radio problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

radio problems

I just recently bought an 02 LT with a couple of problems that I was aware of. One was the brake lights flashing that I was able to fix by adding fluid to the rear resviore . the other problem is with the radio, the left channel isn't working. Is there anything I can try besides removing the battery cable for a few minutes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 5:00 pm

Re: radio problems

Looks like a lot of message traffic on this issue. I see at the list below posted message.
I also so have seen this very good fix/replacement to the BMW factory radio, if you don't have any luck getting yours working this might be an option..
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43942

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

yea i've read that tread and that's a great alternative if a simple fix won't repaire my radio. since i just got the bike i'm just not ready to dive into something that major. i've also read about some contacts that get corroided and can cause problems with the radio. don't know if that would apply to my problem nor do i remember where their located.

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The connectors for the speakers are under the tupperware on the left side under the stingray. There is another disconnect for the rear speakers under the pillion seat.

Some times you get lucky cleaning up and greasing the connectors. But there have been several radios where one of the amplifier chips has gone bad. The "disconnect the battery" trick is usually for complete radio faults as it is essentially a "reboot" of the radio's brain.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 1st, 2009, 2:33 am

Garage

am I pointing out the obvious by asking if you checked the balance setting?
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Yea i did check out the balance settings, I wish it could be that simple.
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 3:35 pm

Since you have checked the "balance" setting and it does not seem to be working, it is probably one of the power amps that has gone out. There really is no "easy" fix to this and it seems to be somewhat of a "common" problem with the LT. Sorry....

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 1:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider
I just recently bought an 02 LT with a couple of problems that I was aware of. One was the brake lights flashing that I was able to fix by adding fluid to the rear resviore . the other problem is with the radio, the left channel isn't working. Is there anything I can try besides removing the battery cable for a few minutes?

You did not mention if both the front and rear left channel were out. I agree with John. Pull the upper tupperware and check and clean the connections. It is the round connections, twist them apart. apply contact cleaner and then reconnect to see if that is the trick. If it is then disconnect again and apply a little dielectric grease to the pins and reconnect. while your are at it remove the rear seat and clean and grease the far rear round connector as well. If all of that does not work then look at radio replacement.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 1:25 am

Garage

Quote:
Yea i did check out the balance settings, I wish it could be that simple.
sorry, but like me, you are finding out that there is nothing simple about any problem with an LT.
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
You did not mention if both the front and rear left channel were out. I agree with John. Pull the upper tupperware and check and clean the connections. It is the round connections, twist them apart. apply contact cleaner and then reconnect to see if that is the trick. If it is then disconnect again and apply a little dielectric grease to the pins and reconnect. while your are at it remove the rear seat and clean and grease the far rear round connector as well. If all of that does not work then look at radio replacement.
It is both the front and rear on the left side. I'll give the connections a try this weekend, but sounds like I'll be replacing a radio if I want to listen in stereo. thanks for all the help from everyone.
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Hey I'm thinking of removing my factory radio - its working - to do the Jensen Marine Radio upgrade. Maybe you and I can help each other out. Mine is a 2000 so its the cassette/radio/cd changer. PM me if interested

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:24 am

Garage

plus, have you tried to plug in a set of headphones to one of the output jacks to see if you hear stereo through the headphones. That might tell you if its the radio itself or a wiring problem.
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

didn't know I had output jacks. where are they located? like I said I just bought this bike so I've still got a lot to learn about the bike.
Thanks for the offer yamadog, but my radio has the cd player and I perfer to go that route.
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Quote:
didn't know I had output jacks. where are they located? like I said I just bought this bike so I've still got a lot to learn about the bike.
Thanks for the offer yamadog, but my radio has the cd player and I perfer to go that route.

What and miss out on the nostalgia of cassette tapes? All kiddin aside, I do miss my 1963 2 door Electra 225 with 8 track player and reverb...damn pleasant memories attached to that

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Garage

my 2002 K1200LTC has the headset connector right next to the computer on the left side of the front console. If you don't have a helmet with headset setup, find someone that does and see if you can hear both side that way. Remember there is a switch on the comSystem that selects headset or speakers.
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 10th, 2009, 12:03 am

Just finished up on installing my Autocom, Autoswitch, and some Aux lighting.
When I put everything back together, no extra screws, but all things being equal, the sound wasn't coming out. I re-checked my connections, everything seemed OK. I found out that the plugs just under the fairing forward of the left side of the stinger were seated, but not "snapped in". Make sure that you feel the "snap" when reconnecting.

At least I thought I was dancing, til someone stepped on my tongue.
2006 Graphite LT
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 26th, 2009, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

I just received head sets for the autocom pro m1 that was installed on my bike, plugged them in and I'm getting music from both sides. The autocom looks to be tapped into the rear speakers, so if it's the radio or the connections I don't see how it would be playing thru the head sets. So if anyone has any ideas let me know.
post #18 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2009, 3:39 am

You may have sound in both headset speakers but is it stereo? It could be that the Aitocom unit is managing to 'work' on one channel. Unplug the music from the Autocom and use something like this to connect a set of headphones.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2009, 10:12 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If the tap in is the one that includes a switch, then that may be the problem. Mine has become noisey and I have to flip it up and down to clear it. If is does not have a switch then I would pull the tape where it is connected and check that out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in