LT Trunk bottom moving - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Garage
LT Trunk bottom moving

Hi all,

when I open the trunk, the whole bottom part lifts slightly.

It looks like the inner part is not fixed properly (see pics) so when the cover lace pulls up, the whole thing raises as well.

I have looked into the user's manual and it says that there's a screw that has to be removed to remove the inner box, but from the pics in the manual it seems to be the same screw that holds the lace, which is correctly in place on my bike. Actually the whole screw/lace raises up.

Is there any other fixing point to check?

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200-1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	21638   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200-2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	21639   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200-3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	21640  

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:26 am

Re: LT Trunk bottom moving

The inner lining of the box on my LT is only held in place with some velcro, the only screw (going from memory) to remove was the one that holds the strap in place, I'd suggest pulling it out completely and repositioning it in the box.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 9:30 am

there are 2 little plastic tabs on the liner that snap into little slots in the handle mechanism, looks like they are not seated in. I used a thin screw driver to slide down and guide them in, then things should seat flush and the tabs hold the liner down.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:21 am

I had the same problem on mine. The two clips next to the latches were broken off, however, the key point on this is the bolt that holds the lanyard in place. Yours must be broken also. I was able to fabricate a small piece of lexan that had a preformed 90 degree angle. Trim it down so it is narrow enough to fit through the opening in the removable part of the inner liner, with a hole for the lanyard bolt, and the base of it is wide enough to put two nuts and bolts through the internal mount of the lower case. It works perfectly. If you need pics, let me know.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:38 am

I don't think he's talkin about the liner guys...

Remove the screw and disconnect the strap that holds the lid.. Don't let it go all the way inside the retractor assembly..

Remove the liner in the bottom of the trunk.. It's velcro'd in. Comes out easy..

Four screws hold the trunk in place. Tighten as necessary..

Re-assemble...

That should solve your problem if I understand that the whole trunk is loose on it's mounting.

If you're talking about the liner. It does float around in there.. Use some extra velcro or something to hold it better.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

Remove the screw and disconnect the strap that holds the lid.. Don't let it go all the way inside the retractor assembly..

Remove the liner in the bottom of the trunk.. It's velcro'd in. Comes out easy..

Re-assemble...

That should solve your problem if I understand that the whole trunk is loose on it's mounting.

If you're talking about the liner. It does float around in there.. Use some extra velcro or something to hold it better.

John
FWIW, and you do have to tighten the bolts - AND if you want more (or less) room for the pillion, you can move the trunk forward, or back, depending upon its original postion (there are 2 front-to-back options). Simply remove the trunk, and swith out the placement of the rear deck screws to the alternate locations, and then re-attach the trunk accordingly.

See attached picture; this is the top case in the "back" position. If in the front position, it is aligned with the side bags. The back position gives the pillion another 2 inches or so of space.

I discovered this "feature" when doing the cannisterechtomy. My Pillion complained that she had less room - I had accidentally put it back together in the forward position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	21645  

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Last edited by hallzee; Jan 31st, 2009 at 12:21 pm.
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

Re-assemble...

John
Look at the pix. The LINER is what is loose, you can see that clearly in the photos. I doubt that those 4 big ole bolts that hold the trunk down have all worked loose.
I agree that moving it back while you have it opened up is a great mod!
Matthew

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:12 pm

Were those pics there when I looked at it the first time ?

Hmmmm...

Guess I wasn't quite awake when I got to that one.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
Hi all,

when I open the trunk, the whole bottom part lifts slightly.

It looks like the inner part is not fixed properly (see pics) so when the cover lace pulls up, the whole thing raises as well.

I have looked into the user's manual and it says that there's a screw that has to be removed to remove the inner box, but from the pics in the manual it seems to be the same screw that holds the lace, which is correctly in place on my bike. Actually the whole screw/lace raises up.

Is there any other fixing point to check?

Thanks for any help
It has been some time since I had the liner out of my trunk, but I thought the tether cord bolt goes into the body of the lower trunk, not just the liner. If it is pulling up the liner, then I suspect that either the bolt was placed correctly or something has broken at the place where the tether bolt is inserted.

If nobody else is sure, I can go out to my garage and take mine out and take a closer look at what holds the tether bolt.

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage

First of all, thanks to all the ones who replied with useful suggestions

I can confirm that the problem is only the liner, not the whole top-case.

I had looked in the LT maintenance manual before posting here, and it does mention the screw as a fixing point for the liner, that's why I was surprised to see it moving up so much. I tried to see if it's broken, but I don't have a picture of a "good" one so I can't tell if mine is broken or not.

The liner is slightly moving up also in the area where you should have the two clips next to the latches, but again it's hard to know if those clips are in place, since I don't know how they should look like.

Unluckily the pictures in the maintenance manual are far from being clear. Any picture of the two parts above would greatly help

I guess that the only way to know what's going on, is dismount the whole inner liner and check everything: screw/bolt, clips and velcro.

PS: I was aware of the "mod" that you can apply, by adjusting the longitudinal position of the case, the whole procedure is shown in the maintenance manual. Anyway, since my passenger is still happy with the space she has, I won't touch anything for the moment.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2009, 6:24 pm

Buy a roll of the heavy duty Velcro at your local Ace hardware, custom cut some strips and you're good to go.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:58 am

The tether attachment bolt is carries a cantilevered load and the plastic into which it is threaded will break if the lid is not opened gently. It will also break if the wind catches the lid when open. Once it breaks it cannot be repaired. It appears from your photos that either the fastener has just backed out or, more likely, the fastener has broken loose from the top box.

Just retract the strap and throw away the bolt. The top rests well on the seat when fully open. And the liner will stop moving around.

While you are in there you might as well pull out the mirror and throw that away as well. If it hasn't broken ..... it will. These parts won't be the last bits of crappy plastic you will break. Get ready to replace the inner mirror mounts; they will be broken when removing the mirrors for service by your local shop. (the mechanic won't tell you, they'll just fall off somewhere down the road)

Enjoy your bike and forget about the little nitpicks.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Bob, you seem to know this bike pretty well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
Just retract the strap and throw away the bolt. The top rests well on the seat when fully open. And the liner will stop moving around.
Good advice, if it turns out that it's actually broken, I'll consider your hint
Quote:
While you are in there you might as well pull out the mirror and throw that away as well. If it hasn't broken ..... it will.
It is already broken (the bike is used, 2 years old). The mirror stays in place only because of the magnet and falls down continuously.
I'm already keeping it down in the topcase but I'll soon scrap it
Quote:
Get ready to replace the inner mirror mounts; they will be broken when removing the mirrors for service by your local shop. (the mechanic won't tell you, they'll just fall off somewhere down the road)
Thank God the bike is used. The first owner has already replaced them and added an additional safety with a steel wire to keep the mirrors attached in case they fall down.

PS: I literally lost one mirror on the test RT bike I rode last year. I was shocked and concerned when I had to return it, but their look was of the kind: "yes, we know, we know...."

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #14 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:41 am

Quote:
Bob, you seem to know this bike pretty well

:
I do. If it can break - it has or I have.......

I still like the bike though.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
I discovered this "feature" when doing the cannisterechtomy. My Pillion complained that she had less room - I had accidentally put it back together in the forward position.
I am sure you were very tactfull with the spousal unit and did not suggest she might have become bigger...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I am sure you were very tactfull with the spousal unit and did not suggest she might have become bigger...
Of course... I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid! lol

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 8:44 am

Quote:
It is already broken (the bike is used, 2 years old). The mirror stays in place only because of the magnet and falls down continuously.
When my trunk mirror broke, it was the pivot tabs on the side that broke. The magnet is still in place.

I repaired mine by drilling a couple of small holes.
1. left bottom corner of the plastic holding the mirror.
2. Right bottom corner of the plastic holding the mirror.

Removed the bottom piece of plastic that used to hold the mirror pivots and drilled two more small holes.

3. Left upper corner, aligned with the hole drilled in #1.
4. Right upper corner, aligned with the hole drilled in #2.

I used tthe smallest zippy ties that I could find to fit and joined #1 & 3. then #2 & 4...in essence making a hinge.

Tighten the zip ties as you need to so you can still open and close your mirror.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 8:44 am

Quote:
When my trunk mirror broke, it was the pivot tabs on the side that broke. The magnet is still in place.

I repaired mine by drilling a couple of small holes.
1. left bottom corner of the plastic holding the mirror.
2. Right bottom corner of the plastic holding the mirror.

Removed the bottom piece of plastic that used to hold the mirror pivots and drilled two more small holes.

3. Left upper corner, aligned with the hole drilled in #1.
4. Right upper corner, aligned with the hole drilled in #2.

I used the smallest zippy ties that I could find to fit and joined #1 & 3. then #2 & 4...in essence making a hinge.

Tighten the zip ties as you need to so you can still open and close your mirror.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #19 of 21 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Buy a roll of the heavy duty Velcro at your local Ace hardware, custom cut some strips and you're good to go.
Ron, he's from Italy, don't think there are Ace Hardware stores there.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #20 of 21 Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Same here.

As for your fixing method... it looks like a brilliant solution

PS: Garry is right, we don't have "Ace" but we still have some nice hardware stores

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2009, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Garage

A short update...

sorry for not reporting back before, but my garage is not near home and I have to go there on purpose and in the past weeks, with ice and snow, I didn't use the bike much. This week we're above 0C and it's sunny, so I had time to use the bike and check the topcase.

I raised the liner fully and noticed that the tether attachment bolt is moving, because the plastic "O" shaped ring, where the it's supposed to be threaded, is broken and it's more of a "C" shape now. The previous owner used a couple of washers with a larger screw, to keep everything together, but it doesn't seem to work anymore, or it has anyway slipped up.

I'll try with some stronger velcro as soon as I have time to visit our "Ace" store, but if it doesn't work, I'll disconnect the strap as suggested.

PS:
as for the fixing "clips" that should be next to the latches, I haven't seen them at all, the bottom liner seem to be totally free to move in that area.

PPS:
I love this bike, regardless of this little failures
I'm riding to work this week (40min. instead of 65min every morning and evening) and despite it's 2C I'm not feeling cold at all

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in