Dropped her today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Dropped her today

Well I always hoped this day would not come, but I am proud to be part an elite group of fellow LT riders who have all said, crap (insert other word here).
I was trying to get used to the big gril after a 7 month off time after a work injury. Got too slow in a tight practice turn and over she went. Not too much damage, just scrapes really.
Thank you to the person who posted the instructional video on how to pick the girl up. .
All ok, still headn to the Starke Rally on a couple of week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:36 pm

Re: Dropped her today

You can breathe a sigh of relief now - it's been dropped and you can stop worrying about it.

Welcome to Droppers Anonymous!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:40 pm

Howard, you need to get out West! Chuckle!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)

post #4 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Don't feel bad until you've dropped her twice, in the same day, with your wife aboard.
post #5 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:13 am

Welcome to the club!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #6 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle
Don't feel bad until you've dropped her twice, in the same day, with your wife aboard.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Dropped her today

There are two types of LTs. Those that have been down and those that will be. Personally I've never met an owner from group 2. Welcome to group 1 where I have been a member for quite some time.

post #8 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:29 am

Talking Re: Dropped her today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhaus1
Well I always hoped this day would not come, but I am proud to be part an elite group of fellow LT riders who have all said, crap (insert other word here).
I was trying to get used to the big gril after a 7 month off time after a work injury. Got too slow in a tight practice turn and over she went. Not too much damage, just scrapes really.
Thank you to the person who posted the instructional video on how to pick the girl up. .
All ok, still headn to the Starke Rally on a couple of week.
Anyone/Everyone has or will drop her, the important part and there should be a group of (I had to pick up the heavy @#$%@)
post #9 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:46 am

Quote:
x1.....she threatened to walk!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #10 of 33 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Got a call that my new rear tire is on, and the foot brake pedal is straightened out. I did the best thing after I dropped her, picked her up and started all over again practicing tight turns. I really need to ride more, but the wife is against me duct-taping the children (4 &3) to the back seat.
post #11 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 6:59 am

Greetings jkhous and well done.

Now that she's been over, you should be over your phobia about the whole possibility right! I bet you were surprised how little damage she sustained too....I hope. Those tip-over bars do an awesome job if you and your bike aren't moving at a great rate of knots. If you are on the move, well it's destructo time for quite a bit of the plastic body work and even perhaps bar ends and mirror pods too if you're unlucky.

All we can say is get down and clean up as many scratches and scapes as you can, climb back aboard and get down to doing what that big German girl does best.

Welcome to our club my friend gravity is not a myth.

Paul Harrington
aUStrAlia

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #12 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:57 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Dropped her today

I was going along about 5 mph when she went down. Bent the foot brake pedal, scrape on the plastic just infront of the pedal and also scraped the crome on the right saddle bag. Battle scars is what I am calling them. And all of you guys are right. Now that I have lost my ''no drop viginity'' I can move along and enjoy it now. Ride safe all.

John
AKA; Hoot
post #13 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 4:47 pm

ER.. UM.. I prefer to call the drops "M&M's".
Motor Medals.
*holds chest proudly out* I gots em too!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #14 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 6:34 pm

Dropped Trinity while coming out of the dealership. Took less time than Andromeda. I dropped her for the first time 2 km away from the dealership when I stopped with the wheel turned (my first reality check that 800 pounds is heavier than the puny 250 pounds of the 600cc I rode).

The fact that I dropped Trinity faster than Andromeda is, of course, is the fruit of practice
post #15 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphysicist
Dropped Trinity while coming out of the dealership. Took less time than Andromeda. I dropped her for the first time 2 km away from the dealership when I stopped with the wheel turned (my first reality check that 800 pounds is heavier than the puny 250 pounds of the 600cc I rode).

The fact that I dropped Trinity faster than Andromeda is, of course, is the fruit of practice
Well ...now that it is out of the way... Enjoy !!

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #16 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:23 pm

I rode my bike to work about a week after I bought it and was so impressed with myself when I did a pretty tight uturn missing the curb by inches and stopping right in the center of the parking spot. Put the side stand down and a second later she was headed over. I was pretty embarrassed and I think the adrenaline was flowing pretty good because I picked it right up. I did slightly pull a muscle in my back but no big deal. Then I read here that you don't park in neutral and you can easily pick it up once you have seen the video on how to do it. A guy should read this kind of stuff here before he learns the hard way. After dropping it I felt like I was going to drop it every time I rode slow. Now, after quite a few miles I don't ever feel that fear anymore. I was thinking I had made a big mistake buying the LT but now I wouldn't want any other bike.

So, that is my drop story. Welcome to the club.
post #17 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 8:46 pm

I too have dropped my LT. (the 2003) and just today I got an '09 LT....do I need to worry that I'll be dropping this bike too?

The question is, does the "drop" go with the owner, or the bike?

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

post #18 of 33 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
I too have dropped my LT. (the 2003) and just today I got an '09 LT....do I need to worry that I'll be dropping this bike too?

I beg this question= are there any witnesses?
if not- tie goes to the bike!

if so- then its medal pinning time!
I had witnesses.. including the GF that backed over me... hmmm does that one count as well?

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #19 of 33 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

That depends. If the owner was in contact with the bike at the time, then the drop stays with the owner. If the LT dropped by itself (as I saw once in a video), then it stays with the bike.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 33 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Just after getting mine I pulled up to an intersection, dead stop. The front wheel was turned and over she went. There was a power crew near by whom watched me pick it up by myself then asked if I needed help?... No damage other than I felt like a smuck. Later I found out there are those who have and those who will, anyone else is a liar.
post #21 of 33 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Here is a different twist on the "dropped bike" event.

I think that people who ride LT's really have to have tremendous skill in mastering the bikes weight, handling, power, systems and dynamics. Yes, most of us have ridden or owned RT's, or GT's and other lighter models, but the LT really requires a seperate set of skills. It requires confidence in riding, balance, nimble throttle control and astute breaking. Many times when I am on the LT and have to make a tight turn or angled breaking and such, when I complete the manuver I am proud of myself and it inspires confidence. I am not talking about "pride goes before a fall," I am talking about each manuver as a building block increasing our training, skills and experience.

No one likes it when their bike goes over. It sounds like it happens to the best of us riders. Besides the pride issue and potential damage, it does teach us our about the bikes and our limitations and hopefully a better way to deal with the manuver next time.

Just some thoughts.
post #22 of 33 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Why not just get a Bike that has a better CofG.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #23 of 33 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 5:29 pm

There are two types of LT owners:
1- Those who admit to dropping their LT.
2- Those who lie about it.

post #24 of 33 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 9:39 am

Quote:
Been there done that . The second time my wife actually said "not again"
post #25 of 33 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:47 am

Knock on wood - I've never ever dropped a bike, and I've got like 60k miles under my belt and about 15k on the LT, and I ride mostly in NYC.
post #26 of 33 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Dropped mine twice in the first month. Now after 6000 miles I feel very comfortable with the balance.
post #27 of 33 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:18 am

Quote:

Be careful ... on my new LT the center stand is definitely shorter than the 05 ... this means the bike gets up on the stand much easier but it comes off very easy too. You should park it on a level floor and check ... that rear wheel is barely off the ground. This is most probably good for the mechanics of the stand but parking on uneven surface can make the end result extremely unstable

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #28 of 33 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 11:19 am

Garage

Why is everyone so much concerned of dropping an LT, just because it's heavier than the others?

I've had other bikes before, large or small, and I've dropped them all: the Cagiva Navigator 1000 for parking near a large hole, the Kawa ZX10 on a dirty roadside, the "ultra-light" Guzzi V35 in a tight turn... heck! I even dropped my moped several times

It happens, with any bike. I've only made 5,000Km on my LT but it will happen on her as well, it's only a matter of time

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #29 of 33 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
Why is everyone so much concerned of dropping an LT, just because it's heavier than the others?

I've had other bikes before, large or small, and I've dropped them all: the Cagiva Navigator 1000 for parking near a large hole, the Kawa ZX10 on a dirty roadside, the "ultra-light" Guzzi V35 in a tight turn... heck! I even dropped my moped several times

It happens, with any bike. I've only made 5,000Km on my LT but it will happen on her as well, it's only a matter of time
I agree--any bike...at any moment can fall victim to the drop. Do I try my best not to? Sure...but sometimes my best is not good enough.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #30 of 33 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 7:28 am

Hi All
I've found through experience that if you want to get the " drop" out of the way, ride the big girl in loose gravel. If it's not paved stay off !! this is especially true with a passenger.

Mark
2004 K1200LT(black/silver)
post #31 of 33 Old Feb 13th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMPA
Hi All
I've found through experience that if you want to get the " drop" out of the way, ride the big girl in loose gravel. If it's not paved stay off !! this is especially true with a passenger.
Or you could just park her on paved level ground, put her in neutral, engine on, with the side stand down and back away... and don't give into the temptation to catch her to keep her from falling. You'll only hurt yourself!
post #32 of 33 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 1:00 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
as a proof of my sentence above... I've just dropped mine :-)

it took 11,000 Km and 9 months, but I joined the club.

It didn't really fall, I just tried a U-turn too tight and at 80% of it my front wheel touched the curb (the road was apparently too narrow for a u-turn!!). I think I had a similar drop with the Cagiva years ago.

No scratches at all, the rubber protection wings did their job properly. I've just let her down slowly and avoided major troubles to the bike and to my back...

I must admit that I'm more relaxed now that I know how it happens ;-)

PS: I even managed to bring it up again with the proper method!!

Cheers

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #33 of 33 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:47 am

I've dropped every bike I've owned, dropped a few I didn't, and I believe that it is the way of the world. Went to a breakfast in Stockbridge, MI and a muddy R bike was parked on it's side, no stand. I thought, "now thats the way to do it" , did I drop it or lay it over? Just remember, its not the last one made, drop the bike, don't hurt yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in