Weird electrical problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Weird electrical problem

A weird problem happened to me today when me and my wife went to go for a ride. At first my bike started with no problem. Then a couple minutes later the bike died and the battery seemed to be dead so I jumped started the bike and it started with no problem I road the bike down the road and noticed that the turn signals were not working and the lights were dead. I shut off the bike and the starter was still turning even with the key out of the bike. I had to disconnect the battery to get the starter motor to stop. After a couple minutes I reconnected the battery and guess what the starter motor was not turning. I tried to start the bike and it started with no problem and all the lights and turn signals were working fine. I road the bike home with no problem. Needless to say I am dazed and confused I am wondering has anybody had this problem and what is the cause and maybe a possible fix. Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Maybe an exorcist is in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 7:58 pm

First thing that I would do is place a new battery in the bike. What happened is that you must have a 99 or 00LT and the starter solenoid stuck. This is very common on the early year LT's. The solenoid sticks when the battery voltage is low, the newer (replacement) solenoids will not stick with a low battery, they will either close to start the bike, or stay open because of lack of voltage. You are lucky in that it un-stuck itself after you reconnected the battery. The solenoid is located under the fuel tank, so I would suggest that during your next "full" service that you have the dealer change the solenoid while changing the air filter.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
First thing that I would do is place a new battery in the bike. What happened is that you must have a 99 or 00LT and the starter solenoid stuck. This is very common on the early year LT's. The solenoid sticks when the battery voltage is low, the newer (replacement) solenoids will not stick with a low battery, they will either close to start the bike, or stay open because of lack of voltage. You are lucky in that it un-stuck itself after you reconnected the battery. The solenoid is located under the fuel tank, so I would suggest that during your next "full" service that you have the dealer change the solenoid while changing the air filter.
A minor correction: It is the starter RELAY, not a solenoid. The LT starter does not use a solenoid as many auto starters do.

I agree with you though, probably a weak battery. Time for an Odyssey!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input I will have the battery checked and if needed replaced. You are right I own a 00 LT . I will have the starter relay replaced when I have it serviced.

Ron K
00 1200ltc Grey Ghost
04 vtx 750 Bertha

Rigid Flexability the Key to Sucess
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 5:36 pm

Re: Weird electrical problem

similar. 97 k1100lt turn key on...battery light stays on...notice the fuel pump did not start...other electrical works except fuel gauge. Was told it might be the starter solenoid. help
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:37 pm

Re: Weird electrical problem

Getting to the relay, if I remember correctly, involves removing the tank?

Plus, I seem to remember that the replacement relays were rather expensive?

I bought a little mc "trickle" charger, Battery Tender Automatic, that I attach directly to the battery terminals.

If you don't ride weekly, the LT can run down a battery in between rides.

One of the best things I did was to get a sealed battery. Seems as if the 100F+, 8% humidity ate up non-sealed batteries!

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in