Wrist and neck - my weak points - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Wrist and neck - my weak points

Howdy all,

I'm riding my '06 LT this week, after a long period of snow and ice on the roads (the only things that keep me away from riding!).

I am amazed by how good this bike is, expecially with few degrees above 0°C: I reach my office in the morning, after 40 minutes and 65Km, and I'm warm and relaxed... no frozen fingers, no dripping nose, no aching back or shoulders
My collegues stare at me and ask: "Don't feel cold"? and I'm happy to answer: "Not at all!"

I only have a couple of issues where maybe you can advise.

FIrstly, my right wrist is somehow weak, due to an accident I had back in 1993. The LT requires a lot of effort to open the gas (why?) and this is causing some pain in the long run. Thank God I have the cruise control on the LT and use it as often as I can, but it's not always possible.
Is there a way to fix this issue?

Second point: I'm getting a lot of air on the neck when I'm at 80-90mph, due to the backpressure caused by the windscreen. I'm not keeping the windscreen all up (the back-pressure is way too much if I do, my helmet gets slapped forward) but with 0 to 4°C the windscreen is required to stay high anyway. Is it normal to get all this pressure from the rear? It's causing me some slight aching on the following day (a total of 80 minutes of freezing air per day, blown on your neck, is a good challenge for any riding gear).
What's the best way to fix this problem? I'm 5'10" tall, it this can be of any help.

Thanks
Corrado

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Re: Wrist and neck - my weak points

Corrado

For the throttle I would suggest new cables - I think they were upgraded in 05.

For your cold neck anything from here will help Click

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Hello Corrado,

Well, the wrist is easy. Get a throttle rocker. It's cheap, effective, and as we live in Europe we can actually get the real stuff instead of the velcro crap (Hey, who threw that bottle at me? ).

http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?p...0&groupid=3333

best EUR 10.00 You'll ever spend.

For the neck I wear a scarf under the jacket. I wear a bmw tourguard and the two neck flaps are very effective in sealing the gap between the helmet and my shoulders. Otherwise I'd stick to Grahm's suggestion. I've heard wonders about buff products.

Ride safe.

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 7:12 pm

If ytou think your right hand feels bad, try a '99 - they were stiff. When you get the bike on cruise, try shaking the hand for a bit or clenching the hand a few times. Roll the wrist round and up and down.

There are 3 reasons why a neck can get stiff;
Wind - try another screen
Cold - get it really wrapped up
Tension - it is very easy to tighten muscles on a bike - specially a new one. A good technique is to tighten all muscles and then relax them, makes you more aware of the tension. Also, specifically for the neck, stretch the back of the neck upwards while pointing the chin downwards and shoulders down. Do this 4 times in a row, every 20 or so miles. Works wonders. Looks mad to anyone watching, but who cares.
Pillion and I do bike-er-sizes on long trips, just warn each other when you are about to start!

You can tell I am getting old, I have developed a few tricks to ward off the old age aches and pains.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

For the wrist, try a throttle rocker or cramp buster. For the neck pressure I switched to a CeeBaily screen after the first trip on my 05' and never have any back pressure problems. There are several screens makers out there, try something different than what you have.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2009, 1:24 am

I had exactly the same problems with my neck when I started in 2004. I was really pissed off with the terrible draft to my neck until I switched to CeeBailey. It helped me a lot but not 100%.

On top of that I use a Windstopper balaclava plus a Windstopper neck collar even up to +20 C temperatures. Windstopper is a special brand of fabric (like Gore-Tex) that is used by different manufacturers. For me those accessories are nowadays like helmet, I don't ride even around the block without them.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #7 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 4:12 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm going out today for a shop tour, I might find a good neck protection like the one you suggested (I liked the biker demo from Buff! Great performer, if not else )

I'm already stretching my back, shoulders and wrist/arm regularly when I travel (after my bike accident in 1993, I had some very intensive lessons on stretching ), but sometimes when the wind is blowing on your neck at 150Km/h and 0°C there's not much that you can do...

I've seen several posts about the CeeBaily screens, but I wonder if it's too expensive to get them in Italy?

Thanks!

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 6:16 am

Yeah, the Buffs are OK for the summer but forget them for winter and especially with LT backdraft!

Actually during my CCR trip in Canada/USA back in 2006 the biggest mistake I made (as far as riding gear was concerned) was that I left both of my Windstoppers home. I thought I would save some space and only took two Buffs and every time the temperature was below 18C I was really uncomfortable. The Buffs just could not keep my neck warm.

Of course some people are more sensitive to the neck draft than others...

I have ordered several CeeBaileys to Finland. The shipping has typically been around 120 USD. (+ 22 % VAT and some 5% custom duties) If you can find another LT-rider that needs a windshield you could share the freight. I have organized several group buys for the Finnish LT-riders and CB can pack up to 3 windshields in one carton. If you need more info send me a PM.
Regards and good luck with your shopping

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #9 of 13 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the hint, I finally went for a winter wind-stopper, a warm one that works great even when I drive in the sub-zero range.

As for the CeeBaileys, what would you call as top-benefit, that is worth the expense to get it from US?

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 4:05 am

I'm very happy with my V-stream shield from ZTechnik. No more draft what so ever. They are available all over Europe and I paid it 199 € delivered and well

Here you can see the diference between the V-Stream and the original screen:

http://www.ztechnik.com/index.html
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 6:07 am Thread Starter

Garage

Wow! It looks like a big one

How high are you keeping it while you ride, all up? That seems a lot.

I'm asking because I usually keep my standard screen a bit lower than top-position, because I don't like to look half-way through it (the transition line is annoying) and I'm too tall to see through it completely.

Also, when the screen is fully up, I don't like the braking effect and/or cornering "dance" caused by such a high windscreen, although I do appreciate the silence of having no wind.

My hope is that one could find a screen which is not too tall, but has a better flow to remove the back-push and the turbulence.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 7:58 am

In winter conditions I keep it al the way up. Nice and warm

I'm not so tall so I'm always looking through it even when it's completely down but that's no problem because there's no braking effect and/or cornering "dance" whatsoever
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:52 am

With the Euro exchange rate this may be a good buy click

If you find it is to big you may be able to cut it down removing the excess from the bottom.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in