Electric Shifter: Anybody Interested? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Electric Shifter: Anybody Interested?

All, I've been speaking with Pingel about a shifter for my VTX (drag racing that is) and they noted they just released one for the Goldwing crowd. Ref: http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_goldwing.htm

My question is..would you all like to see one for the LT?

For those that don't know how these work...there is small bracket mounted to the inside of your left handgrip with two buttons. The upper one is for upshifting and the lower one is for downshifting. When you are ready to shift, motor at the desired rpm, you depress the upshift button and the unit will send a disrupt signal to the coils thus allowing the tranny gears time to synch up such that the unit will move the tranny into the next gear safely without letting off the throttle.

They have a universal setup that will work today. What I'd like them to do is build a specific setup for our LT that is a direct bolt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:58 pm

When you get too lazy to shift gears manually -get a Buick
Drag bike or racing bike OK- not for street-I know
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcanup
Just a little food for thought . . . there just MIGHT be a few older, or injured, or handicapped people that would find this mod VERY "helpful".

However; like you, I do not see the average Joe needing this mod. And if racing's your game, I would want a quickshifter. Not a manually-operated electric hickymajigger doo-dad.

And just so you don't misunderstand me...I am not offended by your post. I just don't think you thought through all the possible uses for this add-on.

Last edited by messenger13; Jan 16th, 2006 at 3:23 pm.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:36 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
So I shouldn't consider putting one of these on a 4-wheeler or dirtbike for my handicapped son? Thanks for the heads-up. I'll tell him to quit being "lazy". .....
Joe, Joe, Joe.....JUST a bit over-the-top with that one. We both know that's not what he meant.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:37 pm

I apologize if I offended anyone.Not my intention.Any mods for disabled or handicapped I applaud, but that was not mentioned in you post.Drag racing IS my cup of tea but we use MSD ignition and revlimiters with air and electric shifters.Like I said I didnt mean a thing disrespectful to anyone.If I comment or post on this board and have to dodge the flaming I guess I need to go somewhere else.
post #6 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And just so you don't misunderstand me...I am not offended by your post.
I don't think I could've been any more clear than that. I am the UNOFFENDABLE! And I didn't mean to offend you. Just trying to stir up a little thought as to whom could be interested in such a mod.

As for you Billy...shut up!
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Joe, Joe, Joe.....JUST a bit over-the-top with that one. We both know that's not what he meant.
Post edited. Sorry if I came across too harshly. I didn't mean to...honest!
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03LTC
All, I've been speaking with Pingel about a shifter for my VTX (drag racing that is) and they noted they just released one for the Goldwing crowd. Ref: http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_goldwing.htm

They have a universal setup that will work today. What I'd like them to do is build a specific setup for our LT that is a direct bolt on.
Sure would solve the continuing problem of quality control w/ the clutch slave cylinder…

Of course that would reduce the possibility of slave cylinder failure by 80% since the OEM clutch set-up would only be used for first gear. Not to mention saving money for biennial clutch repairs.
post #9 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Wink Electric Shifter

Quote:
I apologize if I offended anyone.Not my intention.Any mods for disabled or handicapped I applaud, but that was not mentioned in you post.Drag racing IS my cup of tea but we use MSD ignition and revlimiters with air and electric shifters.Like I said I didnt mean a thing disrespectful to anyone.If I comment or post on this board and have to dodge the flaming I guess I need to go somewhere else.

Bill, don't think nothing about the flames, with 6000+ members, you mention watermelon or ice cream and someone will shoot a flaming arrow at you!!!
post #10 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Being lazy is good. Lazy people invent ways to do things easier. It's a kind of less work more play ethic.
post #11 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Quote:

I know you meant this in jest, but there are many handi cap that need this type of setup, I have built several bikes set up for disabled riders, we actullyhad one unit that would find neutral

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 7:55 pm

When I get lazy I get fat .Cant afford that
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:52 pm

I had a 1976 Moto Guzzi Convert LAPD model witch had a semi auto transmission. Coupled with a Sachs torque converter and a High and Low range gear box. Sure was a hoot to ride. Low range was good up too 80 mph. This thing was like riding a 1000cc moped. Off the line it would kick some H.D. butt due the fact there was no shifting involved. Wish I hadn't sold that bike. Auto shift can be very cool....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:52 pm

I think its interesting....foot shifting in traffic (like on I-40 duh) when on a trip totally sucks, and it really wrecks my cool looking boots (cause I don't use those nifty but UGLY A-- boots like some of you BMW guys use). More info if you please....sounds like it might eliminate some other mechanical issues further down the road too that I hav'nt had to deal with yet.....

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:22 am

Ya know, I gotta wonder if the fancy computo brain of an LT would tolerate an interuption of the ignition coils like that.

I'd think I'd like to know such an electric shift woldn't frag my MCU first.

Any thoughts?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #16 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:41 am

Why not a full automatic - modern auto boxes are light years ahead of where they were even a few years ago. My BMW 328i has a 5 speed auto with a 'winter' mode for changing up at lower revs and a 'sport' mode which will only change up at the redline if you keep the throttle down.

I reckon it changes gear as well or better than I could manage in a manual.
The greatest benefit is in stop and go traffic. On the freeway you hardly change gear at all anyway.

I'll never buy another car with a manual box.

The only disadvantage I can see is that you cannot 'slip' the clutch for fast take-off. But we don't do that on an LT anyway
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 5:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03LTC

For those that don't know how these work...there is small bracket mounted to the inside of your left handgrip with two buttons. The upper one is for upshifting and the lower one is for downshifting. When you are ready to shift, motor at the desired rpm, you depress the upshift button and the unit will send a disrupt signal to the coils thus allowing the tranny gears time to synch up such that the unit will move the tranny into the next gear safely without letting off the throttle.

Al: all options are good. This will not be a strange optional item in a few years. I say yes. Jim
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Should Pingel decide to make a out of box fit version, they would need a local LT to work with. The are located in Adams Wi. 53910. Do we have anyone nearby there?
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Ya know, I gotta wonder if the fancy computo brain of an LT would tolerate an interuption of the ignition coils like that.

I'd think I'd like to know such an electric shift woldn't frag my MCU first.

Any thoughts?
I have to believe not. It is not feeding back any energy to the computer and certainly doesn't have any inputs to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in