speed odometer fix? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

speed odometer fix?

While I am replacing the air filter and the antifreeze in my 2000 lt. I thought I might as well fix the error on my speed odometer. I used Randy Prade's directions and everything has gone well. I went to Radio Shack to get either a small wire jumper or a O ohm SMD resister. The two workers didn't know what I was talking about and couldn't find either one of these.
Where can I fine one of these and can a novice do the sodering or should I take it to a TV shop?
Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Re: speed odometer fix?

Hi.

Wire jumper means a small thin (in this case) piece of wire. As I am not fully familiar with American wire diameters I hope I am not making a fool of myself for suggesting maybe a AWG 26 or higher cable

A 0 Ohm SMD (Surface Mounted Device) resistor is simply a conductor packaged in an SMD package. It does the same thing (0 ohm = wire)

Good luck
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Carl,

I just finished the modification and used 1 strand of wire unwound from a braided electrical wire. One piece soldered in easily and the second piece ended up being a bridge of solder between the 2 points.

Its incredibly small and you need a steady hand, I haven't been able to test it yet but am expecting it will work. I also thought about having an electronics service store do the soldering but gave it a try, it wasn't too pretty.

good luck

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1200lt
While I am replacing the air filter and the antifreeze in my 2000 lt. I thought I might as well fix the error on my speed odometer. I used Randy Prade's directions and everything has gone well. I went to Radio Shack to get either a small wire jumper or a O ohm SMD resister. The two workers didn't know what I was talking about and couldn't find either one of these.
Where can I fine one of these and can a novice do the sodering or should I take it to a TV shop?
Carl
Soldering is fairly easy but until you get the feel of it I'd stay away from anything expensive. Under or overheating the component or circuit board can lead to damage or poor operation. Get yourself some wire and scrap circuit boards and practice first. The main trick is to heat the connection enough that the solder melts on contact. If you use the iron to melt the solder the wire itself may not be hot enough for the solder to flow across the connection resulting in an ugly 'cold' solder joint which can come apart or corrode. If you overheat the connection you can damage the component or cause the 'trace' (plated metal circuit path on the circuit board) to break or come loose from the board itself. Also, be sure you chose the right soldering iron for the job. Circuit board work is done with fairly low wattage pencil type irons. Keep that big high powered soldering gun in the draw unless you're trying to solder large wires or other items that obsorb a lot of heat before things are hot enough to solder.
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:11 pm

You want a low wattage iron.

I used a strand of wire from a scrap of stranded wire.

Tin the piece of wire, then cut it to length.

I had to use a lighted magnifier to see the solder pads.

I placed the wire where it should go and then held the iron ontop on the wire until the solder flowed. When I went to the other end of the wire, I got the solder to flow there, but, unfortunately, on the other end also.

I'm use to soldering on printed circuit boards.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1200lt
Carl

I'm new here and I have a 02 LT and wanting to fix my speed odometer error but can't find it in the search. Could someone give me the solution or the link. Thanks
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: speed odometer fix?

Here's a tip for soldering that I used. Set your PC board inside the corner of a metal work bench drawer which has sides taller than the PC board. Then you can steady your soldering iron on the drawer edge. The effect is similar to bench resting a rifle and makes the process much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2009, 1:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman
I'm new here and I have a 02 LT and wanting to fix my speed odometer error but can't find it in the search. Could someone give me the solution or the link. Thanks
Select "Technical" at the top of the page followed by "FAQ", then "Common Issues" and the fourth one down refers to Speedometer. In there is another link to the article in the archives.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in