Who rides with a hip replacement? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Who rides with a hip replacement?

I just had my left hip replaced last Monday. Anybody have advise and/or experience with riding with their 'new' hip?

I ride my LT as well as my K1200S and do not anticipate any problems after I recover (3 months?) Actually--there should be less 'pain in the butt' ! Just thought that I am probably not the only one on this forum with a 'replacement' hip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Hip surgery count?

I had injured my hip and had arthro-scopic surgery to clean it out. (basically I nearly dislocated it and tore ligaments that hold it in socket). I still walk with a gait and it limits my endurance. I do ride my LT though and find it to be pleasurable. I had to give up driving a manual transmission cars because the repetative motion of clutch was aggravating my left hip condition. I can hold it up just fine and only limit myself to what my butt can take. I hope you heal well and get to enjoy the road soon.

Jeff
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 7:49 am

My wife rides with me after having total hip replacement on both hips. She has had fantastic results and is enjoying life again. PTL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:35 pm

I don't have an artificial hip, but I used to design them and am still in the industry. The thing you have to worry about is dislocating it when stopped or riding slow. I think you will have to train yourself to just let your bike drop if it starts to go over on your bad hip side, don't try to save it like you are probably used to. Hopefully it is your right side and you can use your left leg down when stopped. Just be extra vigilant in parking lots, look for gravel, debris, etc. that your foot could slip on.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:49 pm

I've had mine for about 16 yrs and have been riding almost that entire time. I've been down twice. Once on the freeway and once when an idiot made a sudden left turn across my lane. My hip survived both crashes just fine. Don't worry. You'll never regret it.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Hip repacement

I had mine replaced a year ago last September. Things had gotten so bad that I couldn't get on or off the LT. Anyway, after the operation, at my one month checkup, the doctor said to start riding whenever I felt up to it which I did about a month or two later. By spring, the wife and I were ready to travel and we hit the road without a hitch.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LT
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Thumbs up Hip replacement

Your hip replacement should be no cause for concern as long as you follow the rules for post operative precautions. I'm sure your orthopedist went over those precautions with you. You should never flex your hip greater than 90 degrees. If you are tall and notice that when you sit on LT your knees are higher than your hips then your at risk for dislocation, at least during the first 6-8 months. Be carful dismounting, not to cross your legs. This motion can also lead to dislocations. I'm a physical therapist with 28 years of orthopaedic experience and have rehabilitated hundreds patients with THR. I have seen my share of patients that did not follow the rules and had recurrent hip dislocations. Good luck, keep your legs strong, follow the rules and you'll be fine.

Tony D.

Tony

2004 Black K1200LTC
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 7:13 am

Hip replacement

I agree mostly with Tony. I had my right hip replaced when I was still driving a truck just a few years ago (now 60). I told my therapist that I needed to be able to squat (typically a no-no) so I could check things under my trailer and I enjoy bringing my knees up to my shoulders (to stretch mussels of my lower back). That's another no-no. She designed some things into my recovery plan and although I was riding our Gold Wing while I still needed a cane (it would fit in the trunk), today I can't tell that I have any limitations at all!! My hardest work was eliminating the limp. My therapist said if I allowed myself to limp from the start, it would take much more work to get rid of the limp. For more than a year after the operation, I found myself still needing to concentrate to not limp while walking. I guess I needed that long for all the mussels to get built up again. After my operation, I learned what they do (ankle over the opposite shoulder) and can understand why my foot felt like it was nailed to the floor the first time I tried to walk. Therapy is the key now for you.

PS. It was because of my bad hip that my brother built the first set of Mick-O-Pegs for me - they allowed me to flex my hip while riding which I still enjoy doing.

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)

Last edited by MOPMan; Jan 17th, 2006 at 7:20 am. Reason: Added PS
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Thanks for replies!

Thanks for the responses. FYI--I am 52 years old , 6'2" 225 lbs with good health except for my joints (5 knee operations over 30 years--sports-- and right shoulder Rotator Cuff --5 cm tear--repair 4 years ago)

At the end of the first week, I am doing well in PT. I can walk easily and go up and down stairs. My THR was done after a year of pain management could not get the job done. My left femur head was slightly mis-shaped which resulted in too much wear in the joint. I investigated different procedures and devices and decided that a THR (total hip replacement) using ceramic ball and socket (estimated 30 year wear) was the best for me.

Restrictions for 6 months---do not exceed 90 degrees, no crossing of legs, no twisting, bending, etc.

I am concerned about getting on and off the LT. Pre-operation--It is easy to do it if the bike is on the center stand--but harder to do if on the side stand.

Question: My son (1200RT) and I got our Iron Butt award this summer----do I need to requalify since I switched part of my anatomy!!??
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 1:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolk
Question: My son (1200RT) and I got our Iron Butt award this summer----do I need to requalify since I switched part of my anatomy!!??
I suppose that depends on which part.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 6:51 pm
fas

Cool Hip jobs and riding.....2 family situations for ya!

My Dad hates motorcycles. I've been riding since 1971. He refused to ride on any of my bikes. His new 80 year old German girl friend HAD to ride on my BMW. She has very fond memories of riding with her Dad in Germany as a young girl. When she jumped off the bike my 86 year old Dad (who has a new hip) HAD to go for his first ride EVER in all of his life! We had a ball! He had his hip job done over 10 years ago and he wishes he would have done it sooner. He was afraid to do it based on some rumors he heard. He is so happy with his new hip. My brother in law has a bone problem. It was so bad they bounced him from the Navy. He now rides his BMW R bike with 2 new hips. He also is an avid bicycle rider. He has now gone over the $1,000,000 lifetime insurance cap because he was in a crash with a van while riding his bicycle. No problems with his hips. Left arm and hand rebuilt and 7 or 8 operations. He is back in the saddle.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in