raising drivers seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 3:28 am Thread Starter

raising drivers seat

I have a 2005 model LT and find the distance between the footpegs and the seat too close I tried lowering the pegs but found they scrape too easily
I intend to raise the seat about 3 inches .Just wondering has anybody else done this and if you have what are the pitfalls to watch for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 4:07 am
cws

Garage
Re: raising drivers seat

Hi David.
Here's a couple of options to think about...
a remodelled seat to raise you higher, probably need to look to one of the US suppliers unless you can find a local you trust... I went with a Rick Mayer seat for comfort, not a height increase.. but I'm pretty sure they can build extra foam in to lift you up. Check the threads under "ergonomics & comfort" I think it is, or search on "Mayer" & seat... you'll soon find a few names to ponder.
Ari in Finland came up with a seat raiser that runs off a screwdriver/drill... he has extensive information on how he does things on his website, again a search should uncover it. A result of too much "snowed in" time and lots of thinking, those Fins.....
Others will chime in, no doubt....

Where in Sydney are you?

cheers
Chris

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 9:40 am

Check out this thread:

Powered Seat Raising

I've not tried it, but, looks cool.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:35 pm

The seat on my LT was not only too low but it high in the front and pushed into my crotch. I added spacers at the rear of the seat to the limit of the latch . In addition to raising the seat, the new angle is much better ........for me.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #5 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongman
I have a 2005 model LT and find the distance between the footpegs and the seat too close I tried lowering the pegs but found they scrape too easily
I intend to raise the seat about 3 inches .Just wondering has anybody else done this and if you have what are the pitfalls to watch for
David
There is a member here who has a seat for sale that sounds like it would be just what you are looking for, his handle is JPSpen, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/member.php?u=9551 this should get you to his information so you could send him a PM about it.

post #6 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 1:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: raising drivers seat

David,
I am 6'3" with about a 33" inseam. When I put the stock Comfort Seat in the raised position I felt I was being pushed toward the gas tank. It was very uncomfortable. So I put a 3/8" shim(Azec - building material plus longer screws) between the seat base and the pivoting bracket that is attached to the frame. That made a huge difference for me. I put over 40,000 miles on that setup and will install that shim on my '08LT that I am waiting on delivery.
Try it and if it doesn't work for you then spend the big bucks.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
David,
I am 6'3" with about a 33" inseam. When I put the stock Comfort Seat in the raised position I felt I was being pushed toward the gas tank. It was very uncomfortable. So I put a 3/8" shim(Azec - building material plus longer screws) between the seat base and the pivoting bracket that is attached to the frame. That made a huge difference for me. I put over 40,000 miles on that setup and will install that shim on my '08LT that I am waiting on delivery.
Try it and if it doesn't work for you then spend the big bucks.
Hi Benton,

it is interesting to hear that you succeeded with the method you described. The reason for my doubt is the fact that when the seat is in normal position, the pivoting bracket is in very far from horizontal position. (close to 45 deg angle if I remember correct) It means that when you put something between the bracket and the seat you will actually push the seat both backwards and somewhat upwards.
At least I was using this kind of reasoning when I decided to attack the bracket itself and extended it in two stages. At first 15 mm and when this was not enough then an additional 27 mm a year later. And this distance was all upwards... (Of course my power adjuster mechanism did not allow the seat to be moved in front/aft direction during the front raising process.)

But...it is good if your method helped you! It is somewhat easier to try at first, especially if one is not familiar with welding.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replys this has given me a few ideas now
I cant believe bmw makes bikes for people with no legs
apart from this I love the bke
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 8:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ari,
I did not notice any movement to the rear when I put my shim in. I did not have to change anything with the latching bracket either. It just seemed that the seat was now 3/8" higher but at the same angle to the frame as when in the lower position.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 11th, 2009, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
Ari,
I did not notice any movement to the rear when I put my shim in. I did not have to change anything with the latching bracket either. It just seemed that the seat was now 3/8" higher but at the same angle to the frame as when in the lower position.
I did the same for a while. Actually cut wedge shaped plastic and used longer screws.

Didn't like the look, went back to stock. Thinking about a seat pad to raise me up.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in