must I change brake fluid yearly? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
waynejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 39
must I change brake fluid yearly?

I have owned several bikes and never did this annually.
Is it really necessary to do it with my LT?
Maintenance on an LT seems pretty expensive.
Wayne
waynejones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:40 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,218
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

2 years for me. YMMV

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
mwnahas is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:46 pm
Senior Member
 
Cochinosucio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Argyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 494
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynejones
I have owned several bikes and never did this annually.
Is it really necessary to do it with my LT?
Maintenance on an LT seems pretty expensive.
Wayne
You are correct sir! Maintenance is expensive on the LT, but kept to a minimum when you DIY.
Use your best judgement on the brake fluid, but I am a huge fan of preventative maintenance, with all fluids and filters, but especially with the ABS system. You don't want to start shelling out cash on that system.....

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman


Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels




Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
Cochinosucio is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

I'm with Mike on this one. I think the newer models recommend 2 years on the control circuit now anyways. The wheel circuit is more subject to moisture, but I do them together.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:00 pm
Senior Member
 
Mugszy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ridgetown, ON, CDA
Posts: 510
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Hey Wayne,

I hear you regarding the maintenance expense. Not sure how many beemers you have owned or what year your present ride is but maintenance on these bikes can easily be done. In fact I would say that is part of the enjoyment if you are the least bit mechanicaly inclinged.

To answer your question, there have been some changes by BMW on the ABS bleed intervals. The wheel circuits are four and the ABS control unit every two years.

I am building my own ABS service tool from instructions available on this forum which, you may already know, is fabulous! Let me know if I can be of any help.

Regards...

Mugszy

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Mugszy is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugszy
Hey Wayne,


To answer your question, there have been some changes by BMW on the ABS bleed intervals. The wheel circuits are four and the ABS control unit every two years.

Regards...

Mugszy
You have it just backwards. Wheel circuits should actually be done annually and the control can go four years. I have found black every year on my wheel circuits but felt I was waisting my time on the controls as the fluid looked just like new every two years.

The really big change was when BMW went with teflon/stainless steel lines(not on the LT). Then you can just about forget flushing.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:06 am
Senior Member
 
cfell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX, USA
Posts: 7,794
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

every year.. never fear... you will be amazed at the junk that flushes out.

...............
J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cfell is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 1:49 am
Member
 
leiboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Close to Helsinki, , Finland
Posts: 87
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Changing fluid yearly sounds me a bit too often. I think you cannot get anything additional by changing them so often. But of course it is your choice how often you do it.

Changing fluid once in two years is reasonable, while fluid is also absorbing some moisture into itself and with time it is loosing some charasteristics. It might be that fluid would last one or two years longer, but with that complicated ABS system I would not even dare to try. I have done it every second year to my vehicles. All of them. Including LT's.

Changing fluids is so simple work, that I recommend to DIY. You'll save some money and you learn something about your bike. And how dealers are making money. Most of maintenance things are simple and easy in LT. Some things, like changing air filter, is made more comlicated. But again. It is also just unscrewing tupperware. Much work for small simple job.

Regards
Leiboshi
leiboshi is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 2:53 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Clearwater , FL, USA
Posts: 728
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiboshi
Much work for small simple job.
That is what annoys ne the most about BMW bikes. However , I change my brake and clutch fluid annually. The crap that comes out of the lines reassures me that it is the right thing to do.

OTOH my 1986 Nissan Maxima has never had the brake fluid replaced (274,000 miles), so I wonder if it is worth it or not? This car runs strong and has been doing so since 1986 with no brake , or clutch fluid replacement ?????
Oisin is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:03 am
Senior Member
 
MattKas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Clemente, CA, USA
Posts: 1,185
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

One X-LT rider (who recently converted Goldwing) just told me: About once a year when we have to top off the back brake reservoirs with brake liquid to get rid of ABS ligthing; instead of simply topping off, first take out old brake liguid by syringe from the reservoirs. So, you are now filling the whole resevoirs with new brake liquid. He said if you do this once a year you do not have to change your Brake liquid in addition. What do you guys think about his idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynejones
I have owned several bikes and never did this annually.
Is it really necessary to do it with my LT?
Maintenance on an LT seems pretty expensive.
Wayne

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MattKas is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:13 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
One X-LT rider (who recently converted Goldwing) just told me: About once a year when we have to top off the back brake reservoirs with brake liquid to get rid of ABS ligthing; instead of simply topping off, first take out old brake liguid by syringe from the reservoirs. So, you are now filling the whole resevoirs with new brake liquid. He said if you do this once a year you do not have to change your Brake liquid in addition. What do you guys think about his idea?
\


That just makes the reservoir look nice, it does nothing for the crud that is still in the calipers rusting away the metal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:17 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
OTOH my 1986 Nissan Maxima has never had the brake fluid replaced (274,000 miles), so I wonder if it is worth it or not? This car runs strong and has been doing so since 1986 with no brake , or clutch fluid replacement ?????
I guarantee if you pop a piston out of a caliper you will see severe rust there as well in the master cylinder. Does it still work? Sure but not optimal performance and great risk of failure when you need it the most, in a panic stop. I am not willing to bet my life on it on a bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:53 am
Senior Member
 
Ajlelectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 361
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin

OTOH my 1986 Nissan Maxima has never had the brake fluid replaced (274,000 miles), so I wonder if it is worth it or not? This car runs strong and has been doing so since 1986 with no brake , or clutch fluid replacement ?????
You will not see the folly of this until it is too late. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs moisture from the air.

When you need your brakes the most is when you will not have any!

Just pussin' through.
Ajlelectronics is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:02 pm
Senior Member
 
cccpastorjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cornelius, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,986
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

On the LT...absolutely wise to change it every year. On other bikes, we never did it, but the ABS unit (particularly) on the LT necessitates it. My theory is that the tolerances are so tight even the smallest particles seen to make it show warning lights. I would change it every year for sure.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cccpastorjack is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:03 pm
Senior Member
 
Mugszy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ridgetown, ON, CDA
Posts: 510
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You have it just backwards. Wheel circuits should actually be done annually and the control can go four years. I have found black every year on my wheel circuits but felt I was waisting my time on the controls as the fluid looked just like new every two years.

The really big change was when BMW went with teflon/stainless steel lines(not on the LT). Then you can just about forget flushing.

Thanks for clearing that up John... sorry for any confusion caused. I would agree with the majority and do an annual flush on a DIY despite the BMW spec.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Mugszy is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:41 pm
Member
 
leiboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Close to Helsinki, , Finland
Posts: 87
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
That is what annoys ne the most about BMW bikes. However , I change my brake and clutch fluid annually. The crap that comes out of the lines reassures me that it is the right thing to do.

OTOH my 1986 Nissan Maxima has never had the brake fluid replaced (274,000 miles), so I wonder if it is worth it or not? This car runs strong and has been doing so since 1986 with no brake , or clutch fluid replacement ?????
Sounds quite dangerous to me.

Well, in any case I did try how long I can keep clutch fluid (same fluid as brake fluid) without changing it when I had Goldwing (do not try this with brakes). It took four years and after that cluch was working like there would have been air in lines. So it was working like a spring, but cluch was not working properly anymore. I changed fluid and cluch was ok again. And fluid was someway very murky. Maybe water in it.

I think that ABS system, while it has a pump to make pressure, is very sensitive for the quality of the fluid. Better to change it too often than not often enough.

Regards
Leiboshi
leiboshi is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:47 pm
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
One X-LT rider (who recently converted Goldwing) just told me: About once a year when we have to top off the back brake reservoirs with brake liquid to get rid of ABS ligthing; instead of simply topping off, first take out old brake liguid by syringe from the reservoirs. So, you are now filling the whole resevoirs with new brake liquid. He said if you do this once a year you do not have to change your Brake liquid in addition. What do you guys think about his idea?
And to add to what John Z says, the reason this method is no help is the fluid doesn't really circulate through the system. The fluid just gets pushed back and forth as the system is utilized. Therefore, the fluid in the important parts like calipers, pistons, lowers part of reservoirs and controllers is pretty much always at that location.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 5:41 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 2,990
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
One X-LT rider (who recently converted Goldwing) just told me: About once a year when we have to top off the back brake reservoirs with brake liquid to get rid of ABS ligthing; instead of simply topping off, first take out old brake liguid by syringe from the reservoirs. So, you are now filling the whole resevoirs with new brake liquid. He said if you do this once a year you do not have to change your Brake liquid in addition. What do you guys think about his idea?
As I need to do the coolant and brake flush this Spring I have been thinking about this very thing.

I bought a evacuate/brake flush kit to do the ABS. I am going to use the evacuate on front/rear reservoirs, and the ABS cups, refill all with fresh fluid, then start the flush/bleed.

And I did pop a piston cleaning a front caliber. It was clean, but mine is a 07. This is an area that needs attention and is often overlooked. You need to keep those pucks clean. I have cleaned many with fine steel wool over the years.

Just don't let one of your spacers fall out like I did and it is no big deal

I have always changed brake fluid in my cars every 2-3 years. My dad worked for Kelsey Hayes for 30 years so us kids are a bit over zealous on brakes, and maintenance in general.


As all have said it is not very costly for what you gain.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 7:16 pm
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Alrighty then - since everyone is "towing" the line I'll have to respectfully disagree!

I haven't changed the brake fluid in my:

1988 Chevy dually one ton pickup (that I tow with in the mountains)
1992 Ford 1 Ton van rear ABS only (that I tow with in the mountains)
2002 Mercedes C320 ABS
2002 Honda CRV no ABS
2001 BMW K1200LT ABS (that I tow with in the mountains)

AND 30 + motorcycles that I've owner over the years....

...since they were new EXCEPT when I put new brakes on. I always bleed the entire system and rebuild the calipers as well - even if they look like they don't need it. Since 95% of the crap in a braking system comes from the INTERIOR of the old school rubber hoses I replace them as well.

Never, EVER had a problem with any brakes... even towing a 10,000 lb. trailer down steep grades in Arizona and Colorado with the dually. (The trailer DOES have 4 wheel electric brakes.)

Me sometimes thinks a lot of you guys are OCD.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 7:29 pm
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
And to add to what John Z says, the reason this method is no help is the fluid doesn't really circulate through the system. The fluid just gets pushed back and forth as the system is utilized. Therefore, the fluid in the important parts like calipers, pistons, lowers part of reservoirs and controllers is pretty much always at that location.
Sorry John - I totally disagree.

How can a light weight, highly viscous fluid be "static" ? It mixes - throughout the entire system.

(why is old brake fluid brown/black in the reservoir...)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 7:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
And to add to what John Z says, the reason this method is no help is the fluid doesn't really circulate through the system. The fluid just gets pushed back and forth as the system is utilized. Therefore, the fluid in the important parts like calipers, pistons, lowers part of reservoirs and controllers is pretty much always at that location.
This is not correct. Look up diffusion. It isn't a fast process, but if you put two colors of fluid into the system and wait a while, one color will emerge.

I wouldn't depend on this though in lieu of a proper system flush and fill.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #22 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 7:41 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA, USA
Posts: 127
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Will that settles it. With statistics like Ron's who can argue?! Now wheres a good mountain.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
ltride is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 7:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Alrighty then - since everyone is "towing" the line I'll have to respectfully disagree!

I haven't changed the brake fluid in my:

1988 Chevy dually one ton pickup (that I tow with in the mountains)
1992 Ford 1 Ton van rear ABS only (that I tow with in the mountains)
2002 Mercedes C320 ABS
2002 Honda CRV no ABS
2001 BMW K1200LT ABS (that I tow with in the mountains)

AND 30 + motorcycles that I've owner over the years....

...since they were new EXCEPT when I put new brakes on. I always bleed the entire system and rebuild the calipers as well - even if they look like they don't need it. Since 95% of the crap in a braking system comes from the INTERIOR of the old school rubber hoses I replace them as well.

Never, EVER had a problem with any brakes... even towing a 10,000 lb. trailer down steep grades in Arizona and Colorado with the dually. (The trailer DOES have 4 wheel electric brakes.)

Me sometimes thinks a lot of you guys are OCD.
And, Ron, remind us where you live and what the typical RH is there?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #24 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 2,990
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

I have never in 36 years of driving had a brake related failure.

I also do/did my own brakes except any drum or rotor cutting for true.

Only it the last 10 years or so have I been able to afford Braided on all my vehicles, I also run slotted Cryo rotors http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2723A0A0.aspx and Hawk Pads http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php on all my cars.

I still flush my brake fluid in my cars. I schedule it when I change Summer tires/rims for Winter tire/rims.

I guess that does go to OCD but the way I was bought up, summer tires are performance, winter are strait mud/snow.

I have a coolant flush every 2-3 years and a full Transmission flush including the torque converter every 30,000.

Silly me I know, just the way I was taught. My cars are 6 and 14 years old, the old Honda just turned 96,000 and runs like a top. The PT GT Turbo has 36,000 and just had her first round on the tranny flush.

Do you know how long it took me to stop changing Dino oil every 3,000 miles

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:10 pm
Senior Member
 
BecketMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,522
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

I figured that since there is low humidity here, I could streaach out the brake fluid change.

My rear brake got spongy. I "stood" on the rear brake and couldn't get the ABS to engage.

I changed the fluid in front and rear at that point and then yearly.

Course, its an easy job on my 00, especially with the speed bleeders.

Recently, I changed over to stainless lines from the rubber ones. While riding, I pulled on the front brake and it slowly went soft. When I got home, it was easy to find the leaking brake line.

It will be interesting to see what the fluid looks like this coming Fall.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 8:16 pm.
BecketMa is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:27 pm
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Sorry John - I totally disagree.

How can a light weight, highly viscous fluid be "static" ? It mixes - throughout the entire system.

(why is old brake fluid brown/black in the reservoir...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager
This is not correct. Look up diffusion. It isn't a fast process, but if you put two colors of fluid into the system and wait a while, one color will emerge.


Partially agree Ron, but I would say, Ron see Matt's response and Matt, see Ron's response. If everything inside this closed hydraulic system was of the same density and viscosity there would be no (or extremely small) transfer of fluid. However, the discoloration comes from contaminants which are of different properties than the original fluid. Even similar DOT rated fluids of different colors, or different containers even, will not be exactly the same density and viscosity. Maybe hardly measurable, but different none the less, therefore diffusible.

Of course Ron, as you know, that is why the less degradable teflon linings are preferred on closed brake systems.

Regardless folks, my point was to, without trying to sound like a scientist, emphasize the non-compressable and non circulatory nature of a hydraulic brake system to indicate that some fluid may never see the light of a reservoir after system filling.

I can't debate fluid dynamics at the molecular level.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 8:33 am
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
And, Ron, remind us where you live and what the typical RH is there?
That IS a salient point...

Right now the temperature is 52 and the dew point is 53 - and that means dense FOG is highly probable. In Tucson? That happens about - oh - once every 5 years.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
That IS a salient point...

Right now the temperature is 52 and the dew point is 53 - and that means dense FOG is highly probable. In Tucson? That happens about - oh - once every 5 years.
Yes, the main enemy of alcohol-based brake fluids is moisture. I can see in arid climates that changing the fluid is probably a waste of time. However, in the northeast where I live, it is much more of a necessity. I change my cars every 5-10 years, not every other year as BMW recommends. I do think BMW is way too conservative, but I also think that to never change the fluid when in a humid climate is also a mistake.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 9:30 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 2,990
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Yes, the main enemy of alcohol-based brake fluids is moisture. I can see in arid climates that changing the fluid is probably a waste of time. However, in the northeast where I live, it is much more of a necessity. I change my cars every 5-10 years, not every other year as BMW recommends. I do think BMW is way too conservative, but I also think that to never change the fluid when in a humid climate is also a mistake.
Agreed.

Been here for 51 years and this State is horrid on humidity and is why I do what I do.

I will do every two on the bike and think it will be fine after the fist go.

Dot fluid is cheap and the only other thing is the bent wrench I have seen mentioned and try and get that made from someone. Still not sure on how many and what type of speed bleeders are needed for the the Brakes and Clutch on a 07, but will continue to read to so sort that out.

I just think it is good maintenance on a bike and one of the ONLY things we can do to preserve the very precious ABS unit BMW is so very proud of.

The water boiling off, over heating the DOT must make moisture, and that perpetuates the cycle. Not sure how water in DOT travels but that ABS unit is sitting pretty low and those pots are pretty small.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 9:24 pm
Senior Member
 
RocketRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: atlanta, georgia, usa
Posts: 329
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

I happened to talk to the owner of Atlanta BMW today at the bike show. I asked him about the need to change the fluid in the system. He explained that it's NOT a DIY procedure. At the dealership they hook up their "computer" which makes the small "pistons" in the ABS unit pulsate while they flush it out. DIY'ers don't have a method of doing this. If you have your system flushed out and the fluid changed every two years, BMW will replace the ABS system in the event of failure and do it under waranty. Without having the dealer sign off on doing the work, it's a $2000 repair.

Just repeating what he told me. I have no idea of the accuracy of this story.
RocketRon is offline  
post #31 of 38 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
I happened to talk to the owner of Atlanta BMW today at the bike show. I asked him about the need to change the fluid in the system. He explained that it's NOT a DIY procedure. At the dealership they hook up their "computer" which makes the small "pistons" in the ABS unit pulsate while they flush it out. DIY'ers don't have a method of doing this. If you have your system flushed out and the fluid changed every two years, BMW will replace the ABS system in the event of failure and do it under waranty. Without having the dealer sign off on doing the work, it's a $2000 repair.

Just repeating what he told me. I have no idea of the accuracy of this story.
That's called the brake bleed test, and once I'm done with a flush I eventually take it to the dealer for a 30 minute diagnostic session which he charges me $35. The test is a good piece of mind that the pressure build in the system is within spec after work on the brake system. I am also provided the full print out of the testing. Other than that, it is do it yourself if one chooses. Plenty of helpful tips on this site.

If any dealer won't do this for a customer, they will not my dealer. As far as warranty, the manufacturers frequently try to argue these do it yourself matters. If one knows what they are doing and can back it up, the warranty will be honored.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #32 of 38 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 7:30 am
Member
 
leiboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Close to Helsinki, , Finland
Posts: 87
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
I happened to talk to the owner of Atlanta BMW today at the bike show. I asked him about the need to change the fluid in the system. He explained that it's NOT a DIY procedure. At the dealership they hook up their "computer" which makes the small "pistons" in the ABS unit pulsate while they flush it out. DIY'ers don't have a method of doing this. If you have your system flushed out and the fluid changed every two years, BMW will replace the ABS system in the event of failure and do it under waranty. Without having the dealer sign off on doing the work, it's a $2000 repair.

Just repeating what he told me. I have no idea of the accuracy of this story.
This is good comment. Changing fluid is from my point of view still simple DIY job, but this piston pulsating procedure is good to make it perfect. Changing fluid DIY means, that maybe 99% of the job is well done, while without pulsating you cannot change 100% of the fluid. So, I keep going DIY way by myself.

Regards
Leiboshi
leiboshi is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,146
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Agreed.

Been here for 51 years and this State is horrid on humidity and is why I do what I do.

I will do every two on the bike and think it will be fine after the fist go.

Dot fluid is cheap and the only other thing is the bent wrench I have seen mentioned and try and get that made from someone. Still not sure on how many and what type of speed bleeders are needed for the the Brakes and Clutch on a 07, but will continue to read to so sort that out.

I just think it is good maintenance on a bike and one of the ONLY things we can do to preserve the very precious ABS unit BMW is so very proud of.

The water boiling off, over heating the DOT must make moisture, and that perpetuates the cycle. Not sure how water in DOT travels but that ABS unit is sitting pretty low and those pots are pretty small.
The moisture will diffuse through the brake fluid. That is why ALL of the fluid turns darker over time and not just certain parts of the fluid. The fluid mixes a lot more than some seem to think. Every time the brakes are applied thereis turbulence created in the fluid and this causes mixing. And diffusion never rests...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #34 of 38 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 10:53 am
Senior Member
 
NCrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh-ish, NC, USA
Posts: 619
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Was at the BMW dealer yesterday and asked the mechanic about brake bleed interval. He recommended annual bleed, and no more than 2 years between. It's about $90 at the dealer- not bad if you're not comfortable doing this your self. I'll do the rest of the 12k service myself, but I'll have the dealer do this. With parts (from the dealer) and this, I'll have spent around $250- $280. Not bad, it helps maintain the dealer-customer relationship and hopefully helps keeps them around.
NCrider is offline  
post #35 of 38 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Senior Member
 
bowlesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Glen Alpine, NC, USA
Posts: 1,431
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Was at the BMW dealer yesterday and asked the mechanic about brake bleed interval. He recommended annual bleed, and no more than 2 years between. It's about $90 at the dealer- not bad if you're not comfortable doing this your self. I'll do the rest of the 12k service myself, but I'll have the dealer do this. With parts (from the dealer) and this, I'll have spent around $250- $280. Not bad, it helps maintain the dealer-customer relationship and hopefully helps keeps them around.

That's a good way to go as well. I've considered it before when I am pressed for time. especially since I like to ride down there for the bleed test and other maint. parts.

I have been concerned about brake fluid spills at some dealers, but I think the shop in Mathews would do a good job.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
bowlesj is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiboshi
This is good comment. Changing fluid is from my point of view still simple DIY job, but this piston pulsating procedure is good to make it perfect. Changing fluid DIY means, that maybe 99% of the job is well done, while without pulsating you cannot change 100% of the fluid. So, I keep going DIY way by myself.

Regards
Leiboshi
Maybe not on the 99-00 models, but you use the ABS pumps to flush the 2001 and up brake system. So you do get 100% on those. As always follow it up with the bleed test at the dealer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #37 of 38 Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
waynejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 39
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Can you provide me with a link to the instructions for the tool?
Tnx
Wayne
waynejones is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,266
Re: must I change brake fluid yearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynejones
Can you provide me with a link to the instructions for the tool?
Tnx
Wayne
I think this is what you want. Fill Adapter

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Year 2000 k1200lt Brake Fluid change gdb32 K1200LT 5 May 1st, 2008 2:43 pm
03 Brake Fluid Change billybiker K1200LT 7 Oct 11th, 2007 9:42 am
How/Where to Add Brake Fluid? Safedog K1200LT 1 Jul 23rd, 2006 8:31 am
Rear brake fluid reservoir Colin1952 K1200LT 7 Nov 21st, 2005 6:40 pm
Brake fluid indicator issues Rich_in_Tampa K1200LT 2 Oct 2nd, 2005 11:30 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome