Upgraded Throttle Cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Upgraded Throttle Cable

Two months till this brutal NY winter is over then back on the LT

I have the old sticky throttle setup and I want to replace it with the newer mechanism so the throttle wont stick and I dont risk the cable breaking (again). I'm just not sure what part I need, or how the new one looks like vs. the old one.

I've got an 02 LT - this is the only part that's not "mechanically perfect" so I want to get it replaced!

Can someone pls point me to the part I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:44 pm

Re: Upgraded Throttle Cable

This is something that is easily done when you have her torn apart for a 12K service. Just get the cable retrofit kit from the dealer. It'll cost you about $140.00 though! I got these parts:

32737694490 Throttle
32737694491 Throttle Cable
32727691990 Repair Kit K12LT Handle

You'll like the upgrade, works like butter!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 2:06 am
Super Moderator

Upgrade will require you to cut hole in the bottom right side handle bar cover. Find another LT that has it cut so you can get an idea on the size of the hole and location . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:10 am

The last thing I did on my '00 LT before the snow flew just before Thanksgiving was replace the throttle and cruise control cables. I haven't even been able to ride it since then. In my experience, it was not an easy job. It was very tedious and took long time. It was torn apart for a couple of weeks, of course most of that time was waiting for correct cruise cable to show up. Even though I did not take off the throttle bodies or the air box, there is a lot of stuff that has to come off. The hand grip mods went very smoothly and quickly following the terrific directions found on this site. Down at the engine end of the cable I used a set of pics to get the cables attached. Just be patient and take it slow.

Dave Granzin
Penn Yan, NY

'03 K1200LT
'05 R1200RT
'00 K1200LT (Killed by Bambi attack)
'04 R1150GS (traded for RT)
'87 K100RS (sold)
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:53 pm

My throttle cables were replaced in Nov. Two members in our region were kind enough to come by and lend a hand.

I have found the throttle to be pretty stiff, still, but nothing like it was. Before the swap, the throttle would stay where you put it. Now, it snaps closed and its action is much smoother. In my opinion, well worth the time and money.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgg155
The last thing I did on my '00 LT before the snow flew just before Thanksgiving was replace the throttle and cruise control cables. I haven't even been able to ride it since then. In my experience, it was not an easy job. It was very tedious and took long time. It was torn apart for a couple of weeks, of course most of that time was waiting for correct cruise cable to show up. Even though I did not take off the throttle bodies or the air box, there is a lot of stuff that has to come off. The hand grip mods went very smoothly and quickly following the terrific directions found on this site. Down at the engine end of the cable I used a set of pics to get the cables attached. Just be patient and take it slow.
I nearly removed the fuel rail (per manual) to do this. The cable end is in a bear of a location. Was able to get to the connection using a very long pair of hemostats (luckily, we have some "medical-types" in the family).

As I recall, the biggest PITA was removing the airbox (actually, putting it back on). You do have to be careful when putting it back on to make sure none of the clamps are not hanging up the throttle.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in