Topping Up Gas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Topping Up Gas

Hi everybody,
I bought a used 06 LT about a month ago. Only put about 400 miles on it so far due to the snow so I'm still quite new to it.

I've noticed when I fill it up the black bar on the gas meter goes up to about 7/8 full, never to the top. I've been filling it on the center stand and trying to top up to about 2" from the top. Do I need to fill it on the side stand to get it to register FULL?

Thanks in advance

- Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:08 pm

Re: Topping Up Gas

Yes, an LT should be on the side stand, and even then its hard to get it to register all the way full. Sometimes I get it just right but be careful not to over fill.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Wink Re: Topping Up Gas

For sure! If you don't put her on the side stand you will never be able to top her off.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yup, side stand allows you to fully fill the tank. Another suggestion since you're new to the beast. I'm in the habit of leaving it in gear when I stop and just putting down the side stand which kills the engine. That makes sure she doesn't roll forward on you and take a nap against the fuel pumps.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Super Moderator

Do not practice filling up the gas tank all the way . . .

Two things to keep in mind when filling up the LT:

1. Leave the gas level low in the filler tube. Attempts to fill as much as possible result in gas flushing back into the charcoal canister clogging it and causing gas tank vacuum problems, engine performance issues and the list goes on and on.

2. Be careful not to leave the gas pump nozzle hanging in your filler tube - or at least be careful if you do not keep your hand on it at all times. I have a seen at least two LT's who's filler tubes are cracked and cannot seal because the filler tube was split by gas pump nozzles.

Now back to your regular channel . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 1:59 pm

...when I go on long runs, I always fill it up to the brim knowing that I will burn it off as soon as I get going. I've been doing this since day one and never had a problem. I don't know if I'm "lucky" or this is an exaggerated or an isolated problem. I think that little extra gas has saved me a few times on long runs between gas stations.

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 7:03 pm

We have those silly "vapor barrier" fillers here - I got tired of holding the rubber up to fill the tank, so I bought the rubber filler adaptor at BMWOR - tank fills to the top & clicks off, every time.

Some have had leaking problems with them (overfill), but it's yet to happen to me. Don't know how it works on the old style nozzels..
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 3:55 am

Hey, that's great. On my trip to CA ten years ago, I wondered what those black rippled things were around the fuel filler nozzle. Another of life's mysterys solved.

Here in Australia we don't have such fancy vapour "catchers". We let the vapours do their thing and just pump the stuff till it poors out the filler. Then we know she's really full.

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2009, 6:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Do not practice filling up the gas tank all the way . . .

Two things to keep in mind when filling up the LT:

1. Leave the gas level low in the filler tube. Attempts to fill as much as possible result in gas flushing back into the charcoal canister clogging it and causing gas tank vacuum problems, engine performance issues and the list goes on and on.

2. Be careful not to leave the gas pump nozzle hanging in your filler tube - or at least be careful if you do not keep your hand on it at all times. I have a seen at least two LT's who's filler tubes are cracked and cannot seal because the filler tube was split by gas pump nozzles.

Now back to your regular channel . . .
Simple solution to #1 is to remove the canister. A search will pull up a lot of information on how to do this with pictures. Leaves space accessories....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
We have those silly "vapor barrier" fillers here - I got tired of holding the rubber up to fill the tank, so I bought the rubber filler adaptor at BMWOR - tank fills to the top & clicks off, every time.

Some have had leaking problems with them (overfill), but it's yet to happen to me. Don't know how it works on the old style nozzels..
The Aerostich answer to the black accordion "vapor barrier" thingy, is called the "E-Z Fill Nozzle Key", and it costs $8 (plus shipping).
I cut one out of .060" aluminum and "velcroed" it to the underside of the fuel cap door.

Works good .............lasts long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Z fill.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	33828   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Z fill 2.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	33829  
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 13th, 2011, 6:43 pm

yes, as per the owners manual....

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #12 of 19 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
The Aerostich answer to the black accordion "vapor barrier" thingy, is called the "E-Z Fill Nozzle Key", and it costs $8 (plus shipping).
I cut one out of .060" aluminum and "velcroed" it to the underside of the fuel cap door.

Works good .............lasts long time.
Just curious, what do you do with this thingy after use. You don't put this stinking gizmo in your trunk do you?.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
Just curious, what do you do with this thingy after use. You don't put this stinking gizmo in your trunk do you?.
BJ

It appears that he has it attached with velcro to the inside of the gas cap lid....handy.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 14th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Yup, side stand allows you to fully fill the tank. Another suggestion since you're new to the beast. I'm in the habit of leaving it in gear when I stop and just putting down the side stand which kills the engine. That makes sure she doesn't roll forward on you and take a nap against the fuel pumps.
I don't have a dog in this hunt (I _may_ pick up an LT on Friday, but I'm not counting my chickens til they're on the trailer) but my MSF instructor suggested getting in the habit of using the kill switch on the handlebar....every time.

For that one in a million event where the bike is on it's side, screaming for the moon, and you have to figger out how to turn it off...you already have the habit ingrained in memory.

But still...leave it in gear! Heck, even kill it with the kickstand...then hit the killswitch.
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm

broke off the emergency kill switch by using it everytime, on an rt i had. use the kickstand, then let it roll till bike stops, and inch or two, forward or backward, esp forward so u don't come back and find it laying on it's side
post #16 of 19 Old May 7th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Who parks their car in neutral? Why would you park your bike in neutral? The engine cut off switch is for a reason. To shut the engine off. The kick stand switch is there so you don't drive off with the kick stand down. Not all bikes are make this way, so it's a big surprise when you put the kick stand down and the bike keeps running. Listen to your instructor.
post #17 of 19 Old May 7th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I just shut it off with the key in first gear.
Is that not what the key is for?
post #18 of 19 Old May 7th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Same here, I stop the engine with the key because the kill switch feels as though repeated use will shorten its life. On the filling issue, no cannisters on the Australian spec models, not on my '05 anyway, so I gently rock the bike to the extreme left whilst on the sidestand and I can usually get to within 1 or 2 bars of the top of the gauge. That normally reads out at 490 +/- Km's till empty initially. 98 RON wherever possible, 95 if not.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #19 of 19 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:25 am

Garage

Hey I thought this was about topping off.
OH well the cut off switch was a different thread. I have tried topping off on the side stand a few times and after a trip around the forum and the book just fill to the bottom of the filler. When my bike was new I did test fills and kept my receipts notably for the gallons. Now when I am at a prejudged mark I go to the pump knowing how many gals. to fill up. At today's prices I just stop at the next $.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in