What the manual doesnt tell you. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:48 am Thread Starter

What the manual doesnt tell you.

Hi All
I have a 2005 LT that just turned 10k miles. Question is. Should I be doing anything in the way of general maintainance or preventive maintainance. Lubricating parts like the hydraulic center stand, moving parts or other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: What the manual doesnt tell you.

Regularly do the 12/6 and 3/9 o'clock shake on the rear wheel, making sure there is no play whatsoever.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:43 am

Grease and oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do on any vehicle.
Go around and look things over; I usually incorporate it with a general cleaning session. If something looks like it needs attention..........jump on it.........There is no set schedule for when anything is going to break or work it's way loose...........sometimes you can find a lot of things that just need the turn of a wrench now, but could turn into a major PI *$$ later;

B-Safe and always look for the little things........................

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:53 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
Hi All
I have a 2005 LT that just turned 10k miles. Question is. Should I be doing anything in the way of general maintainance or preventive maintainance. Lubricating parts like the hydraulic center stand, moving parts or other?
Shift linkage!!! Grease and make sure all is tight. I would pull the linkage , disassemble it all , grease everything, then reinstall. Check it every 12k

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:34 am

10K???...............Riding it

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Shift linkage!!! Grease and make sure all is tight. I would pull the linkage , disassemble it all , grease everything, then reinstall. Check it every 12k
And be sure to get the shift linkage in back, to the tranny.

Anybody mention lubing the side stand? Amazing how slick those thangs work after some attention.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:14 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I pull the center stand (not the ECH unit) and clean all pivots and re-lube at every 12K. This helps reduce stress on the actuator. I periodically check the free movement of the stand when she is on the side stand. If it binds even a tiny bit I pull, clean and re-lube the pivots.

Ditto on the shift linkage and any thing else I wish to have move freely.

I also check all the points on visible wiring harnesses when I have her apart for regular maintenance. I look for chaffing and any worn spots.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:23 am

Oh, and while you're in there: pull any electrical fittings apart and put a dab of dielectric grease on them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Oh, and while you're in there: pull any electrical fittings apart and put a dab of dielectric grease on them.
Good idea Grif...........I forgot to do that..............Jim
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all. I will start doing some lubing and riding. Acually I bout the bike used with 6 k miles last spring and did get a few miles on it this summer. I live in Va. Beach and choose my riding times and places carefully. When I drove the bike off the lot in Atanta and jumped on I-285 in 5pm traffic it was easier and safer than driving in Va. Beach to work 6 miles away at 45mph.
People in this town are either 100 years old driving a Town Car or 17 years old talking on cell phones. They act like tail gating is something you are supposed to do. Anyway thats my excuse for lack of miles this summer.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:03 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
And be sure to get the shift linkage in back, to the tranny.

Anybody mention lubing the side stand? Amazing how slick those thangs work after some attention.
I lube my side stand with marine grease that I use on my outboard. And after a 300 or more mile ride in the rain on the hwy. I can tell the first time I use the side stand its ready for more lube.

That same grease last all year on my 50mph pontoon.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in