What Do I Use To Clean, Wax and Polish All Parts Of My LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

What Do I Use To Clean, Wax and Polish All Parts Of My LT?

I'm confused, befuddled and unsure about how to give my baby a bath. I'm reasonably sure this question has been asked previously but I couldn't find much related to it in the threads I perused so if someone points me in the right direction, I'll go elsewhere to find the answer.

That being said, the BMW dealer sent me home with the complimentary jug of S100 "concentrate" and a spray can of it for quick-clean touch-ups. At this point, i'm not sure yet what i think of this stuff as i have only used the spray to wipe off an errant spray of tobacco juice that ended up on the left side bag instead of the roadway.

I've read conflicting reports about its effectiveness as well.

Now, I know not to use dishsoap on the finish, never use windex (or any glass cleaner, for that matter) on the windshield, and always use microfiber cloth for the wiping needs. Beyond that however, i'm just overwhelmed with the choices available for cleaning, waxing, polishing and chrome cleaning--what in the heck can i safely use on the plastics, the black areas (armor all?) the cockpit gauges area, the wheels and the windshield?

What are the rest of you using, doing and perhaps most importantly, NOT doing when it comes to cleaning your toy(s)?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 4:40 pm

A good CAR WASH concentrate (Dawn and similar are quite harsh), then a good polish. I have used CanDo (from Saeng/TA) for years, even on the plastic wings with excellent results. Other products are also great - browse the files for other suggestions.

Congrats on finding a GREAT BIKE!!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #3 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Plexus, Honda Spray polish, and AMSOIL Miracle Wash spray cleaner all work well. So does Lemon Pledge.

post #4 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:33 pm

I use a few table spoons of "Simple Green" in a few quarts of warm water. Wash everything wth that.

Bugs - soak a white towel in the simple green mix and lay it across the windscreen/nose cone area - where ever dried up bugs are. Once they've re-hydrated and loosened, easy to wipe/rinse off.

Everything gets LOTS of water for rinse after wipe down with the warm SG solution.

Then wipe dry to prevent water spots (hard water)

Then McGuire's 'gold' wax for tupperware
A leather conditioning cleaner for the leather (Turtle wax product)
Simichrome for metal bits

Rubbing alcohol wipes for 'fogged' radio panel and then I wax it with the same 'Gold'. Haven't had fog come back yet.

Touch ups - use 'Honda Clean' spray

That's my story

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNez
I'm confused, befuddled and unsure about how to give my baby a bath. I'm reasonably sure this question has been asked previously but I couldn't find much related to it in the threads I perused so if someone points me in the right direction, I'll go elsewhere to find the answer.

That being said, the BMW dealer sent me home with the complimentary jug of S100 "concentrate" and a spray can of it for quick-clean touch-ups. At this point, i'm not sure yet what i think of this stuff as i have only used the spray to wipe off an errant spray of tobacco juice that ended up on the left side bag instead of the roadway.

I've read conflicting reports about its effectiveness as well.

Now, I know not to use dishsoap on the finish, never use windex (or any glass cleaner, for that matter) on the windshield, and always use microfiber cloth for the wiping needs. Beyond that however, i'm just overwhelmed with the choices available for cleaning, waxing, polishing and chrome cleaning--what in the heck can i safely use on the plastics, the black areas (armor all?) the cockpit gauges area, the wheels and the windshield?

What are the rest of you using, doing and perhaps most importantly, NOT doing when it comes to cleaning your toy(s)?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
This is what I have been using for year. I use dishsoap and too wash down the bike and then when finished I apply turtle wax in the bottle while the motorcycle is still wet. I then use a towel to dry. Nice smooth clean surface. You probably will here so many different methods, just have to find one that works for you. Why I use dishsoap? I had a friend use it on his $60000 corvette, and is a car junky.
post #6 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Lots of good adivice ... one thing, be careful with Simple Green, the USAF does not allow it to be used on aircraft / components as it is corrosive, so IF you use it, do as recommended rinse with LOTS of water.

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #7 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 8:26 pm

"Pledge" for a quick cleaning. Freaky, I know. Some use it on everything. I've never seen anything remove oil and dirt from a chain or rim like it.
post #8 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Can of Honda spray polish works great.

A lot of the guys here use the Honda spray polish in a can. My local BMW shop even sells the honda spray polish on their shelves along side BMW stuff.
post #9 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:07 pm

My bike is black and I like to keep the finish up on it. Once I thoroughly wash the bike, I use a 3-step clean, wax and polish routine about 3-4 times a year.

1. I use Maguires "paint cleaner" which removes oxidation and any surface haze and light surface scratches in the clearcoat.

2. Next is Zymol polish. It will take a little "bite" from the paint and will then expose a fresh surface.

3. Last, I use Maguires #26 wax for the final coat. This product doesn't dry white but is very durable.

Then I use Maguires Detailer spray in between washes.

Works great for me (especially for black).

Mike
post #10 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:15 pm

For a bike like the LT .... I gotta agree ... Honda Spray Polish is the best. About every 3-4 months a good coat of Cycle Care polish gives it a special sparkle.

Oh and for grimmy wheels .... S100 Wheel Cleaner Gel. Or Griots Garage Wheels cleaner.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #11 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:31 pm

For my money, this stuff is as good as it gets. Sunscreen for your bike.

Kicks armoralls a-- and leaves no build up.

79,000 hits on Google here...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
post #12 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 2:06 pm

As suggested... I've used 303 on many things too; use it mostly on my spa cover. Good stuff and it can be used on many things too. Also, I use Novus (from the harley shop) on the windshield. Many guys use Honda spray polish on the windshield too.
post #13 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I use windex and some of that orange colored kitchen cleaning stuff.
post #14 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 4:21 pm

303 leaves streaks when dry

Personally I don't recommend using 303 on the painted bike parts because it drys with streaks; the honda polish works better.
post #15 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 5:06 pm

1) degrease with a good degreaser if needed or just blow the crap off using a Jet washer
2) using hair shampoo (your wife,s favourite) mixed in a bucket of hot water .
3 ) wash all over
4) rinse off using jet wash (fine spray)
5) use a chammy leather to dry off .
and then watch your baby sparkle and if you want to make your baby smell nice , then spray wd40 around the front of the engine ,and then take her for a blast.

04 YOUR 05

IN Blighty.
post #16 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 6:42 pm

polish

honda spray polish is the way to go.

05' Ocean Blue
Albuquerque, NM
post #17 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Does anybody go back and read all the different replys given? I would be scared to wash my bike again.
post #18 of 24 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:22 pm

110 MPH in the driving rain!!! No rinsing required!!!
post #19 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:40 am

Clean up

Plexus is great for the entire bike!

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #20 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 7:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne
Plexus is great for the entire bike!
Heck, I'll never know unless someone i know has some--ya gotta buy it by the case! http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

So many choices--thanks to everyone who's spoken out on their favorite methods and cleaners--i've received enough suggestions to keep me trying new things for the next year!

I suspect it's ultimately going to come down to personal preferences.....
post #21 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Quote:
--i've received enough suggestions to keep me trying new things for the next year!
This'll getcha past the end of your year long-trials!! I been using this for nearly 7 years - kinda like it, I think!! Doesn't have the flavor that carb cleaner or Loctite has, butt it will go down smooothe if you hold your nose!

BTW - don't use it on any surface that you plan on painting over - paint ain't gonna stick!!!
post #22 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
This'll getcha past the end of your year long-trials!! I been using this for nearly 7 years - kinda like it, I think!! Doesn't have the flavor that carb cleaner or Loctite has, butt it will go down smooothe if you hold your nose!

BTW - don't use it on any surface that you plan on painting over - paint ain't gonna stick!!!
Ummmm.....Did I miss something here, Dick, or was there something else you forgot to mention in this post? I

've been know to be denser than a piece of concrete but based on what you said above, whatever will go down smooth if i hold my nose is still a mystery to me.

Now before a bunch of wiseacres chime in with dubious and ill-mannered suggestions, at least let me know what it was originally that i shudda known, had i known what Dick knows, knowing what he knows now and not knowing now what he knew then....
heheh
post #23 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:42 am

Quote:
Ummmm.....Did I miss something here, Dick, or was there something else you forgot to mention in this post? I

've been know to be denser than a piece of concrete but based on what you said above, whatever will go down smooth if i hold my nose is still a mystery to me.

Now before a bunch of wiseacres chime in with dubious and ill-mannered suggestions, at least let me know what it was originally that i shudda known, had i known what Dick knows, knowing what he knows now and not knowing now what he knew then....
heheh
Hey, can I blame it on cold coffee?? W/O sugar? And almost chewable?? Lemme try this, since now I've washed out the Latte mug and moved on to the Cappuccino.

Try this and apologies for the mysterious bent of the earlier post. HTH
post #24 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, can I blame it on cold coffee?? W/O sugar? And almost chewable?? Lemme try this, since now I've washed out the Latte mug and moved on to the Cappuccino.

Try this and apologies for the mysterious bent of the earlier post. HTH
Well, *lookin over my shoulder* if my wife made the coffee, you can most definitely blame it on the brew--regardless of the temp, and a dump truck full of sugar wouldn't save it, either!

Many thanks for the info, too--i looked on the map they provided for dealers and there's a retailer right by the wife's work, so I'll pick up a jug tomorrow!

I've told the wife all this stuff i've been ordering and buying only works on motorcycle finishes.....hehehehehe

She's gonna kill me when she finds out the truth and realizes i been shirkin polishing her car.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in