Comparing my LT and RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Comparing my LT and RT

A while back I was faced with the fact that I would need to ride a lighter bike than the LT because of an injured knee. I decided the new R1200RT would be my new ride. Reluctantly, I parted with the LT and put a new RT into service. Today the wife and I took our first real ride Ė about 200 miles.

In just over 400 miles the RT has turned out to be very much what I expected with few surprises. Itís not as smooth as the LT. Vibrations can be detected, but not to the degree that comfort or riding distance is effected. The stock RT windshield was way too windy for me. A Cee Bailey fixed that. Now the wind and rain protection seems equal.

The RT accelerates faster at every speed and feels more nimble in corners and in a parking lot. The LT has a silent, smooth feel getting away from a stop. The RTís exhaust system is slightly louder. It doesnít have the ďpurrĒ of the LT.

Braking distance on both is about equal IF the front brake control is used on the RT. LT brakes are a no brainer. I had to learn again that when you really want to stop use the front brake. The braking systems differ, but when full ABS is used they perform equally well.

The stock seats on the LT are more comfortable. After our long ride today my wife is now in favor of the new seats that will be built in March. She says the seat on the LT was way better. After the first 100 miles we needed a break. After the next 100 miles we needed more padding. She likes the RTís seating better with the side cases installed. It gives her something to rest her legs on.

Way more service information is available on the LT. Fuel economy for both is about the same. Storage space is a bit pinched on the RT. I miss the multiple CD player. I like ESA and the heated seat indicators on the information panel on the RT. Itís great to be able to take the cases off. Itís a different look and feel.

The two bikes arenít to compared like apples and oranges. More like oranges and tangerines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Glad you seem to like your new LT. Keep in mind that this is an LT forum, therefore I must defend it's honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyj
The RT accelerates faster at every speed...
I would attribute this to the torque of the 2-cylinder engine, and the lesser weight of the RT. But let's not ignore the fact that an RT is going to "feel' faster because of the rumble of the Boxer motor, and the louder pipes.

Quote:
Braking distance on both is about equal IF the front brake control is used on the RT. LT brakes are a no brainer. I had to learn again that when you really want to stop use the front brake.
The only time I don't used the front lever on the LT is at slow speeds and when scrubbing a little speed off in the twisties. Your comment makes it sound like you did not use the LT's front lever very much. Quite frankly, that alarms me at some level.

Quote:
After the first 100 miles we needed a break. After the next 100 miles we needed more padding. She likes the RTís seating better with the side cases installed. It gives her something to rest her legs on.
100 miles at a time? Yikes! Not exactly a long-distance 2-up tourer, now is it?

Quote:
Fuel economy for both is about the same.
That's saying a LOT for the LT...with it being 100 pounds or more heavier!

Quote:
Storage space is a bit pinched on the RT.
Boy...that sure does contradict everything I've heard about the RT's bags. I thought they were supposed to bigger and better than the LT's. Hhmmn....

Quote:
...and the heated seat indicators on the information panel on the RT.
That's why I installed an LED on my dash that indicates which seat heaters are on.

Quote:
Itís great to be able to take the cases off. Itís a different look and feel.
Did you ever take the tour trunk off of the LT? Same result.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:24 pm

That is why I ride one to make the SO happy and they other to make the ................... happy.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:51 am Thread Starter

Hi Joe,

I do not want to dishonor either bike. I like them both. I'm sure there will be times I will miss the LT. I must admit, the LT wasn't good for my braking technique. I was so impressed with the fact that it would stop on a dime with either control that I became a bit sloppy. The RT has reminded me of that - and I appreciate it. I believe custom seats will solve the 100-mile discomfort level and may be even more comfortable than the LT stock seats. Maybe I should have said two hours because we took our time, so we were on the bike for almost 4 hours with about a 30-minute break. The weight difference is closer to 300 lbs. The RT bags may be bigger but they open in the middle and are more awkward to pack. I have the soft luggage that fits snug inside which makes them better. Also, there's no tank compartment on the RT when the radio/CD player is included. Yes, I took the tour trunk off the LT and put on the Ft Worth rack. I preferred that configuration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in