Video Camera Mount - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Video Camera Mount

I am trying to design and fabricate a very small platform/mount for a helmet cam on the dash of my 2000 LT. Does anyone have pictures of how the different accessory shelves attach to the dash? Do most of them use existing screws? I have seen pictures of accessory shelves, however none have been detailed enough to see how they attach.

I have mounted the camera on the tip over wing but would prefer the dash location.

Thanks,

Sean

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 8:31 pm

Re: Video Camera Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokebadgers
I am trying to design and fabricate a very small platform/mount for a helmet cam on the dash of my 2000 LT. Does anyone have pictures of how the different accessory shelves attach to the dash? Do most of them use existing screws? I have seen pictures of accessory shelves, however none have been detailed enough to see how they attach.

I have mounted the camera on the tip over wing but would prefer the dash location.

Thanks,

Sean
Here is something from A&S that ole Toad wears. Doesn't require any modification to the bike, other than removing a coupla screws just inside the windshield arms - attach the shelf brackets there, and reinstall the screws. I mounted a leetle cushiony thang between the dash top and the shelf to minimize bounce and shake. Not sure how you're gonna attach the helmet cam - velcro maybe??

Shameless plug for/from me - I've about decided to dis-own my shelf, as the only thang on it is the SmarTire monitor and an XM radio (which I never listen to). If I can decide where to mount the SmarTire monitor, then I'll have no use for the shelf. I spray painted it to match the dash color, butt it's repaintable. Black wuz OEM color.

If you don't find a suitable shelf, ping me and we'll talk $$ and sense!!
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Dick,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at that shelf and was thinking of making something similar. I only need a 2"x3" rectangle of metal which will have a hole drilled to fit a camera tripod screw. The camera footprint is about 1.5"x2".

Does that shelf only attach to the windshield arms and not to the dash itself? I see the supports in the picture but not the attachment point.

BTW, Dick, those winter gloves I got from you were too tight for my big nasty grabbers but my daughters boyfriend likes them. Funny, he tried them and I haven't seen them since.

Sean

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Dick,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at that shelf and was thinking of making something similar. I only need a 2"x3" rectangle of metal which will have a hole drilled to fit a camera tripod screw. The camera footprint is about 1.5"x2".

Does that shelf only attach to the windshield arms and not to the dash itself? I see the supports in the picture but not the attachment point.
Yep, just to the two fairing nose cone screws that are just inside the w/s arms. It's gonna be a bigger shelf than you need, I think.

Quote:
BTW, Dick, those winter gloves I got from you were too tight for my big nasty grabbers but my daughters boyfriend likes them. Funny, he tried them and I haven't seen them since.
Hmmm - well, at least they're not just setting around, like they did here!! Glad he can use 'em.

Good luck on the shelf project, Sean.
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:12 pm

Quote:

Thanks,

Sean
Check out how my videos turned out... if you like I will forward the info on how to make.

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #6 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:41 pm

Don't know what kind of video camera you use. I have a Sony digital (hand held sort of deal), and just got a GoPro Hero (see photo). I don't like the shelfs, so took mine off, and made my own camera mount. It was first designed for the digital, then I tweaked it to handle the GoPro base. Hope you can see how it's done in the photo. Right now it's just primered after the new welding. I'll paint it gray to match the dash later. It's held on by three screws which are there on the dash.
Hope that helps some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 014.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	21651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	21652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 016.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	21653  
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 1:21 am Thread Starter

Hollywood, Nice videos. What software do you use for editing?

fp, thanks for the pictures.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

post #8 of 16 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Hollywood, Nice videos. What software do you use for editing?

fp, thanks for the pictures.
It is the standard program that came with my Apple Mac computer. Called iMovie.

Thanks!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #9 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 2:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I experienced my mid-life crisis in October '08 with the purchase of my first street bike, the BMW K1200LT. The family and I have been having fun riding it ever since. I found all of the motorcycle videos on YouTube and thought that it would be great if we recorded some of our fun. I've been experimenting with camera positions on the bike and found that the easiest mount is in the mirror holes on the handle bars. I started with a short peg through the mirror hole that left the camera tilted at an angle and I don't think the fun of the ride is conveyed in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnGYL...eature=channel

I went out to Home Depot and bought some hardware to make a longer shaft for the camera to mount onto the handlebar. I fed a 1/4 inch threaded rod through a 1/2 inch aluminum pipe and cut each to the desired length with a dremel. Then I used leverage and brute force to put some bends in each to get the camera on a relatively level plain when the handlebars are pointed straight ahead. I used a nylon nut to tighten against the camera body from below once the camera angle was set. Here is my first attempt with the new camera mount...it's mostly 10 minutes of looking at my daughter and I...still kinda boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdiPx...eature=channel

Has anyone found a way to mount a camera above the pillion on the trunk so that you can see the road ahead as well as the riders below? If so, could you post some video. I would like to see if it is worth exploring.

I am using an Olympus Stylus 790SW to capture the video. I like it because it is waterproof so I don't have to worry about the weather or water puddles, mud, road grime, etc. The camera will only record 30 minutes at a time. With the handlebar mount, I don't need a remote method of controlling the camera...on the trunk, I would need to find a way to control it remotely or buy a new device.

I recently tried the mount on the left handlebar. I like the left side mount a little better than the right, with a smaller percentage of the screen being occupied by the me (the rider).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oWEA...eature=channel

Ride safe.
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 3:57 pm

Here are some more videocam installations:
One recorder and three cameras, two on the bike and one mounted on the helmet.

http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...MINSTALLATIONS#

I prefer the footage taken by the helmet cam. It shakes least and also follows my "viewpoint".

Unfortunately all my footage is on DV tapes only, I have not learned to download them on the computer yet...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #11 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm

Ari,

Ask Gary and tell me afterwards.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44773
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Here is something from A&S that ole Toad wears. Doesn't require any modification to the bike, other than removing a coupla screws just inside the windshield arms - attach the shelf brackets there, and reinstall the screws. I mounted a leetle cushiony thang between the dash top and the shelf to minimize bounce and shake. Not sure how you're gonna attach the helmet cam - velcro maybe??

Shameless plug for/from me - I've about decided to dis-own my shelf, as the only thang on it is the SmarTire monitor and an XM radio (which I never listen to). If I can decide where to mount the SmarTire monitor, then I'll have no use for the shelf. I spray painted it to match the dash color, butt it's repaintable. Black wuz OEM color.

If you don't find a suitable shelf, ping me and we'll talk $$ and sense!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Dick,

where to mount the SmartTire Monitor

You were asking where to mount the monitor and I got this idea from another member. I'll attach a few pictures that should show where mine is mounted. It fits like a glove and the wire easily slides in to the channel where the windshield arm goes up and down. The upper screw is perfect for a wire clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartTire Monitor 008.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	22027   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartTire Monitor 009.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	583.1 KB
ID:	22028  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Don't know what kind of video camera you use. I have a Sony digital (hand held sort of deal), and just got a GoPro Hero (see photo). I don't like the shelfs, so took mine off, and made my own camera mount. It was first designed for the digital, then I tweaked it to handle the GoPro base. Hope you can see how it's done in the photo. Right now it's just primered after the new welding. I'll paint it gray to match the dash later. It's held on by three screws which are there on the dash.
Hope that helps some.
Ive got the same setup with the hero in the same place found it works quite well
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Hope that helps some.
How are you liking the GoPro? I was looking at it the other day and it seemed like a pretty sweet little camera for the bike.
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #15 of 16 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:38 pm

The wife got me the newer one, with, apparently, a wider angle lens. The only chances I've had to use it were once on the Harley, where I chased my son around on a Buell he was testing. The down side was that when he pulled ahead, the camera would lose him. Even when I was right on him, it looked like he was further ahead than he actually was.

My next experience was running a canyon road on the FZ1 with the purpose of showing the surrounding landscape. For that, it was awesome. Twice I came across deer, and once I chased the last two that crossed in front of me. I was close enough to count hairs, but when I looked at the video, they appeared well away from me.

That's about all I can tell you for now. I'll know more as we ride this spring. As far as the camera is concerned, very nice picture, easy mounting and changing, and amazingly steady. All in all, I like it.
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2009, 5:54 am

I used my hero to take this video the camera is positioned behind the screen like fpmlt.Ive got a ceebaileys grey tinted screen on so camera is looking through that.I am going to see if its any better elswhere on the bike but its not that bad there really.The main thing about the hero I liked was that you can just unclip it and put in your pocket or topbox.This video is a bit boring so you have been warned but was just to test position of camera.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuy6cZFTX4

Last edited by philh24; Mar 4th, 2009 at 5:59 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in