new/old LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Question new/old LT

I am considering purchasing a 2003 K1200LT with 145 mi. on the clock, yep, has been sitting in storage for the last five years. I have always been a RT rider so not very familiar with the K models, question is the owner installed a new battery so I could take it on a test ride, noticed the ABS in fault mode, could this be due to the battery swap? Or low brake fluid level or ??????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Re: new/old LT

I would guess that sitting for that long has had some bad effects on the master cylinder, ABS unit etc with moisture being accumulated into the brake fluid. Could be an expensive fix or you might be lucky in just doing a flush!
Is the brake fluid low?

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I would plan on changing all fluids. It is surprising that the fuel pump is working after sitting in old gas for 5 yrs.

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Gold Supporter

I had an o3 lt , congrates on the find, id recomend several things, new battery,fluids ALL,NEW TIRES DONT RELY on stiff carcasses hardened rubber.....good luck matthew
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:16 am

Wink Re: new/old LT

When you say you noticed the ABS in fault mode you are talking about after you had the Bike moving, right? Because the lights will normally flash when you first start up the Bike.

Just asking.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by longryder
I am considering purchasing a 2003 K1200LT with 145 mi. on the clock, yep, has been sitting in storage for the last five years. I have always been a RT rider so not very familiar with the K models, question is the owner installed a new battery so I could take it on a test ride, noticed the ABS in fault mode, could this be due to the battery swap? Or low brake fluid level or ??????????

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Fault mode upon turning the ignition on, alternating flashing ABS lights.
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:35 pm

I say buy it and take to dealer and have all the matinance done and put on new rubber.....you will have a new bike!

Then ride it like ya stole it!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:49 pm

The fault light flashes until you get her moving, then it should go out.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 5:34 pm

You may encounter problems with drying/leaking engine seals in addition to possible hydraulic fluid leaks from brakes, shocks, etc. Possibly the owner will allow you to take the bike to a dealer for a pre-purchase checkup. Also, take the bike for an extended ride, take it back to the owner and inconspicously arrange to return within a day or two under the premise of "seriously considering the bike". This will provide you with an opportunity to discover any oil puddles/leaks under the bike as long as the owner does not have anything to hide.

I personally would be more comfortable purchasing a bike with 20K-30K on the odometer..... such a bike would probably not have sat idle for more than a month.

This may be a terrific buy....proceed cautiously.
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 6:19 pm

You might ride it for a while then turn it off and restart it and see if the ABS doesn't work right...

Other than that, I'd knock off two grand for the ABS issue and if the price is right buy it.. Then you can take it in and let the dealer fix it...

You could have a bad abs pump or just a low battery on startup..

If the price is worth a complete teardown, new seals and clutch, then go ahead and do it..

You might get a golden bike. Or you might get a lemon cause it's been setting.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 6:57 pm

You are not saying what the price is, as this would make a difference because of potential issues caused by sitting for so long.

If you decide to buy it I would suggest a technical session somewhere in SOCAL. You buy the parts, food and drinks for the new friends you will be making and who will show you how to maintain the bike without paying the expensive labor to a dealer!

Are you good with a wrench?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 13 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

I would like to thank all that replied, I will be purchasing the LT, I will have the dealer give it the once over.
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 4:10 am

Wink Re: new/old LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
You are not saying what the price is, as this would make a difference because of potential issues caused by sitting for so long.

If you decide to buy it I would suggest a technical session somewhere in SOCAL. You buy the parts, food and drinks for the new friends you will be making and who will show you how to maintain the bike without paying the expensive labor to a dealer!

Are you good with a wrench?

Don't buy it! It would be wrong to get a new LT with half price (without knowing what price is).

Sure there are some theoretical issues concerning sealings etc. but after testdrive you should notice already if there are any major problems.

Actually I do not believe that there is anything in it. Definately I would take it immediately. Maintenance is must immediately as well. All liquids to be changed. Most critical is brake fluid, which might cause ABS warning lights flashing. But this is easy to find out by changing fluids and reading faulty codes afterwards.

Regards
Jukka

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in