Thank you all. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all.

Thank you all for your advice and counsel. I picked up my 2002 Titan Silver K1200 LT on Saturday in Enterprise, AL and rode her home to Flower Mound (780 miles). Thank you to StevenHebert for selling me his bike and for being a very graceous host in AL. Good luck finding a new bike. I am not going to rush into adding or changing a lot until I have a few thousand miles on her. My wife loves her and has named her the Silver Shadow after the Rolls Royce.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Thumbs up

Congrats!!!
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Cool

KOOL! I would encourage if you haven't yet to sign up for CCR, I was new last year and I regret not going cause I didn't know what it was about. I promise you will meet and become friends with some of the most incredible people you will ever meet. You can call on most any of them (us) and will recieve help in almost any endeaver you choose. Over the last year I have met many members here and it has been incredible, RTE's, Tech Sessions or just info about a new area.

My son was Xfered to Salt Lake City, found a member there and asked questions about SLC and it was excelent. Son now works and lives in SLC right downtown and 10 mins from work.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Congrats

Bo,

I know how you feel. I flew out to California Friday night, picked up my 02 LTE in Oakland on Saturday. I rode it my in-law's in Lodi - the long way around - mostly in the rain. I did discover that with the windshield in the right position you can keep pretty dry.

I'm interested to hear about your trip. I'm looking to ride mine back in a few weeks when I can find the right weather along the route. It's 1800 miles, via Bakersfield, Phoenix and el Paso. Looks like some long days but, I'm really looking forward to it.

Les
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Lunch?

Les,
I am looking to join the LT "club" too. When i can find time to get away I am going to test ride an LT. A few weeks ago I visited Plano dealership and he had no LT's, so I rode an RT. I really liked it but I can only get one bike!

Anyhow, when you make your trip I live in Odessa, about half way between El Paso and Justin. You will be ready for gas and maybe a break by that time. I would be happy to buy you lunch/dinner in exchange for you sharing your LT shopping and trip experience. I don't know any LT riders here. If you are interested in that, email me before you leave and I will give you contact info.

Lynn
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
Thank you all for your advice and counsel. I picked up my 2002 Titan Silver K1200 LT on Saturday in Enterprise, AL and rode her home to Flower Mound (780 miles). Thank you to StevenHebert for selling me his bike and for being a very graceous host in AL. Good luck finding a new bike. I am not going to rush into adding or changing a lot until I have a few thousand miles on her. My wife loves her and has named her the Silver Shadow after the Rolls Royce.
Is this your first???
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:23 pm

a hearty congratulations from another very new BMW owner! May you motor happily over the hills and dales of our continent for the rest of your life!
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Yes this is my first BMW and this is my first heavy bike. I have had Sport Touring bikes and standard bikes but the LT is much bigger. I have ridden things like the Triumph Rocket 3 but the LT is much more comfortable and better for 2 up.

The trip back from Alabama was only 780 miles, and I stopped in Meridian, MS on Saturday night because I got a late start. I didn't want to be out on the road at night in MS on a bike that I had never ridden before. Also there were numerous deer dead on the side of the road, not a good place to ride at night. Above 40F I was fine, but when it got below 40 I wasn't prepared with the right gear. When I took off Sunday it was 31F and I got pretty cold but about 10:00 it warmed up and I was fine. The heated grips and saddle were great, and the wind screen protects you very well. The radio works great, I could hear it the whole time. I got very poor gas mileage according to the bike computer, however I am not sure that it is accurate.

This is a great bike for riding long distances, you should have any trouble riding 1800 miles over a long weekend.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Lunch

Lynn,

Lunch sounds like a plan. I'm sure I will be ready for break by then. It will be a few weeks. I don't have the date pinned down. It won't be this weekend but, any time after that, it will depend om the weather. I'll let you know before I leave.

Last time I was in there, the BMW dealer in Hurst had two new LTs in stock but no used ones. You didn't say which you were looking for.

Thanks

Les
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 9:56 pm

New LT ride

This was the first long ride on my new 2006 K1200LT. My last ride was a RT1100 (loved it). My wife and I always ride 2 up so we only could step up to the LT. Purchased on 12/28/2006 Yep Santa left a clump of coal again in my stocking... Go figure... Had to purchase it my self... Live in Abuquerque NN and needed to make a trip before the snow set in.. Tucson ???? might work for the long weekend. Saturday morning 23 degrees Ouch !!! We needed to have an excuse to get the oil changed in Tucson (Iron Horse BMW) Once we made it over the freezing temp , all was good. Tucson was warm and very nice. Had an appointment with John at Iron Horse (did not know they had 2 John's in the service department ). I would recommend this shop to anyone. Any way we had a great time in Tucson..... This shop is #1 in my book. Anyone traveling through need to stop by.. Along story short... Both my wife and myself truly believe the LT is the real deal.....

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #11 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Les, will consider new but leaning toward an '05 used. Look forward to seeing you.
Lynn
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Les,
I am leaning toward used probably an '05. Look forward to seeing you.
Lynn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in