig's List. I sold my Suzuki on there to a local guy who showed up with cash. Just use your head is all as you'll get emails from some real nuts.

Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery too.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 9:14 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Sorry to hear of your situation.

I recently sold a GS and had the best response from the IBMW site.

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/

Of course list it here, also. I would use E-bay and Craigs list as a last resort. Doesn't sound like you need any more stress at this time.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:18 pm

13 - 14 is what I paid for about the same milage 3 years ago. Your price would unload it quickly hopefully. If you aren't in as big a hurry, you should be able to get a little more for it. I hope that your wife has a full recovery and that you land on your feet in your job situation.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would suggest Craig's List and the BMWMOA magazine. My prayers to your wife for healing and to you for all the stress in your life right now.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 1:42 am

I'd definitely try craigs list in the Denver site. You can search BMW in Motorcycles, and see what ads are there. I agree with the other posters here that your price should be higher. I don't think you'll get any or many crank calls on CL.

Best wishes to you and your wife on her recovery. As a team you have a better than average chance!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 7:12 am

Quote:

well this may help or not, but I sold my '02 for 6k with 154k on it to the first person first day it was listed.

11k for your 05 should get a quick sale I'd think, in fact I came >< close to calling you myself, I really MISS my LT!, (there are now three bikes in my life I should had never sold the LT is one of them)

we wil keep good thoughts for your wife
Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 7:13 am

Quote:

Here or cragslist......

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: I am Afraid I Have to Sell Her

The insurance company allowed me $11,500 for my burned '05 with 79,000 on it. I bought an '08 with 8,100 miles for $16,500 and unlimited warranty to 2012.
I sure do miss the Light Metallic Gold er Gold color.
Personally I would not be very excited about the low miles if I was looking to buy it.
Just my $.02

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 20th, 2009, 9:15 am

Bought my '05 LT July '08 with 17k miles for 12k. Warranty was in till Sept. Loan value at that time was $13,300, according to bank. Good luck to you and wife.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in