Odysse Battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 4:10 am Thread Starter

Odysse Battery

I have a two year old Odysee battery. I just added some PIAA lights and changed the air filter - checked the valves ... went for a ride to friends house and now bike will not start. There is enough juice to run the lights and fan but the engine will not turn over. When I jump it the battery wants to draw a lot of amps. More than it should. With the ignition off I attach the red side and then go to attach the black and get so much spark it wants to weld to the post. Yet I can leave the bike overnight with the alarm on and it will have the same amount of juice in the morning. I am assuming that this is a characteristic of dry cell batterys. Am I correct?

Michael L. Lempenau
85/41 Moo7, T.Nongjom, A.Sunsai
Chiang Mai, 50210, Thailand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:18 am

Re: Odysse Battery

That sounds like something is drawing a lot of current when the switch is off.
Not a battery problem. I would check the lights you put on.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:28 am

Disconnect the battery negative cable, connect the battery charger positive lead, then try connecting the charger negative lead to the battery and then negative cable. That will tell you where the high current draw is. If it sparks heavily on the battery, then this is the problem. If it is to the negative cable, then there is something wrong with the bike's electrical system.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:30 am

Mike, something is definitely wrong. I would disconnect the PIAA's and see if thats the problem. Also I would want to know way the fan is running, it should only run when engine temp. is up. I would just disconnect the lights you added and go from there.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:36 pm

I had a similar issue: I completely drained the battery by forgetting my IPOD on. I started the bike by jumping from another. But from that point on I never had enough juice for more than two days: If I leave the bike unridden for two days it would not start on the third day. It is Odysse and about year and a half old. I finally called the Odysse. I was told to get the Odysee 6amp charger and charge it once month. The reason is that Odysse needs 14.7volt alternator system to fully charge the battery whereas most alternator systems in the market are 14.2 volts. This made sense to me. I should receive the charger some time this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlempenau
I have a two year old Odysee battery. I just added some PIAA lights and changed the air filter - checked the valves ... went for a ride to friends house and now bike will not start. There is enough juice to run the lights and fan but the engine will not turn over. When I jump it the battery wants to draw a lot of amps. More than it should. With the ignition off I attach the red side and then go to attach the black and get so much spark it wants to weld to the post. Yet I can leave the bike overnight with the alarm on and it will have the same amount of juice in the morning. I am assuming that this is a characteristic of dry cell batterys. Am I correct?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 9:07 am

I'm on my second Odyssey (PC680). The first one died what seemed an instantaneous death. Was about two years old.
Mid summer-had taken a day-ride on a saturday. Put the bike up, came back to it the next saturday - wouldn't start. Battery was totally dead. N0 hint of problem when I put it away the week before.

I admit I neglected to have a routine charging regiment. I did use a Battery Tender Jr. to maintain during the winter months.

After some research, felt the best thing to do was purchase the Odyssey Ultimizer (6amp version). http://www.odysseyfactory.com/chargers.html

Could have been just a bad battery, but could have been due to neglect and inappropriate charging.

Bob
01 LT - Toscana Green
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 3:28 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallory
I'm on my second Odyssey (PC680). The first one died what seemed an instantaneous death. Was about two years old.
I guess I'm lucky... Mine finally died just as suddenly (well, won't hold a charge over night) after 4 1/2 years... and I never used a charger on it unless I needed to, and even then I never used the Odyssey specific charger (used a Deltran Battery Tender, even though the Odyssey website says they can't charge a deep discharged battery). I would think that ANY charger capable of 14-15V would be OK for the battery, and at that, is only needed if the battery has been discharged significantly.

Funny is that Odyssey lists this battery as 8-12 years of operational life!

Again - lucky I guess (knocks on wood...)!!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in