Reverse Inoperable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Reverse Inoperable

I recently tried to use my reverse and found that it will not work. When I put the selecter switch in reverse, the light comes on indicating that it is in reverse, and when I push the starter button, the bike does not move. I read on a post a year ago that the battery may be too weak to operate the reverse motor, but the battery is only 1-1/2 yrs old and I keep it on a trickle charge (Battery Tender) all the time. The leads I have gotten from previous posts are:

- weak battery?
- relay problem?
- loose wire above rear brake lever?
- bad transmission interlock switch?
- loose wire near the battery?
- bad reverse controller?

If anyone has had this problem or something similar please let me know. Thanks!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 11:44 am

Re: Reverse Inoperable

When the scooter is in reverse and you press the button, does it move at all? Does the engine speed increase when you press the button?

Sounds like a bad reverse circuit to me, not a battery problem. Had mine replace about 4k ago... No problems since...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Hey Uncle Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

When the scooter is in reverse and you press the button, does it move at all? NO Does the engine speed increase when you press the button? NO

When you say a "bad reverse circuit", would you know if that would be the relay switch? a reverse speed sensor (Clymer p 318)? reverse aid control unit (Clymer p 319)? Do u know what they replaced on your bike?

Thanks again,
Dan

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ

post #4 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 1:53 pm

The unit they replaced on my scoot was the speed sensor. But from what I gather from your info, it sounds like it's the control unit, not the speed sensor.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #5 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Typical symptom of the speed sensor fault is that the bike moves few feet on reverse and then stops. Pressing again the button will make the bike move etc. Some people think this a safety feature...

Now in this case the reverse seems to be totally dead so I would not start looking at the speed sensor first. Could be the reverse relay in the electric box under the gas tank or then the big reverse controller under the seat on the left side of the bike.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #6 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 4:34 pm

I'm going to ask what sounds like a dumb question but from your post it's not clear. You do have the engine running when trying to back up don't you? A low battery will have nothing to do with reverse, an engine not running will or an engine running and not in neutral.

BTW, you wouldn't be the first one to make that mistake.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I'm going to ask what sounds like a dumb question but from your post it's not clear. You do have the engine running when trying to back up don't you? A low battery will have nothing to do with reverse, an engine not running will or an engine running and not in neutral.

I think that if he moved the reverse lever to reverse it had to be in neutral. It is interlocked, so you cannot move it if not in neutral, and you cannot shift the transmission out of neutral if the lever is not moved back to forward. Correct me if I am wrong, unfortunately, no bike in the garage, so I work from memory, and that is not what it used to be.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 41 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Steve and Dave,

Yes, thanks for your replys. YES, I have the enggine running, in neutral. I flip the reverse switch (near shift pedal) and the "R" light comes on at the dashboard. Then when I press the starter button to activate reverse, nothing happens.

At this point I dont think it s the battery, but either the controller (to the rear of the battery) or the reverse relay (under the gas tank). Next step is to figure out how I can pinpoint which one it is.

THANKS Again to everybody for your input!!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #9 of 41 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 1:24 am

Are you sure that all the wires to the battery are hooked up? I understood that a separate positive cable actually powered reverse. Good luck

bmwstve
Silver 02 K1200LTE
Black 88 K75
post #10 of 41 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 7:51 am

Another possibility is the switch on the sidestand....sidestand must be up before backing.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #11 of 41 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 8:18 am

Could be a switch, as already mentioned, or a fuse. According to the schematic, it is fuse 4, lower fuse in the block on the right side of the bike.

There are several inputs to the control box, Motronic relay, side stand switch, clutch switch, starter and emercency stop switches, and the neutral safety switch.

If you do determine it is the control box, I have one I purchased as a spare and never needed it. I will sell it for $400. It includes all the cables. New one is $1300!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 41 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Hi all again!

Much thanks for your suggestions.

Stve - I checked the battery connections again. Nothing different from when the reverse did work. But no harm to have another look at them.

Ron - Yea I had the side stand up while the bike was in neutral. Still no reverse.

Dave - Didn't know a fuse could be involved. I will check wiring diagram as well. But the fuse you mention is OK. Actually I checked them all. Thanks on your offer re the control box, sounds like a good deal, but I need to determine first if that's the problem. Will get back to ya.

Will keep "youse guys" (I am originally from Brooklyn) posted.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #13 of 41 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 6:45 pm

I just had mine fixed, same symptom exactly. We replaced the reverse controller with a used unit. LTparts.com has a couple right now.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA
post #14 of 41 Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:04 am

My reverse has been out for almost two years now. It does the same thing as yours does. "R" light on the dash comes on and press the button and nothing happens.
I am not too worries as I live in South Texas and it is flat everywhere we go. But it would be nice to have it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 41 Old Feb 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Hi All,
Thanks for your input re my Reverse Inoperable post. Have tried some things, and here is the update.

I replaced the reverse aide control unit (got a used but working one for $275) and that was not it!

I am checking the reverse gear (backup aid) switch (Clymer p 229) but dont know how to check if it is good or not. And replacing that is about $168. Do you know any way to test if it is OK?

Some mentioned the reverse relay in the electronics box. I checked Clymer and cannot find a "reverse" relay (Clymer p307-308). Could it be the Load relief relay (shown on the schematic, Clymer p 612)? For that matter, is there a way to check if the relay is working?

Final step will be to check the speed sensor (Clymer p. 318). That is $152. Again, does anyone know of a way to see if this is working or not?

Wow, this stuff gets expensive after a while. I hate just replacing everything by trial and error. Maybe I will follow ibbones example and just ride w/o a reverse!

THANKS AGAIN to everybody for your help!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #16 of 41 Old Feb 21st, 2009, 10:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The reverse relay is inside the controller and there is a large (10mm) black wire that ties into the starter terminal block behind the battery. There should also be a large red that goes to the battery "+" and a large brown that goes to battery "-" or the "-" terminal block. Note that the large wires may be Black with a yellow stripe on some controllers. In that case they should be marked where they go.

One question you were not asked was what does the "R" light do when you press the starter? Does it blink or stay steady?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Feb 21st, 2009 at 11:01 pm.
post #17 of 41 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 2:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
Hi All,
Thanks for your input re my Reverse Inoperable post. Have tried some things, and here is the update.

I replaced the reverse aide control unit (got a used but working one for $275) and that was not it!

I am checking the reverse gear (backup aid) switch (Clymer p 229) but dont know how to check if it is good or not. And replacing that is about $168. Do you know any way to test if it is OK?

Some mentioned the reverse relay in the electronics box. I checked Clymer and cannot find a "reverse" relay (Clymer p307-308). Could it be the Load relief relay (shown on the schematic, Clymer p 612)? For that matter, is there a way to check if the relay is working?

Final step will be to check the speed sensor (Clymer p. 318). That is $152. Again, does anyone know of a way to see if this is working or not?

Wow, this stuff gets expensive after a while. I hate just replacing everything by trial and error. Maybe I will follow ibbones example and just ride w/o a reverse!

THANKS AGAIN to everybody for your help!

Dan,

sorry to hear about your persistent reverser problem. I reply to your PM public as others might find it useful as well...

My experience of the reverser problems is limited to the more common symptoms: reverse working but then stopping after few seconds.

I was able to watch my technician at the dealership working on this issue back in 2005 (bike was under warranty). Now looking back he was using a trial / erroe method rather than really having any big experience on the issue.
Anyway, he started by going into the main electronics box under the gas tank. There is a relay (which I personally don't know what it is for exactly) that he changed since "he had once done it to another bike". This did not help.

As the second trial he changed the big control unit. This did not help either.
As this was my second visit to dealer because of the same problem we agreed that the third attempt will be done by myself. (I had already learned from this forum about the speed sensor.) So he gave me one as we agreed that I will change it myself during my winter projects. And this solved it.
Of course trying to solve the problem by trial and error is easy to do when the bike is under warranty. The technician can just order any parts he wishes and he even gets paid for his work by the factory...

I wonder if you have seen the posts on the reverser problems on the old LT site. For instance David Mack (aka beemerlt) wrote an extensive summary on the various reverser issues: (unfortunately the pictures have vanished somewhere...)
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o=

Ar far as checking a multi pin relay functioning you would probably need a diagram of the internal connections of the relay in order to be able to check it with a multimeter. I'm not much more of an electrician unfortunately...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #18 of 41 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:03 am

Yes, I agree with others here and will emphasize that no reverse movement is NOT usually indicative of a bad speed sensor. However, it could be possible that if the sensor fails in an uncommon mode such as excess speed, the reverser may be shut off completely. Just haven't heard or seen that happen.

I know for a fact that if the speed sensor fails to complete the feedback loop to the controller due to failure, loose connector or broken wire, the reverser will fail in ALL circumstances by reversing a few feet and then stopping with a flashing R light. Keeps this in mind when trouble shooting. I think yours will be that relay, if it is not the controller.

The sensor can NOT be easily rang out with a meter. If you were getting some motion, I wouldn't hesitate to change it if the wiring was all good.

Good luck,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #19 of 41 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The reverse relay is inside the controller and there is a large (10mm) black wire that ties into the starter terminal block behind the battery. There should also be a large red that goes to the battery "+" and a large brown that goes to battery "-" or the "-" terminal block. Note that the large wires may be Black with a yellow stripe on some controllers. In that case they should be marked where they go.

One question you were not asked was what does the "R" light do when you press the starter? Does it blink or stay steady?
Hey John, thanks for your thoughts. I look forward to seeing you at the Spring Training Camp.

See attached photos. The Reverse Aid Control Unit (RACU) has the red wire to the battery + terminal. It has two black/yellow strip wires that go to the starter terminal block and - terminal block. I hooked these up identical to how they were hooked up with the old/existing RACU that I took out. Of course they also have two electrical plug connectors that hook up to counterparts in the wiring harness.

You say that the relay is INSIDE the RACU, so I would take that apart to replace it, yes? Since I replaced the entire RACU with a used unit that was working, however, I guess the relay is OK.

So I guess that leaves the reverse gear switch which I now have access to (see last photo) or the speed sensor switch. From other posts, I dont think it is the latter. BUT is there any way to test the reverse gear switch short of buying a new one?

And BTW, when I press the starter with the reverse light on, the light stays rock solid steady.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse aid control unit.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	21918   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires to starter.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	21919   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire to battery +.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	21920   Click image for larger version

Name:	control unit in bike.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	21921   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires to starter2.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	21922  

Name:	wires to starter3.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	21923   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires to starter4.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	21924   Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse gear switch in bike.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	21925   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear switch connector2.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	21926  

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #20 of 41 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Dan,

Anyway, he started by going into the main electronics box under the gas tank. There is a relay (which I personally don't know what it is for exactly) that he changed since "he had once done it to another bike". This did not help.

I wonder if you have seen the posts on the reverser problems on the old LT site. For instance David Mack (aka beemerlt) wrote an extensive summary on the various reverser issues: (unfortunately the pictures have vanished somewhere...)
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o=

Ar far as checking a multi pin relay functioning you would probably need a diagram of the internal connections of the relay in order to be able to check it with a multimeter. I'm not much more of an electrician unfortunately...

Regards
Ari,
Great ideas. Thanks.

John Zeiler has indicated that the relay is inside the control box. I did not see one identified by Clymer to be located in the Electronics Box. Wonder if anyone else has thoughts here.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #21 of 41 Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I presume that the black/yellow with the brown sleeve went to the ground tie point? The other black yellow goes to the starter terminal block? Ok I looked at your photos and they appear correct. The naked black yellow goes to what looks to be a tie terminal but it does not look like the one on my bike.

I am looking at the diagrams to see if there is an easy way to test the two switches at the reverse knob.

Ok I looked at the diagram and the two switches can be checked for operation at the four pin connector. Pins 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are the switch terminals. In the reverse position both should read open and in the forward position they should both read closed. This is a guess based on the diagram and I don't have access to the my bike until Wednesday afternoon when I get back from this business trip.

If nothing else we will figure it at Iron Horse in April.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Feb 22nd, 2009 at 8:00 pm.
post #22 of 41 Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I presume that the black/yellow with the brown sleeve went to the ground tie point? The other black yellow goes to the starter terminal block? Ok I looked at your photos and they appear correct. The naked black yellow goes to what looks to be a tie terminal but it does not look like the one on my bike.

I am looking at the diagrams to see if there is an easy way to test the two switches at the reverse knob.

Ok I looked at the diagram and the two switches can be checked for operation at the four pin connector. Pins 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 are the switch terminals. In the reverse position both should read open and in the forward position they should both read closed. This is a guess based on the diagram and I don't have access to the my bike until Wednesday afternoon when I get back from this business trip.

John,
OK great, I will check out what u suggest. Meanwhile, I'll put everything back together and see what we can figure out in April at Ironhorse.

I have used reverse about 3 times in the past 1-1/2 years so no big deal to ride without it!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #23 of 41 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 2:02 am

May be a stupid question but didn't see it asked in the early posts anyway. You did have the side stand up didn't you? Wont work with side stand down.

Dell Bowling Green KY

2016 R1200RTW

2012 K1600GTL

2001 K1200LTI
post #24 of 41 Old Sep 14th, 2009, 8:43 am

I also have inoperable reverse, engaged I get a Flashing R Light. My dealer says it is an RPM Sensor, which is tied to this circuit ?

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #25 of 41 Old Sep 15th, 2009, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Jim et al,

STILL haven't figured it out. Reverse is still inoperable. I will look into an RPM sensor, although at this point I am not sure what/where that is.

Thanks All!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #26 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 1:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Typical symptom of the speed sensor fault is that the bike moves few feet on reverse and then stops. Pressing again the button will make the bike move etc. Some people think this a safety feature...
Today, I noticed my 99 Lt doing this very thing. The reverse speed sensor sounds like it's at fault...attempting to locate the correct part number...is it #23007660180? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, this could be a hijack...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #27 of 41 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 9:47 am

My problem ended up being the Reverse Aid Control Unit (RACU)... Replaced Speed Sensor first, did not fix it. Tech tells me Trial & Error diagnostics required, as there are no fault codes generated for failures within this circuit ! I ended up eating the repairs, in order to sell my bike..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #28 of 41 Old Jun 29th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Sully- just wanted to give you a heart felt thanks for the pictures and info you put in this post about a K1200LT reverser not working. Your pictures saved the day for me! I had my bike all apart to change a rear main seal. When going back together, I was confused on where the reverser controller black/yellow stripe leads were to go. I put them both on the terminal near the rear spring. Symptom was nothing happened when I hit Reverse. I was not confident I was attaching these leads to the right places but the BMW schematics in their after sales electrical schematics were not clear either on where they should go. Your pics got me straightened out and now its working! Thank you so much for your efforts on this post! Sincerely Tom Garrett, Colorado Springs CO.
post #29 of 41 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:20 am

Quote:

Where is this speed sensor located?

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #30 of 41 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:24 am

Quote:

What & where is ironhorse? Sorry.I'm a newbie.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #31 of 41 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216
What & where is ironhorse? Sorry.I'm a newbie.
James - click here for the start of the thread regarding Ironhorse and Spring Training Camp. Ya'oughta go!!
post #32 of 41 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 7:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216
Where is this speed sensor located?
The speed sensor is located on the right side of the tranny behind the right foot peg plate (three bolts and it is off). When it goes bad you get reverse for about two feet and it quits and you have to release and hit the starter button again to move another two feet. Item #4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blow up.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	37529  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #33 of 41 Old Jun 27th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R

Thank You!!

I'm editing the above typos as you read this.
1999 Basalt Grey

post #34 of 41 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 3:34 am

Sorry to drag up a 4 year old post, but was this problem ever solved?

Dan, my friend has the exact problem as you did with his 2007 (recently purchased with reverse still working). My 2008 works perfectly, so we can swap parts to try to pin it down, but that's a ton of work. It would be nice to find out if you found the solution.

One question......The reverser switch box (left side, near gear shift) has 4 leads according to Clymer, but there is no details of how those wires are switched when the knob is rotated. Are there 2 micro switches involved when the knob is set to reverse? Does anyone have a wiring diagram of inside that reverser switch box?

Rich

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black

Last edited by Richdude; Oct 20th, 2013 at 3:51 am.
post #35 of 41 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdude
Sorry to drag up a 4 year old post, but was this problem ever solved?

Dan, my friend has the exact problem as you did with his 2007 (recently purchased with reverse still working). My 2008 works perfectly, so we can swap parts to try to pin it down, but that's a ton of work. It would be nice to find out if you found the solution.

One question......The reverser switch box (left side, near gear shift) has 4 leads according to Clymer, but there is no details of how those wires are switched when the knob is rotated. Are there 2 micro switches involved when the knob is set to reverse? Does anyone have a wiring diagram of inside that reverser switch box?

Rich
A while ago, John (Jzeiler) has posted a reply on a method to check these 2 switches behind the knob. See this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57707

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #36 of 41 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 9:12 am

Hello Richdude,

One of the micro switches is closed when not in rev , it makes the 12volt - (ground) wire for the starter relay. The other is a MoTronic imput.

Bob G
2011RT
1999LT sold , an missed by wife !
post #37 of 41 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If the "R" comes on when you flip to reverse then the reverse part of the switch is OK. Often the reason for a dead reverse is the large (10.0mm) black/yellow wire with a red band on the terminal was left off the positive pot when changing a battery. (who puts a black wire on the positive??). the reverser controller has three black/yellow large wires. the one with the red bad goes to the positive post. The one with the Brown band goes to the negative tie point behind the battery (brake side). The one with the black band goes to the starter tie point behind the battery (shifter side).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tie Points.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	43993  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #38 of 41 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 10:53 am

Garage

I thought my reverse did not work.

I was wrong, I read enough and found some peaople saying motor must be running, put in rev, push starter.
Then it worked great!

I read a few people saying theirs worked with engine off, mine does not even try to work.
Also since rpm goes up while in rev, I think that is the designed way it does work.
post #39 of 41 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 4:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct. The engine must be running for reverse to work.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #40 of 41 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:39 pm

Smile Re: Reverse Inoperable-Solved!!

I finally got arround to fixing my friends '07 K1200LT. The reverse stopped working a month after he bought it. I have an '08 so I planned to swap parts until I found the culprit.

1. His reverse switch tested OK. Forward position: only blk/grn connected to brown. Reverse position: only yel/wht connected to black.
2. His reverse speed sensor looked good, no wire cuts or pinches. Besides, bad speed sensor usually causes stops and start; not total reverse failure.
3. All lock out switches test fine. Kick stand switch, etc.

Only thing left is swapping out the reverse control unit. It has 2 multiwire barrel connectors under the rear seat. One looked connected but was NOT seated and locked. THAT WAS IT! He must have open it while installing farkels shortly after he got the bike and didn't reseat it.

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black
post #41 of 41 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Often people will pull those by mistake when removing the top case.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in