Top Trunk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Top Trunk

I picked up my 02 LT from a great guy on Saturday in Oakland, CA. Thanks Galen! It was raining and the trunk was full of the luggage that came with it. By the time I got around to unloading the trunk at my in-law's, it was dark. so, I really didn't get a good look at the interior. My reading material on the plane back to Dallas was the Lt manuals. There was a reference to storage of the oil filler funnel in a compartment in the trunk. Is there such a compartment. If so, where?

Thanks

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
I picked up my 02 LT from a great guy on Saturday in Oakland, CA. Thanks Galen! It was raining and the trunk was full of the luggage that came with it. By the time I got around to unloading the trunk at my in-law's, it was dark. so, I really didn't get a good look at the interior. My reading material on the plane back to Dallas was the Lt manuals. There was a reference to storage of the oil filler funnel in a compartment in the trunk. Is there such a compartment. If so, where?

Thanks

Les
If you open the top case and look directly at the center of the opened top case you'll find a little flap. Pull it towards you, it is hinged with a vanity mirror on the inside and a little storage compartment available for some of those paper funnels (never used one on my LT) and operating manuals and insurance/registration.

Enjoy
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Behind the mirror...flip it down.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:46 pm

yup, the one I broken and posted about a fix. Just a mintue ago.
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
There was a reference to storage of the oil filler funnel in a compartment in the trunk.

Les
The paper funnels are not all that great.
My K1200RS also had them under the seat. I would only use them in dire emergency. next time your going past a cheapo automotive shop pick up a oil funnel with a long skinny neck.
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Top Trunk

OK, Thanks. I saw the vanity mirror but, somehow, I was thinking of a regular plastic funnel with a tube attached. I'll get one at an auto parts store.

Les
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 9:36 am

You may want to consider buying a really cheapo plastic funnel - then head over to your favorite hardware store and buy a two foot length of clear plastic tubing to slip over the end. You can hang the funnel from the right hand grip with a piece of bailing wire, fill her up with oil, and have a cold one at the same time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You may want to consider buying a really cheapo plastic funnel...
But where do you put the chrome strips and the LEDs?!?!
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You may want to consider buying a really cheapo plastic funnel - then head over to your favorite hardware store and buy a two foot length of clear plastic tubing to slip over the end. You can hang the funnel from the right hand grip with a piece of bailing wire, fill her up with oil, and have a cold one at the same time!
Or, for about $6.50, you could get one of these. If the jpeg didn't make it to the post, the pic is of a Redline racing funnel. HTH

-tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redline%20funnel.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1579  

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:54 am

Or - one of these that are available at Wally World. Have volume measurements in both liters and ounces, and with a cut-off to stop flow while adding in the measured amount. Available in the auto section, and you can add a longer length of tubing if needed.

And if you change the fluids in the rear drive, a baby bottle with tip of nipple removed - also has measurements molded in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil filler thangie.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1580  
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
The paper funnels are not all that great.
BUT: They are GREAT when you are on a long trip, and need to add oil. Use one and throw it away. I have one of the red offset funnels at home that I use in the garage, but I would not want to waste space on the bike to carry a plastic funnel, much less suffer the mess of cleaning it up after use before you put it back in the bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:26 am

Woah, help me out here. There are people posting that the paper funnels are great on long trips to add oil. How much oil should be added? OK, I am new to the LT but in the last 200,000 miles on 8 different bikes I only had to add oil one time on the road and it was because I blew an oil line and dripped over time. Is it a normal thing to have to add oil between changes??

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:02 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Woah, help me out here. There are people posting that the paper funnels are great on long trips to add oil. How much oil should be added? OK, I am new to the LT but in the last 200,000 miles on 8 different bikes I only had to add oil one time on the road and it was because I blew an oil line and dripped over time. Is it a normal thing to have to add oil between changes??
33,000 on my '03 LTE and never added oil after the first 1,500 miles. Two complaints you'll rarely hear about an LT is it uses oil and the horn is wimpy.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:48 am

Quote:
Not "normal", but there are some of us who have ridden on LOOOONG trips.

Don Arthur, Coni, Edgar, Ken, Tom and Rosie, myself, and a few others. When you ride 6-11,000 miles in just a few days, oil addition may be needed. Especially if you are on an Iron Butt ride and cannot take time to have the oil changed.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Woah, help me out here. [snip] How much oil should be added?
I added 4 quarts to my '02 on my last looong trip. Then again, I drained as much right before adding it.

I've always looked at the paper funnels as a "just in case" type of thing. I really never plan on using mine. I do find it humorous that BMW supplies funnels to add oil...while Harley-D does not.
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Quote:
I've always looked at the paper funnels as a "just in case" type of thing
I agree with that as a "just in case" and they are on the bike. I just got a little scared when it was posted that you have to add. I check when I am out on the road and even check tire pressure but having to add oil should not be a thing to do.
Now, this Iron Butt thing might be a different story. Not a "normal" ride through the park.

Thanks again...

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 1:37 pm

I do find it humorous that BMW supplies funnels to add oil...while Harley-D does not. [/QUOTE]

What's even more curious is that bikes with little thirst for oil always seem to have a sight-glass, and the burner/leakers have a dipstick, which is usually in a hard-to-reach place, and gets too hot to touch without gloves.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 1:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Now, this Iron Butt thing might be a different story. Not a "normal" ride through the park.
Now there's an understatement. Unless you're referring to the National Parks Tour, that is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in