Rider Seat recovering - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Rider Seat recovering

How difficult is it to have the seat cover replaced on a stock riders seat? I don't want to change anything just have it recovered. Is this something a upholsterer could do easily?

Thanks,

Sean

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Re: Rider Seat recovering

You may consider a Saddle shop; you might be surprised at the options they offer. Afterall, the seat is a "saddle."
Upholsterer is a good call as well. Try someone that recovers ATV or watercraft seats.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 9:50 pm

U can do it.. remove cover and trace on new vinyl

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I's fun to do if you have a little time and a staple gun. Also, you can take it to an automotive seat cover shop. They have machines that can stitch patterns if you want to get fancy.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:07 pm

I second the motion to take the seat to a tack and saddle shop. They will also be able to recover with leather if you prefer.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:42 am

I find myself in the same position, looking to have a repair done to a stock heated seat on my new-to-me '99 LT. A 1.5 inch split has opened, right under the right thigh area, along the fake heat-welded 'stitching'.

A repair guy said that, due to position, a patch-type repair of the slit wouldn't last and suggested having it recovered. At a local shop that does car interiors etc., they quoted me $200. We noted that the original covering is pop-riveted onto the frame, but online I've seen shots of staples being used. What do they staple into?

As to doing it myself: the only advice I've had from friends is that proper stretching of the vinyl is hard to do without experience, and they advised having the shop do it.

I've put less than 400 km on the bike since purchasing, so I'm in no position to judge whether it will be comfortable on long rides, or whether I'll want to get a 'custom' seat later. So far it fits my 6'/230 lbs just fine.

Any further advice about the DIY approach?
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay
I find myself in the same position, looking to have a repair done to a stock heated seat on my new-to-me '99 LT. A 1.5 inch split has opened, right under the right thigh area, along the fake heat-welded 'stitching'.

A repair guy said that, due to position, a patch-type repair of the slit wouldn't last and suggested having it recovered. At a local shop that does car interiors etc., they quoted me $200. We noted that the original covering is pop-riveted onto the frame, but online I've seen shots of staples being used. What do they staple into?

As to doing it myself: the only advice I've had from friends is that proper stretching of the vinyl is hard to do without experience, and they advised having the shop do it.

I've put less than 400 km on the bike since purchasing, so I'm in no position to judge whether it will be comfortable on long rides, or whether I'll want to get a 'custom' seat later. So far it fits my 6'/230 lbs just fine.

Any further advice about the DIY approach?
Most LT riders eventually buy a custom seat. I'd wait until you try a 4-500 mile day. My '05 caused "burning butt" after an hour or two. Since I've had my Rick Mayer seat the comfort has improved 100%. Only stop when I want to or for fuel. I would think that a seat covering without any foam mods shouldn't be very expensive; I paid $20 for the vinyl that I sent to RM.

Enjoy the ride,

Bruce
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Thanks for the advice, Bruce.
If it ever gets warm up here, I have a couple of appropriate rides in mind.

David
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 26th, 2009, 9:49 am
KJN

On this subject…

Found a good saddle maker in the Phoenix area. Guy Tieman at Guy’s Upolsery in Mesa. He builds saddles for a variety of street and custom bikes. He only uses a particular foam that has the best resiliency and insists on a test ride before covering the seat to allow for “tuning” the seat.

Reasonable price but not cheep. Good bang for the buck.

Kimble Neel
2000 K1200LT
Phoenix, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in