Final Drive Failure and Accident - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Final Drive Failure and Accident

I have only been riding a K1200LT (2000) for 3 years. I previously owned other types of bikes. And, I do really like the BMW. The previous owner, under warranty (27,000 miles), had a complete final drive rebuilt. I have attended CCR for the last 2 years. They have been very helpful and I have done my last two 12000 mile services. At the last CCR, I attended the class on the final drive and hope to do it again this year. Because of the informed membership, I make it a habit to read this forum on a regular basis.
As a relatively new member of BMW MOA, I came across a letter to the editor in the January 2009 BMW ON magazine. It was in the "rider to rider" letters to the editor section. I am writing a similar post to BMW MOA.
The letter was titled "MedJet Assist Comes Through." The author states, "...when at approximately 60 mph the drive shaft (rear end?) broke on our K1200LT, causing the rear wheel to lock and us to crash."
I have been following and reading about the many post regarding the final drive. Since I ride 2up (wife and granddaughter), I am concerned. Does anyone have any more information about the mechanical (lockup?) circumstances in this particular incident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Re: Final Drive Failure and Accident

I've seen that article as well.

I am not aware of any final drive failures resulting in a wheel lockup. The typical mode is either the fluid coming out through the seal or the bearing grinding down the case (noise, vibration and increased drag).

If the shaft broke, it could conceivably result in a lockup. That would be a very rare failure mode (to my knowledge).

It would be interesting to see what really happened, but as I understand, the rider did not get to investigate.

R.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 7:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

This letter was discussed in this thread from a month ago. There are some details in this post by the rider involved.

If you want more details, I'd suggest contacting the original rider.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 7:09 pm

When the final drive failed on my 2002 LT
we were going through the "Sunpass" lane of a tollbooth, (25-35mph)
as I accelerated it felt like I had a flat rear tire,
after inspecting the damage(oil seeping out)
I rode the bike (first and second gear) approximately 2 miles to the nearest dealer. (not recommended)

The only time I have ever had the rear end "lock up" on a motorcycle
is when the rear chain broke (while "speed" shifting from first to second) on my Harley
and wrapped itself around the rear wheel and sprocket.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the links "Meese". I went to them. Since I know the prior owner of my bike, I recall when he sold it to me that when the final drive was rebuilt he also had the drive shaft replaced. I am hoping that CCR will again give the final drive class.
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 3:43 pm

A year ago last November, while 200 miles from home, my FD let go with a resulting lock up. The darnedest thing about it was that I was experiencing a front tire tread separation at the same time. I rode the bike 30 miles to a dealer with the front tire problem. I had a vibration at 55 mph that I attributed to the front tire. The dealership replaced the front tire and the mechanic came back from his test ride saying that he thought my bike had rear end problems. I wasn't convinced. I did a thorough inspection of the rear end. There was no oil leakage and checking for side play (top to bottom and front to rear) revealed none at all. The wheel did seem a little stiff but smooth to turn by hand so were unsure and thought that might have been a dragging break. I took the bike out for a test ride and didn't even get 2 blocks when the rear tire locked up for about 5 feet at 35 mph. I believe that if it had stayed locked I would have went down since it also slid sideways about a foot. I slowly returned to the dealer and inspected the rear end again. Still no leak! It finally started leaking about an hour later.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 9:43 am

I had a 05 RT and I was overtaking a semi when u-joint between the drive shaft and the FD came apart. This caused the back wheel to lock up at approx 90 mph. I skidded to a stop. Got of, kissed the ground. SOLD the bike and bought a 09 LT

IBA #34229
09 LT
05 RT 65000 miles sold
2 FD Dead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in