Where to get BMW style elect connectors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

Where to get BMW style elect connectors

Do I have to go to the dealer to get new connectors that match the wiring harness? The application is a 2000 LT. I am going to upgrade the audio, & adding GPS and intercom.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:27 am
Some guy on the Interwebs

Re: Where to get BMW style elect connectors

Check out our own Raffy's website, everything that you may need.

http://www.motogear4you.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=12

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. What I looking for are the various connectors that are used in the factory harness. There are a few areas where I want to use or reuse points on the harness but I don't want to butcher it. If they are not available I'll use an aux fuse block.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 3:07 pm

They aren't easy to come by. I've found some of them through Amp Special Industries but getting them is a hassle. It requires an account with Amp and both minimum total and line item purchases. There are some retailers that carry Amp but they rarely have the connectors we need. To further complicate your effort Amp moved away from a 'Master' catalog due to the huge variety of connectors they manufacture to individual product line catalogs so coming up with part numbers is a major effort. If you want to get creative the pins you can buy from various suppliers for Amps circular and Molex style rectangular connectors are compatible with some of our connectors. I have modified similar connectors to work in a pinch.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

OK. That sums it up pretty much. I'll look for a harness from salvage to hack up.
Thanks

post #6 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Hello Yamadog

Pinwall cycleparts on Ebay has an wiring harness for sale ,not cheep enough for me to cut for parts. I would try internet search for Allied Electronics and or Newark Electronics not sure if either one will sell without an account .

Bob G
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
Hello Yamadog

Pinwall cycleparts on Ebay has an wiring harness for sale ,not cheep enough for me to cut for parts. I would try internet search for Allied Electronics and or Newark Electronics not sure if either one will sell without an account .

Bob G
I may be wrong but im sure some BMW cars have simaler connectors on the harness.
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

I walked into the local electronics supply house and walked right to the AMP connector I was looking for...it was the only one they had and had been opened and resealed...I guess it was meant to be. I went ahead and ordered a Centech fuse block with a total of 5 ATC fuses. 3 are switched to ignition through a 30amp relay and 2 are direct to the battery for full time use. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...t.asp?Item=CEN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in