Success! But can they get wet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Success! But can they get wet?

Got my PIAA 1100X kit installed over the long weekend (4 days for us feds in DC). Just took them out for a test ride & wow! What a difference. HID kit will be next...

PIAA Instructions say something about avoiding use of these lights when its wet out - lens could crack. Really?

Is that a real risk with PIAA 1100s?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 9:33 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Success! But can they get wet?

I've never heard of that happening. I had these on all three of my LTs totaling over 100,000 miles, ridden through sun, fog, rain, sleet, hail, monsoons, hot, cold, and even a couple of nasty wrecks that totaled two of the bikes (and me almost once). The PIAAs worked through it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
Got my PIAA 1100X kit installed over the long weekend (4 days for us feds in DC). Just took them out for a test ride & wow! What a difference. HID kit will be next...

PIAA Instructions say something about avoiding use of these lights when its wet out - lens could crack. Really?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 9:48 pm

But you do want to shut down your Piaa's before you kill the bike, and make sure they're off before you start the bike. Adds to the life of the bulb and at 35 simoleans a whack, you want to do that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm

Thanks, they came on my used 01 and I didn't know that. I did find out the price, having to replace them last summer (one burnt out)

Dave
2001 K1200LTC, "Mollie"
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

I had a set of OEM Marchals on a '82 Mustang that cracked for no apparent reason back in the day - i think they got wet... So I'm a bit sensative to this.

Thanks for the tip on shutting down. I've seen a lot about how cycling the power affects lamp life.

These will be night-time only lamps for me. Man, I turned them off and it seems like the headlight was doing virtually nothing in comparison.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 4:22 am

Quote:
Man, I turned them off and it seems like the headlight was doing virtually nothing in comparison.
The PO of my LT had installed PIAAs on the bike and I had the very same observation. One night on a dark road I accidently bumped the switch and turned off the PIAAs. I though ALL my lights had gone out.

You will NOT say this after you install the HID. Now I can barely tell whether the PIAAs are on, except they fill in the sides of the road a little better than the low beam alone.

And ditto on turning the PIAAs off when you shut the bike off. When my first bulb blew, its neighbor soon followed.
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 24th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Quote:

I ran mine in rain, hail, and even light snow. Never saw a crack. I loved the PIAAs -- I pulled them off when I sold the LT and they were the first addition to the new bike. Between the PIAAs and HID you'll be in business...

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in