Windscreen screws torque - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Windscreen screws torque

While doing some cleaning around my office workspace (there was a section there of bike-related items that survived a bike inquisition-like-purge I did a few years ago..) I discovered something I had long forgotten about. Just before my accident I had ordered a bikescreens screen for Andromeda. I scanned my mailbox (there's crap in there since 1998..) and indeed I found the emails exchanged with Herwini in New Zealand about it. I didn't, however, find what size of a screen I ordered and in the box there's nothing about it.

To make a long story short, the screen looks perfect and I'd like to try it. I did take the windscreen out on Andromeda twice and used the "snug fit" method, but I'd really like to it by the book this time. I scanned through the threads and came up with "25 inch pounds of torque" used in CeeBaileys screens. Is this universal?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Re: Windscreen screws torque

The torque spec I found is:

Windscreen to windscreen adjuster

2 Nm
1.5 lb-ft
17.7 Lb-in

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I needed!

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 9:48 am

Just an idea for you,
The Cee Bailey's windshield on my LT has mounting holes that are larger than the factory windshield,
so what I did is cut some short pieces of rubber hose just a little bit longer than the thickness of the windshield, inserted them into the holes and "slipped" the mounting screws inside the hose,
because they are "just a little longer" the hose spreads out as it gets tightened, holds the windshield very firmly with no worries about cracking.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:49 am

Talking Re: Windscreen screws torque

I found the best thing to do is to get new screws that have the proper thread lock on them. I found that to be more important than the torgue valvue. You don't want those puppies coming loose riding down the road.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Well I always tighten them little screws until they brake in two then back them up a 1/2 turn. Okay thats what all the older mechanics always told me when ever I asked that question.

What I did until I bought a torque wrench that reads that low was use the short handle of the hex wrench to tighten the hex screws. And even then you can over tighten them its just not as easy.

Watch the rubber gasket that goes between the windshield and the mount when it squeezes out a little your done.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in